Monsanto reconvicted

(stella wood) #1

Will this make folk sit up and take notice… or will the farmers (big boys) simply use their clout to continue using Glyphosate…

1 Like

(Jeremy Fogg) #2

Glyphosate is bar none the safest herbicide available. It blocks a process only found in plants and to a lesser extent bacteria.
It is exceedingly useful in no-till agriculture.
There is a lot of bad science involved - propagated by conspiracy theorists - as with the associated GM technology.

0 Likes

(Helen Wright) #3

In my experience it blocks natural processes in animals too…and by extension humans…

Many many years ago I lived on what some may consider a smallholding surrounded by farmland…the area was designated by Natural England as one of ‘Special Scientific Interest’…

We personally used absolutely no chemicals whatsoever on our land (or in our home) but lost a puppy…we arranged a private autopsy…glyphosate was the substance that killed him…so you’ll forgive me for not sharing your enthusiasm over Monsanto…nor do I share any enthusiasm for genetically modified organisms…

0 Likes

(Jeremy Fogg) #4

Who conducted the private autopsy ? And what was the mechanism of death ?

0 Likes

(Helen Wright) #5

A vet…independent of the vet who initially tried to save our pup…the result was “poisoning”…The vet noted a big strong healthy puppy…fur smelling strongly of chemicals… free from internal parasites…

It wasn’t just us…during crop spraying many seizures were reported in their dogs by local dog walkers some resulting in death…

0 Likes

(Jeremy Fogg) #6

The greatest threat with glyphosate is the detergent added to it.
That farmer in the USA must have drunk the stuff.

0 Likes

(Helen Wright) #7

You’ll maybe not be surprised that I don’t share that view either…x :slight_smile:

Monsanto patents (animal and plant) don’t exactly have a great track record…

I’m surrounded by farmland here too…one side crops so subject to spraying…

Every summer I’m watching out for the bee population…(as well as my Border Collies…) x :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(Jeremy Fogg) #8

Plants and seeds have been patented for decades and you’re ,often not technically allowed to sell rooted cuttings of geraniums.
Read the labels !

0 Likes

(Mary Wolcott) #9

Very glad you posted this. Thanks.

There are a lot of sound, well-researched articles and reports on agri-business practices and pesticide issues. It’s not a simple problem, and there are a lot of serious issues including the obvious targets like widespread pesticide use. I hope in my lifetie, the worldwide business of agriculture moves on to the issues that get to the ‘wicked’ problem, the heart of the issue which includes why the widespread practice of using pesticides, became that way.

Regarding glyphosate, I read the following information in Environmental Health News:

"Glyphosate has been used as a broad-spectrum herbicide, meaning it kills all vegetation it’s sprayed on, since the 1970s. Its use at the outset, however, was limited. Farmers and land managers could only spray it where they wanted to kill all vegetation, for instance, between the rows in orchards or vineyards, in industrial yards, or along train tracks or powerline rights of way.

"That all changed in 1996, when the Missouri-based agrochemical company Monsanto (now part of the pharmaceutical giant Bayer) introduced glyphosate-tolerant crops—first corn, then soybeans, cotton and others. Farmers could spray it on and around their fields without accidentally killing their crops.

"The chemical soon became the most heavily used herbicide in history.

"Global glyphosate use has risen nearly 15-fold since the mid-90s, with an estimated 19 percent of global use happening in the U.S. alone.

Since this change, much has been made about the potential health impacts to humans from widespread use. In 2015, the World Health Organization classified glyphosate https://www.iarc.fr/featured-news/media-centre-iarc-news-glyphosate/ as “probably carcinogenic to humans” due to a growing body of research linking glyphosate to non-Hodgkin lymphoma and other cancers."

Articles published more recently state things about how the excessive use of glyphosate: Glyphosate is the most commonly used herbicide and was considered to be non-toxic. But its use in excess in agricultural lands has polluted soils and waters. Nowadays, glyphosate residues are found in soil, water and food. As a result glyphosate causes severe acute and chronic toxicological effects…

1 Like

(Jeremy Fogg) #10

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

0 Likes