Most disgusting thing you have ever eaten?

For me the grossest thing I have ever put in my mouth and eaten was a century egg.

I cannot even describe the taste.

1 Like

Without doubt TĂŞte de Veau closely followed by Ris de Veau! Indescribable.

2 Likes

see now sweetbread is on my list of things I like.

1 Like

Anything with almonds in.

If there are almonds in something, even a tiny amount, I will know with the first bite. Makes me heave :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Ate what was supposed to be lamb in Madras but it turned out it was actually dog.

No great taste and very tough !!!:nauseated_face::dog2:

1 Like

Without doubt, andouillette :sob::astonished::fearful::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

I once had langue de boeuf and it was disgusting.

1 Like

Love Andouillette-so do my two daughters! Must say though that we often get the waitress querying it when we order it. They often come back to check that we actually know what we are ordering!!

1 Like

Can’t think of anything ! I do eat just about everything…!

1 Like

Snails eggs ! :face_vomiting:

1 Like

If I don’t like the thought of something then there’s nothing would convince me to try even a mouthful…so I’ve never eaten offal of any description nor game…the worst thing I have ever eaten was a maccy d’s filet-o-fish…don’t know if that particular outlet was having a bad day but it was so horrible I’ve never eaten one since…x :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In Africa I have eaten many gastronomic oddities including fried flying ants (minus their wings which they shed voluntarily and en masse) and caterpillars which are fat, hairy, and full of green ooze.

One dish I couldn’t face was icifu (pronounced eecheefoo) which is cow intestine and is cooked with its faecal ntestinal contents still present, regarded as a great delicacy (like tripes which is distantly related) but for me is impossible. It is eaten with a stiff maize porridge, ubwali, which is a staple in sub-Saharan Africa, and very agreeable and healthy, combined with green vegetables (pumpkin leaves) or beans, or occasionally with a little salted fish or meat.

2 Likes

The “Iciu” sounds about as appitizing as Andouille de Guemene, probably smells similar too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

You bet, Bill! Cooking icifu invites a swarm of huge, repulsive flies, the size of your thumb I kid you not. I wouldn’t be surprised if several of them aren’t cuisinées ensembles. But it all goes down the same way, and nobody ever seems the worse for it.

3 Likes

How short sighted. You are missing out on one of life’s joys.

:relaxed::grin: I don’t let on what is in a dish, if I have added something OH “does not like” …:neutral_face: not until he says “delicious” and then asks the question…:grin:

It was a nightmare when we were first married… but I am quite devious now …

4 Likes

I’m pretty careful and not too adventurous about food. Some of the stuff you’ve mentioned seems far worse; however I’ve never forgotten the moldy bread that I was hastily chowing down on before I took a big bite and had a mouthful of mold. Happened when I was a sophomore at university, with my favorite peanut butter and jam inside. I was late for class so put it together quickly in my dorm room.

That happened about 35 years ago!

2 Likes

For me it’s the smell that puts me off a dish. I have been known to eat soup in a Chinese restaurant whilst pinching my nose. It tasted fine but smelled dreadful. In March we were in Spain and I tried a local dish. The black pudding in it was fowl so I pushed it to one side and ate the rest!

1 Like

Foul, perhaps a Freudian slip, who knows.

2 Likes

Crocodile, at the Carnivore in Nairobi; lion, or that’s what they said it was, in Rwanda where everything that moves seems to be on the menu. We were with a group of ornithologists who chose pigeon…

2 Likes