No more Ruby Murray

groan :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

If it’s worked, can I recommend the attached book by Indian- born, Camellia Panjabi, the founder of the Bombay Brasserie. After a fascinating chapter on “The Philosophy of Indian Cuisine” she goes on to write about the origins of the word "curry’- and recipes are very good as well!

It’s not what the Mail and Indépendant say though is it ? The blogger who I call one of the PC Brigade has intimated by using the words ‘British colonialism ‘ then ‘white people’ that this is more than a gastronomic thing.
Maybe I’m reading it wrong but she won’t be the first to think like this over the years.
I can’t think of any of my Indian or Pakistani or Sri Lankan acquaintances and close friends from Mauritius who don’t use the word ‘curry’ ´ which tells me it’s not just a ‘white people’ thing.

Ooh dodgy fenman, the title would need to be changed there.
Tut tut tut.

1 Like

50 shades of Delta varieties perhaps :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah. The RAF.
They do have a left wing.
But it’s usually balanced by the right wing…

5 Likes

“Our food” … fgs. Brits should be grateful so many alternatives migrated to the UK add variety to the Portuguese / Belgian combo of fish and chips.

But what exactly is wrong with these words Peter? And why do you find them political?
Slavery and colonialism were real; people come in different colours.
These simple, straightforward facts are only a problem for the extreme racist, nationalist right - no-one else. Why play their game?

Still in print, with the same title, for the last 25 years!
Actually, should we now start thinking about replacements for other generic food terms? Hot Pot, Stew, Haggis (apparently, according to MasterChef,) and then, what exactly is a Cassoulet, if not a good excuse for an argument?

And they’ve got a rotary club!

Because these are hardly terms which would be used by someone reviewing gastronomy. I haven’t heard Jamie Oliver, Graham Kerr (remember him ?), Fanny Craddock, Paul Hollywood or even Gordon Ramsey etc use that kind of language.
She is quite clearly saying that the word ‘curry’ shouldn’t be used because of it’s past connections.
That’s my interpretation, for what it’s worth.

I do… the Galloping Gourmet

1 Like

This story has now spread to all corners of the English speaking world, the blogger has had to withdraw from some social media platforms as she was getting lots of abuse, who could have predicted that?

Yes Graham, he was very popular. He along with Fanny Haddock will probably go down as one of the pioneers of food tv.

and Major Johnnie, of course :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I guess she got the attention she craved.

1 Like

In the US, the debate about race, especially, is extremely polarised. Neither side is listening to the other and the things they say - like this woman about curry - are increasingly absurd. They stoke the fires of division (not a very good expression, sorry) for their own political ends.

Some people in the UK, because of their political beliefs, would like to see the same thing there, because they interpret everything as a conflict between oppressor (of some sort) and oppressed (of a corresponding sort); at the other extreme are the right-wingers who make a big thing about wokeness, “PC gone mad”, etc as a smokescreen to deflect attention from the way the country is being run, the increasing inequality in all areas of life, and the excessive influence one public school in particular has on political and business life.

2 Likes

I’ve spent a few trips touring around the old Lincolnshire airfields and stayed at the old 617 officers mess…

I read Enemy Coast Ahead and also a few a Martin Middlebook’s books on different raids Including Peenemünde which I visited a couple of years ago. Most unfriendly people I have ever encountered anywhere. it was a good opportunity to also see Hitler’s “Butlin’s” before it was “gentrified”.

1 Like

But again Peter - why ever not? I’m still puzzled. Some ‘snowflakes’ might want their reading or thinking about food washed of any uncomfortable history, but to my mind its always better to know the truth.

I read the Independent article and found nothing inaccurate or ‘political’ in it. It doesn’t mention politics at all!
I can’t for the life of me see why you are so worked up about it, or why you link it with ‘political correctness’ (the right-wing myth that trying to be sensitive to others in your use of language is somehow reprehensible or authoritarian).
Indeed, isn’t the authoritarianism here all on the other side: in the strange objection to asian chefs telling us more about asian food?

Then it’s obviously my interpretation of the reasoning behind the bloggers comments.