New criteria for classification

For gîte owners preparing to apply for their star rating , or coming up to renewal, here is the new set of criteria that comes into force next February.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000044413389

As ever some thing that are truly silly…but they have removed the obligation to provide a real telephone. And you get 2 points for having a charging point for an electric car.

2 Likes

Having had a brief skim across the classifications it is clear that we live in the category of “un hovel”!

Your gîte is beautiful!!

(We rarely invite gîte guests into our house, so perhaps you are the same as us - a well-insulated, beautifully decorated and renovated gîte that is impeccably clean. And a drafty house with many things that don’t work, covered in dog hair! )

2 Likes

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!. :grin:

Thanks - the gite is very pretty, our home however does fall short on just about everyone of those categories!

1 Like

Well not sure if we should apply but if we gained a classification the cotistations who be lower. We are getting the interest and resevations but the overheads are too great.
The tax de sejour has suddenly chaged dramaticly since we moved to 24230 ad i admit i can not understand the working out of the rates.
Still getting conflicting advise re AE and de regging for prof status
Would be great to talk to someone in the same sityation who has the answers/.

Well we so not have double glazing or a clothes dryer but we do not rent in winter.
One of the bedrooms does not have a heated towel rail. at the moment.
Looks like they are fussy.
[/quote]

Barbara I’m sure I have answered this question of yours before……if you currently run a LMP (louer meublé professionnel) as an AE paying cotisations etc, then you need to close down your AE. You can then apply for a non-pro Siret number and operate as a LMNP (louer meublé non professionnel) as long as your turnover is below €23,000 and isn’t more than half your overall income.

You can then declare in your tax return as a BIC with either a 50% abatement, or if you have a classification 71%. The classification is done on points, and you only need a certain number to achieve each star rating. So generally there are things that you can miss out and still meet the level you want.

If you just want classification for the tax break then you don’t need to go for the highest you can achieve anyway. We had enough points for 5* but chose to have 4* as that way all the clients feel that we have more than met expectations, the classic mantra “under-promise and over-deliver”. Anyway we couldn’t charge more as market here is very price sensitive.

2 Likes

Thanks Jane.
Our accountant seems to be getting it wrong.
Need to send her your message on here.
23000 euros is not much income is it really.

1 Like

would like to see your gite Jane

Atelier-jura.com

(Which we really must update!)

1 Like

Lovely place Jane.

1 Like

Net or brut? For one person or more? It depends doesn’t it. Lots of people doing my job earn about that much so I don’t find it shocking.

Very impressive explanation :slightly_smiling_face:

Brut. It is also supposed to be less than half your overall income, so very much intended to be a non-professional addition.

(And as a piece of thread drift, non-europeans now wishing to come to France to run gîtes must do so as professionals and meet the professional criteria. Otherwise will not get a visa that allows them to work. Gone are the days where you could do a half-assed gîte, earn a few K a year, and get into the health system on the back of this essentially for nothing as income too low to pay).

4 Likes

Or less :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

Good morning

The 23000 euros is to take care of both of us and the cats.

The cleaners bill is approx. 10 percent of the takings as there are several

Reception rooms and 3 bedrooms ensuit. I am not well enough to do the cleaning.

We have to have insurance for the property and pay tax de sejour, pay our accountant who really does not seem to understand our situation.

We created a very special place to stay and love to see people enjoying their time here.

Since covit our buisness faded away and we sold Clos des Saveurs in Gensac

And bought this property from a friend.

This was a wise move even though we discovered so many problems with so many

Things including an undeclared foss and a crazy electrical situations which had to be sorted,

So there we are.

Regards

Barbara

Glad to hear it.
Sounds like you’ve had some rotten luck in the past… but… hopefully all is well, at last.

[quote=“JaneJones, post:1, topic:37666, full:true”]
For gîte owners preparing to apply for their star rating , or coming up to renewal,

By the time you pay for all the insurance policies and take care of the ageing car…which has no air con.
You really are left with no change,
Who said that when you get old it gets easier?

Do you not have other income - UK pensions, income from savings, as well as French pension from the AE? As that might be what is causing your accountant problems as if you don’t have the equivalent other income then no option but to be LMP, professional.