My best friend - le bon coin

Andrew, forgive him, I think he had FIZZY lemonade this evening!

Thanks Celeste, that's lovely and yes I'm a swimmer (in both senses). My kids are everything to me and in a way we're doing all this for them, we're lucky too to be surrounded by my OH family who have jumped to our aid since the phone call yesterday.

Thanks Andrew, Will try Firefox and see if that works.. Again good luck with everything...can't have too much of that!

:-D

What a great reply Celeste and it puts everything into perspective, thanks! In fact I only said to my OH last night "we're in good health, the kids are wonderful, we're not homeless, look at what's happening around the world with all the wars and disasters etc. it could be far worse!" and that seemed to put things into perspective a bit! the coincidence is rather spooky - your problems and accident at the same time. our problems and my accident 4 weeks ago... :-O

PS, my post wasn't that clear - we're going just down the road to Carmaux, the other side of the Tarn from you if you ever come down from your mountain! The couple we're buying from are buying a tabac in nice ;-)

It's them and shisha bars. But more cash in the till for you, if they do it....

Cheers Joe ;-)

I'd like to think that it'll happen ;-)

The problems of July and August were exactly what we wanted to avoid, that's why all the dossiers were complete by the end of June and everything that needed doing for the tabac was done, and then it all changed...!

Cigarettes will never be sold in supermarkets - the entire buraliste union will stop that in the same way they manage to lobby for help for those near the borders etc. Yes you are right that there are no new licences and some licences are revoked for various reasons. The tabac have the monopoly, they are the only ones who can buy and sell cigarettes and the government isn't going to give up the huge profits it makes out of this industry either, they through the douanes, control pretty much everything down to the tiny 6% commission which is paid to the buraliste! Brother in law has been a buraliste for the last 15 years and does very well out of it and no sign of any changes in the industry either - check out the buraliste's website. It'd be like the government's plans to scrap the taxi licences and controlled market, they thought about it then backed down. I think he's just a disgruntled buralist who isn't doing as well as you think he is!

Have had moments where we haven't been too calm...! Many thanks Kerry ;-)

Thanks Patricia ;-)

That's exactly what we intend doing, Roz. Many thanks ;-)

Thanks Damaris ;-)

Cheers Brian, spero di si! vedremo ;-)

Thanks June, no knack, I've used it since it started and have bought and sold so many things on it. As Sheila says, try another browser, I use Firefox ;-)

Wise words Ian, an old motto - anything will sell at the right price, you just need to know what the right price is!

Cheers Graham ;-)

Woah, I know from an acquaintance with a really nice place where there is good music and decent food. His place is a bar tabac and they rather than the ones who sell newspapers, stamps, lottery tickets and so on are likely to be banned from selling tobacco products because they provide food. Nobody can smoke in them already, so snatch a quick fag outside, but now they'll need to go down the road to the tabac (if it is open) to buy their smokes. Guess they will all just become bars if the legislation goes through.

Well Andrew, if a positive attitude can do it you will win the gold. Hope it goes well. Keep us informed.

I think he said the tabacco products would end up being sold in supermarkets, because I remember thinking: like the UK then! I don't really understand why this is happening, but the man seemed very depressed about it. He's had the 'tabac' for decades, so I can see why in terms of turnover drop.

He explained that the French state refuses to give or renew 'licences', this is what happened to him anyway, and he's got one of the most popular tabacs in this 40,000 inhabitant town, it's right near the harbour. I doubt it's that black and white. I haven't researched it and I haven't seen anything in the French media about it, although I follow them almost daily.

If someone knows, please send me a message.