Mobile keep uk number

We are coming up to a year of being here and my wife’s sim with Three UK is still working without problems - I have switched to Bouygues to get a French number (old Three UK sim is now PAYG).

1 Like

Thanks Chris - good to know.

This made me laugh because it’s so often true! So far, I’m finding that the French approach to many things is a little more relaxed and logical. Lots of sweeping generalisations there…

If I spot anything lurking that looks like it might be labelled “can of worms”, I’ll leave it unopened.

I still have my U.K. Mobile number with EE. It works great and all my calls are included in my plan all over Europe and back to uk, also have unlimited texts and loads of data roaming. My french friends what’s app me. That works great too

Might all change in January when the right to roam agreement ends when UK not longer in the EU… supplies will be free to apply whatever charges they like to people with UK numbers outside the UK.

I have a dual SIM phone with both UK and French cards installed - Three for UK and RED by SFR for France. Ironically I tend to use the French phone more when I am in the UK and often use the UK phone everywhere outside the UK as I travel quite a bit and the roaming means that I can call all over Europe within my plan when I am outside the country. When I forgot and used my UK phone to call Dublin from the UK it cost me £35 for a relatively short call. As others have suggested, most people in France are quite understandably reluctant to call a UK mobile as that would be similarly expensive. I do use my French mobile here when calling a local number where I think they may call back etc, but otherwise there is no advantage to using it for making calls here.

Oh, and I use RED for data roaming here and Three for roaming pretty much everywhere else. I could use Three for roaming here of course, but they can get a bit funny and complain if they feel people are abusing the roaming or “at home” facilities. It is also handy to have an alternative for those few occasions when the signal is poor for one but not the other.

regarding Britline. I enquired at this bank, they said Britline only exists in Normandy and areas near the island. I was in 17 Charente Maritime

My Bouygues 10.99 eur/ month allows me to phone and text within the UK as well all included. Goodbye EE.

Yes, it’s a Credit Agricole franchise so, as is common in France, regional.

Hello I have just joined this site. It is a new venture for me so we shall see how my toe feels when dipped into the !urky waters of social media.
My first contribution is to question why an online and telephone bank such as Britline is being described as regional?

1 Like

Because it is an offshoot of CA Normandie - which operates in Normandy. If you went into a branch in, say, Caen you would be able to operate your account just like any other CA Normandie account - if you went into a Branch in Marseille you would find a more limited range of possibilities (probably just deposit/withdrawal).

But you are correct - with the development of Internet banking it increasingly does not matter where your bank is.

Thank you.

We have our account with CA Britline in Normandy. We opened it when we were still UK residents, and then we moved to Paris, and now we’ve move to Dept 39. It has never been an issue that we don’t live in Normandy… to deposit cheques we use our local branch here to save the cost of a stamp to send it to Normandy. Everything else is by phone or online so doesn’t matter where the branch is.

Hello Geoffrey and welcome to the forum…

:relaxed: :relaxed:

Thank you.

1 Like

As social media go I would rate ours as murky, lurky is a shade too murky for me, and furky definitely off limits.

I haven’t canvassed the opinion of experts though, of which there are heaps on SF.

Your toe is going to do just fine IMO :hugs:, and so will all the rest of you. Be very welcome!

long time since this discussions, but we joined Britline before buying in France but well after deciding on a place in 17. No problem where you are, except you are of course with the Normandie branch of CA which potentially has some limits on cash withdrawals etc but nothing insurmountable. The English speaking staff, which we haven’t needed much, are excellent, but otherwise it is still a French bank with all that entails and nearly all communications (and the app) are all in French.

Hi I’m not in this topic nor Normandy.
I’m extremely worried about the cagey attitude of the Halifax, not allowing me to transfer money , as reflected here :

I have just seen this today via “The Connexion”
We are investigating reports of some UK banks closing accounts or stopping services for customers living in the EU. We would be interested in particular if any readers are customers at Natwest or RBS and have had any news of this (we have no reason to assume that they are concerned, but this banking group is not being very forthcoming with information). Also have any readers, wherever you bank, had reassurances from your own bank that nothing will change? Please let us know here or at news@connexionfrance.com

The topic that you should read and post on as it is about the subject of the banks can e found here:

1 Like