New 1st July postal charges and processes

Has anybody been charged as per the new structure yet?

That might be because they have set up to use IOSS which means the sender is paying the dues.

I pressed like but I don’t like it John!!! SERiously - for a GBP 2 item. DH is furious and says we are just going to reject the parcel if asked for €8?10?12? hence asking if there are penatlies for ‘refusing’ a parcel.

We received this yesterday from UK. Postie delivered as normal. The customs declaration is dated 23 06 2021 but no evidence of when it was actually posted. No extra charge requested by La Poste.
Newsstand deliver world wide and we did get a notification from them a while back saying they had all bases covered to continue to honour our subscription without further costs.

On the same subject I have an 80 page A4 document that I need to post to UK. I will follow the La Poste online procedures which I find very good ie customs declaration etc Will my letter arrive in UK and the recipient be free of further charges?

I send documents to the UK every couple of weeks. If you buy stamps on-line from LaPoste, it will ask you if it’s goods or documents. If goods, it will present you with CN22 (or 23 I forget which). If documents, it won’t. I sent my usual package off at the end of last week with “DOCUMENTS” clearly written at the top as usual and it was fine.

1 Like

If it’s sent as a letter you should hopefully be fine, but otherwise I’d have thought you’d have customs and VAT on a £2 item which would be very little, then for an item so low value I would hope they’d give you the option of the lower online admin fee of 2€ given it was a ‘letter’ in an envelope for an item that cost almost nothing, so you could get away with 3€-ish in theory if they were to be reasonable and fair and the luck gods were shining on you that day. But perhaps that’s wishful thinking and they’ll go for the higher fee. It also depends of course on what it’s declared as at customs and how rigid they’re being with applying the process from day 1. The only evidence I’ve seen seems to suggest that at this stage they’re trying to make it as smooth as possible.

In terms of rejecting it, no there’s no comeback for you as far as I’m aware, the opposite in fact as under distance selling regulations you have a right to return, although without your proof of delivery when you send it back (which you won’t have as you obviously never accepted delivery) the seller could perhaps make a fuss about refunding you your £2 and say they never received the item back, although technically the DSRs don’t actually require you to receive the item to cancel the contract. I do however have a friend who’s had a hellish time since January selling things from the UK to EU and having a significant number of people rejecting deliveries so as not to pay the extra charges, which seems to result in weeks if not months of delays where the package just goes missing and she has to spend months arguing with the delivery service about where it is, and months arguing with the purchaser about why they can’t have their money back until it’s eventually returned, if it is, so from an ethical standpoint I’m not sure I’d reject items unless entirely necessary as it does seem to cause hassle for the seller often. But we are talking about a £2 motor belt here so it’s not like it’s a priceless artwork or granny’s ashes so ethics are minimal really :joy:

1 Like

this is like being back in the dreary 1980s…never before have countries deliberately put back the clock on progress,

4 Likes

Indeed - or Victorian Britain!
Never before has a country set out on trade talks with the explicit aim of introducing barriers!

3 Likes

and all for what purpose? Can’t be the lazy Brexit mantra “to take back control of our money, our borders, our laws” surely, as all those things already existed during the 40 odd years Britain was a leading member of the EU with all the things that were negotiated over the years including the ability to stop EU laws from being passed, and the massive refunds they obtained.

1 Like

I am typing this on a Samsung Pro 360 Laptop that I bought from eBay US where even with with Customs & Post it was cheaper than anything here or UK or DE. Another item on its way from Canada where again cheaper. Bit of a nuisance getting used to the US QWERTY keyboard but otherwise great!

I can’t help but think that this is going to backfire horribly for the EU.

In material terms the vat and custom charges are not the real killer on low value items…its the carrier’s “handling” charge for manually processing of around €8 what ever the value
I’ve spoken to a couple of mag’ publishers and they seem to use mailing houses that are gearing up with IOSS which should mitigate most costs, although as mags (and books) are zero related in UK but 5% here rates to EU subscribers might increase marginally.

you overlook the point…the UK majority population eg they put Johnson in No10 want nothing to do with the EU…and he is egged on and only leader at the grace of the right wing of the Tory Party

But we’ve already said, in fact from your own email you linked me to, that if you pay online beforehand you will pay either 2€ or 5€ depending on the specifics of the parcel, which was what I was saying to @toryroo. Given her item is a “letter” if she is lucky they may charge the 2€ instead of 5€. Customs documentation specifies you have to put phone and email of the recipient so the douanes can contact if need be for this reason, so if the system works, and it is if, there should be no reason for most people to pay the 8€, La Poste will send you a text and/or email for you to pay online at the 2€ or 5€ price points.

how different is a US keyboard to a uk one?

Just enough to be annoying

1 Like

The @ tab is above 2 so I had to change to a US layout unless I wanted " that have changed places.

US one looks very little different, for single finger typist …like me!.. probably no real issue

Didn’t we?? That must make me some sort of exception then.

1 Like

I imagine that a lot of us found out all the facts that were available at the time!

1 Like