Mozzies - before and after - what works for you?

Apaisal doesn’t for me. In fact nothing does. No more sundowners in the garden although last night hundreds of swifts swooping and screeeching was a joy - hope they caught some of the critters. Didn’t see any bats. Perhaps they’re hiding since covid. Or was it a pangolin? Our local Chinese resto has started telling customers they are not Chinese they are from Cambodia. Aw. Reminds me of a mate during IRA days scared to open her mouth. Going off piste - I live in 37. Who is my nearest SF neighbour?

Have a look on the map.

Good leggings vels of vitamin B12 works with all at stopping them!

We use a citronella coil under the table on the terrace - lit an hour before supper. And have citronella candles on the table, again lit an hour in advance.
On these hot nights we also have a fan at the end of the table - that works well, keeps them away.
On nights when they are bad, wear lightweight socks to keep them away from toes / ankles and a long-sleeved light shirt.
It means we can enjoy supper outside.
If I am bitten I’ve learnt to leave it strictly alone for 10 minutes or so, after which it tends to disappear.
If the itching persists I use “Baume Chinois” by Body Nature which is a mild version of “baume du tigre”.
I’d rather not, but to sleep at night without the infuriating noise, quite apart being bitten, I use the plug-in citronella thingies.

1 Like

They don’t bother me. My partner is bitten to bits. I don’t know what that says. I do know that I can get thwacked when asleep at night if one gets into the bedroom - at least, that’s the explanation I’m given.

We are the same, I’m rarely bitten. When we lived in subtropical Queensland dh was having a terrible time of it. Within a week or so of taking B12 they left him more or less alone too.

If anyone is acquiring a new home or working on an existing… I really do suggest mosquito blinds. We’ve them almost everywhere, which means we can leave windows open and get lovely breezes, without worrying about mozzies, flies, whatever…

2 Likes

Most “Chinese” restaurants in France are actually run by people from Laos or Cambodia, or sometimes Viêtnam.
“Chinois” tends to be a catch-all.

Have a carp pond. The fish, plus the swallows and bats the pond attracts, eat the lot!

So the solution is to have slashings of marmite then!!

3 Likes

We don’t get mossies here but have lashings of Marmite

2 Likes

I hope that’s true a bit further south too!

Works for us too Sue. In fact I’ve just spilt wax on the table poking at the “wasted” bits at the rim :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Always the way, your partner is what would be called a sacrificial anode in sailing circles.

1 Like

Or beer :wink:

Yes plenty of that too, afer all better to cover all bases :beer:

1 Like

Or Vegimite in my case :rofl: which begs the original discrepancy, himself eats neither!!

1 Like

Agreed. We’ve got magnetic moustiquaires on all our doors so the pooch can still go in and out as he pleases, and more sturdy pull-down ones on windows in bedrooms. Proper life changer!

1 Like

Maybe he should try applying a thin layer all over :joy::joy::joy:

vegemite