Migrants to use Ferry to cross the channel - proposition

And that’s France’s problem? Johnson and Patel seem to think everything’s OK Blighty side so I don’t see that being fixed too soon. What’s more, it seems the running through the wheat vicars’s daughter’s hostile environment has turned the Home Office into a worthy successor to Little Britain’s computer sat no.

You don’t listen Tim, do you :roll_eyes: Lost cause mate.

Of course it’s the UK’s problem but the migrants themselves will suffer years of not knowing whether they’ll be allowed to stay or not.

Yep - that’s another aspects of the UK’s almost total failure in this area. But hopefully, if France can sort out the crossings ,the Good Law Project or other UK activists can sort out the mismanagement that end.

3 Likes

Listen to what, the migrants will swap a camp in France for something similar in the UK.

We did it with passports though, Vero, AND we were allowed to. We did not force ourselves into a country & expect to be fed, clothed, housed & have healthcare provided by that country’s taxpayer.
Not every migrant is a legitimate refugee despite what the media says - how can they be when so many do not choose to identify themselves?

2 Likes

Then change the rules!

4 Likes

Ermmm, not exactly. Yes the Kindertransport saved around 10,000 children (including an uncle of mine) but refused to give visas to their parents. And overall Britain was not that welcoming. Documents show that far more jewish refugees were turned away than accepted. And none were accepted from after 1939!

1 Like

Couldn’t read this without registering but if the labour market in the UK really is akin to modern slavery this was facilitated by the influx of Eastern Europeans from 2004 which enabled bosses to treat workers like sh1t. They were told “if you don’t like it go there’s plenty more”.

Why not, see my note on that:

These people want to work. They want to be normal members of normal society (as most of them were before circumstances made their society no longer normal).

9 Likes

I feel you are not making sufficient distinction between asylum seekers/refugees - to whom other countries have a responsibility - and illegal economic migrants to whom they do not necessarily?

It suits the UK government to turn a blind eye to illegal and exploited workers because it keeps prices down. Brits who have never lived or worked outside the UK have nothing to compare with, they do not realise how lax the UK government is when compared to other countries. In France employers for example employers have URSSAF looking over their shoulder all the time and they never know when the labour inspectors will arrive either on a spot check or because they have been tipped off. I believe Germany and the Netherlands are even stricter. In the UK there is no enforcement and no checks by the government, there is not even a government department responsible for labour protection. There are a few laws that employers can disregard with no consequences. Sometimes tragedies happen and things come to light that would otherwise never have been known about. There was the Morecambe Bay cockle gatherers tragedy (these were not EU workers by the way). Early in Covid there was the clothing industry scandal where the local health authoritiy identified that immigrants working in sweatshops in crowded conditions for a pittance were causing covid hotspots (I do not think these were EU workers either but I am not sure). Almost certainly the things that become known about for random reasons are the tiny tip of a very large iceberg because the government has no checks or enforcement and is not interested. Migrants know this.

4 Likes

Well, there is no dictinction, an illegal immigrant arriving in France, if asked, wiil obviously not say he is an illegal economic migrant, he will say he asks for the refugee status.

1 Like

Of course there is a distinction. There is all the difference in the world between a person who is fleeing persecution and a person who is not. Applications are examined and decisions are made as to whether he is an asylum seeker or an illegal immigrant. If there was no distinction, what would be the point of examining applications and how would decisions be made that this person is to be granted asylum and that person is not?
I imagine that all murderers, if asked, will obviously that not say that they are murderers, they will say that they are innocent men. That does not mean that there is not a distinction between a murderer and an innocent man. What it means is that care must be taken in making the distinction because people do not always tell the truth. It is exactly the same here.

3 Likes

Really? But that didn’t seem to happen after the EU expansion expansion in countries such as France, Italy, Spain, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands etc. I think it is just populist bullshit propaganda put out by Johnson et al. Sure, by creating an artificial scarcity of labour pay will rise in the UK but there will be a knock on effect on prices and inflation that will negate the benefit.

There’s alway been an Enoch Powell element in the Tory party, it was mobilised against West Indians and the Irish in the sixties (coming over here taking our jobs) and the eastern Europeans were the convient scapegoats for the Brexit referendum.

I think it’s important not to mix up freedom of movement labour issues with non EU refugee/economic migrant issues. though the lying swines Johnson and Gove etc. did so all time in 2016. IMO many gullible voters swallowed it.

1 Like

…because the UK government has outsourced this to landlords and employers.

3 Likes

Sorry, I was not clear: there is no way of knowing if an immigrant is an illegal economic one or a refugee because his interest in both cases is not to be returned back home, and the quickest way for him to be returned home is to say he has no valid reason to migrate. This is the reason all migrants caught say they are applying for refugee status. So there is a theoretical difference between an economic illegal migrant and a refugee status seeker but no practical one.

1 Like

Yes exactly. Trying to make landlords responsible for checking a persons immigration status is laughable, especially when the government does not even issue residence permits to make checks easy. Why should landlords act as unpaid and untrained immigration officers, there is no incentive and I doubt that there are any checks. The same applies to employers and we have seen over the decades how well that works. These things have to be the responsibility of governments and the UK government is not meeting them.

3 Likes

Of course. Which is why this is a long term problem that needs multiple solutions. Certainly it is not the time for the UK to be cutting foreign aid. In fact the opposite is required by the UK and the EU. There are push factors and pull factors that need to be addressed. A good start would have been not to cause chaos in the Middle East but we are where we are. But it still irks me that the US which caused the lions share of this problem just walked away, yet it still fiddles through its two pet rogue regimes, Saudi and Israel. What an unholy alliance :fearful: The UAE has become some piece of work too over the last twenty years.

1 Like