Mobile keep uk number

I guess you realise that with WhatApp you can make straight forward telephone calls… it’s not just a text app :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You were complaining above about the cost of calling friends with UK numbers. WhatsApp would potentially have eliminated that cost. Just sayin’.

3 Likes

I have just switched from UK number you Bouygues (11.99 euros per month unlimited calls/SMS & 50gb data) - this allows calls & texts to French & UK landlines & mobiles.

Having been trying to buy logs for fire over the past month - once I texted from a French number I got replies - before then no replies to a UK number.

1 Like

I believe I have to download it to my mobile… which is not possible… my mobile does all I need it to… for 6€ per month… great value…

@Stella - you seem to have contradicted yourself there!

1 Like

Mat, let me explain…what I meant was… WhatsApp has to be downloaded and my mobile does not have internet connections… therefore nothing can be downloaded…

Yes, my mobile does do all I need it to do… I have no need for internet or such stuff… :hugs: certainly not on my mobile… I have a PC for internet etc…

What I like is the group aspect, and ability to send all sorts of media. Yes you can text lots of people at a time from old fashioned mobile, but it seems more clunky than using WhatsApp, and I don’t remember being able to send photos easily. Invaluable when you are stuck in Leroy Merlin trying to chose between two light fittings and need to consult quickly!

We have a sosh mobile at 1€ a month for our joint use, and the handset cost 50€ and it does the job. So doesn’t have to be pricey.

Yes each to their own, but sometimes worth thinking about new things that are available. Like being able to FaceTime grandchildren.

I do agree, about the grandchildren/family. Skype works well for us… we use my PC and have regular wonderful chats with family across the world. It is great to see a “live” reaction to jokes etc and the lovely smiles that gladden one’s heart. :hugs:

I think you would love watsapp Stella…I only have it on my uk mobile but I think you can download it to a pc too…:thinking:

My son’s girlfriend has just moved to China and they are keeping in touch by watsapp…he’s off to Australia for a year early 2020 and hopefully watsapp will keep us all in touch…:slightly_smiling_face:

It’s all free over WiFi…live video calls…text messaging…sending photos and sending videos…group chats…and group family chats which my son set up for our family which are great and most often feature what he has cooked for dinner…lol…:grinning:

Hi everyone :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a related question and I’d be grateful if anyone can offer any experiences or suggestions (polite ones, ideally!)…

I’ve kept my UK mobile until now and had intended to do so indefinitely, as I have clients in England who call me for advice, but I found out today that I’ll be in breach of Vodafone’s ‘fair usage’ policies if I’m living in France, as their ‘roaming’ provision is really intended for holidays only. Vodafone suggested I switch from a contract to PAYG, although even that might be a problem in the longer term, especially once the B-word takes effect :roll_eyes:

Does anyone on the forum use a UK mobile number long term as a French resident? Surely there must be providers who understand that this is a requirement for some people who run businesses…? I’m surprised that Vodafone - as one of the bigger companies - doesn’t cater properly for this.

When I frst moved over and still had UK clients I got a UK geographical landline number on Skype In for clients to call me on,. and diverted it when necessary. Small annual fee for the number, cost nothing to divert it to landlines, not expensive to divert to a mobile. I think Skype still offer this.

2 Likes

I didn’t know this was even a thing! Thanks @anon27586881 - definitely worth looking into…

I still have a vodaphone UK mobile on a business contract. To date vodaphone have not protested so I’ll keep it until they do!

1 Like

This is what people using U.K. mobiles have signed up to when they agree to the Terms and Conditions.

1 Like

You probably found it by now but here is the link

https://www.skype.com/en/features/online-number/

1 Like

Thanks Dan, that’s really interesting!
So, if you’re in breach of their fair usage policies (in my case definitely through ignorance rather than deliberate naughtiness), and you get caught, then presumably they have the right to terminate your contract. I wonder if they could also pursue you for backdated call charges… :worried:

Andrews & Arnold VOIP will port 07 number in so you could keep your existing Vodafone No with their service.

1 Like

Don’t forget, Jilly, the possibility of a dual-SIM phone and getting the best of both worlds!

5 years on still have and use a mobile from Vodafone. Gets used at most twice a year in the UK - never had an issue - I am PAYG. They won’t post new SIMS to France, But kept my number which after 25 years is the only one any has for me. Found my French mobile is just cluttered with messages from people trying to flog me s*** - now I turn it on get the code for online purchases and turn it off again.

I do have to find my UK mobile every few weeks to make sure I haven’t missed any work so not like I chat (when - where - done is my phone manner).

Did Vodafone tell you or did you do the English thing of looking for problems and ask them? I was away for at least 9 months every year for 17 years when I “lived” in the UK and never a squeak of complaint then or now. Obviously don’t tell them you live in France - but they’ll register phones to business anyway. They don’t care so long as you keep topping up

2 Likes

Like you @chrisell I’ve kept my UK mobile that I’ve had for many years and is absolutely bog-standard and only supplies calls and texts. I hardly ever use it but lots of people still have it to contact me and I get perhaps a dozen calls or texts per annum.

Whenever I switch it on it welcomes me to France, courtesy of Bouygues, And wishes me a happy stay.

There are a few on-line UK Internet retailers who want a mobile number when processing an on-line order, and my UK bank won’t make a call to a French number.

The accounts is a minimalist one with EE.

1 Like