New windows in stone house

We need to install some new windows in parts of the house we are renovating in Southern France.
We got a quote for windows made of oak with security glass. I realize oak is top quality and we like to keep a natural wood look. But, Its very costly, and I wonder if there are any other good looking and durable options to oak? For instance another cheaper type of wood that can be lacquered? The windows are two pane type.
The builder also suggested aluframes in dark color, but Im not sure if I will love that ten years from now.
Thanks for any advice.

I had a similar problem. I found that the made to measure prices locally were prohibitively expensive for my budget. I then rethought the issue, so in almost all cases I decided instead to adjust the openings to enable me to fit standard off the shelf double glazed timber window frames. Despite the extra masons costs to do so, it was still massively cheaper.

Provided you re-treat timber frames occasionally I am not convinced there is any benefit in paying for aluminium exterior sheathing. I would personally not lacquer timber, since that requires to be stripped off and sanded down before recoating. I would either use linseed oil (as we used to do for elm and oak and similar in heritage buildings in the UK, or a self-chalking wood treatment (eg Sadolins, Sikkens) that can be recoated without sanding or trouble.

In my case I was able to source all I required in a standard range (made in Poland) from Leroy Merlin about 3 years ago, in Meranti, treated, for the sum I was quoted for a single frame for one made to measure opening. These have worked fine for the last couple of years, although they should be treated (Sadolins/Sikkens) 2 coats before installation. I think the ironmongery in this cheap range is more flimsy, hinges and locks, than that installed by the local window factory here, but it all works.

(I am confident I had a good price for the made to measure version, because the quote was the best locally available window factory supplied, obtained for us by my next door neighbour, who has just retired as a menusier).

Obtaining made to measure windows in the UK is much cheaper in my view, and it may be worthwhile claiming back the UK VAT, working out the French TVA and customs dues, and doing that.

1 Like

I am allergic to unnecessary maintenance, so we have now replaced most of our windows with mixte bois/alu. Ours is an old stone house and the exterior aluminium is a dark colour that looks ok with local vernacular (advantage of alu you can get any colour you like), and the inside is ash. Not cheap by any means, but we did a few a year for several years and preferred that than compromising on something we didnā€™t like look of.

1 Like

Just remember most windows in France open inwards unlike the UK. Its fine if you explain to the maker.

Thanks

Will do

https://www.leroymerlin.fr/produits/electricite-domotique/tableau-electrique-et-disjoncteur/tableau-electrique/tableau-electrique-pre-equipe-1-rangee-13-modules-1-id-6-disjoncteurs-nalto-86382533.html?src=clk

Ten years from nowā€¦ might be a whole different ball game.
Surely you need to choose what you like the look of ā€œnowā€ā€¦ and can afford. :wink:

We recently fitted UPVC triple glazed windows into our stone house and they look amazing in anthracite grey outside with white interiors.

We had a french company quote ten grand for double glazed but we bought direct from poland and got triple glazed for four thousand five hundred including delivery by a ukranian chap in one of those small polish lorries.

If you google UPVC windows, it shows that Poland makes and supplies most of the european countries so it makes sense to go directly to them.

We were concerned of how they would look in our stone house but everyone of our neighbours thinks they look lovely against the light stone.

Iā€™d put the name of the company here but iā€™m not sure admin allow that?

1 Like

I had oak windows downstairs in my breton longĆØre and to be honest they were a pain having to be regularly maintained against the sea salt in the air and the algues from the trees so changed them for alu/UPVC in the dark blue and they looked lovely and in the penty which we also renovated and doors to match as well. We then repainted the upstairs main house oak windows that were not as old in the same paint colour and the whole house took on a lovely new look. They were made locally by the big material suppliers in Bretagne who also own Atlantic Menuiserie and had a ten year guarantee and were also bespoke measurement as the house was over 450 years old with non-uniform walls measurement wise.

1 Like

Thanks

21 years ago I had the windows in my old stone house replaced with an African hardwood called SIPO. Considerably cheaper than oak they can be painted or done with lazure. The maker of the windows said I must continue the old look, so, although they are tricky to clean, there are between 6 or 8 panes each side, and he was quite right. They are double glazed and the interior handles and bar are copies of originals with modern insides! They still look marvellous. Please dont have alu frames in an old houseā€¦it was a small family firm, and the fitter, the son of the business, cared about how it should look. Bien pour une jolie petite maison en pierre. How right he was.

1 Like

Iā€™m in a protected zone overlooked by chateau, renovated 6 years ago now, had to replace like with like - 6 paned wooden framed windows. I used a local supplier for ā€˜sur mesureā€™ retrofitted wood (eucalyptus) frames that have a stained finish on outside the old dark red color (canā€™t remember the standard color 1000 somethingā€¦) and inside a stone-ish shade that goes nicely with the stone walls. Window is double glazed and the ā€˜panesā€™ are a movable frame that swings out for easy window cleaning. Icing on cake was 50% tax rebate which made cost very reasonable for great looking windows.

Feel good factor since I used a local business too! Another benefit was having local remedy when I had a small issue, easily and quickly dealt with, usual guarantee, etcā€¦Worth looking into local small businesses!

3 Likes

Hi @Spudgun - I realise itā€™s been a while since this post was added but Iā€™d interested in the name of the company you used for your windows please (weā€™ve had eye-watering quotes from French companies and Iā€™d also been looking at Polish alternatives).

If itā€™s allowed and you canā€™t post here, would you PM me the name please?

Also, did you fit them yourselves or can you recommend a fitters too?

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

Hi Sarah
We used a company called Gdanska fabryka okien. Have a look at their website. Their salesman Ted Dziewanowski speaks perfect English and is really helpful.

There are several polish companies advertising in places like the connexion or other English read magazines but when I behan searching for them, they didnā€™t exist. They provide an address but when you put it on Google maps, thereā€™s just an empty field. Thatā€™s not to say that theyā€™re dodgy because Iā€™ve known people who used them but I guess theyā€™re probably just middlemen who are adding their cut to the price.

When you Google gdanska fabryka okien, there is a huge factory so that gave me peace of mind .

We fitted them ourselves but I did speak to a local French company who were more than willing to install them even though we werenā€™t buying through them.

I guess, theyā€™re still making a profit from the fitting so they donā€™t mind. But in the end, we decided that it was easy enough to do it ourselves.

If you speak to Ted, he will guide you through the process and options available. He was very good at suggesting differences in the openings and styles that would be better for us.

He just needed the size of the openings and a brief description of what youā€™re after or even photographs of what you already have and he then sends you a design on a pdf file

You pay 10 per cent upon order and the rest when they are ready for delivery. It took around 12 weeks for them to be made.

Iā€™ll try and attach some pictures and Tedā€™s email address. Which is

export@gfo.com.pl

Kind regards

Danny

2 Likes

Hi Sarah, it wonā€™t let me send pictures as theyā€™re too large but if you do wish to see some, you can send me a WhatsApp to 0641127554 and then I can send them via WhatsApp.

Kind regards

Danny

1 Like

I renovated a couple of houses when we lived in 23 and the windows fitted came from a Czech company called Albo. It was quite a few years ago but they were high quality and good value for the money. I think theyā€™re still going www.albo.cz
Might be worth a look

1 Like

Great - thanks Mark - I will Czech them out :see_no_evil: (sorry that was a terrible ā€˜Dadā€™ joke)

1 Like

Thatā€™s brilliant, thanks Danny - Iā€™ll WhatsApp you now :slightly_smiling_face:

You can pay by Czech as well :smiley:

2 Likes