Non conform septic tank

We are buying a house and its got a non conform tank without a certificate. Having a septic tank doesn’t bother me but the estate agent said we need to replace it. What would be the cost of a new one to be installed?

Depends on what the local SPANC allows you to put in. There are already quite a few discussion threads on here already about various alternatives and their associated costs. Count anywhere between 7K EUR and 15K EUR, or more, depending on size, type and earthworks required.

See also:

2 Likes

Hi @Rickspen and welcome to SF
I agree with what @Mat_Davies writes.
If you click on the magnifying glass in the SF banner and type “fosse” you’ll get a list of links for you to have a look at.

2 Likes

We have just paid about 7200 ttc for a new fosse. We also had to pay 490 ht for a soil study. We are waiting for a bill of 100 euro from the prefecture too. We have had a 3000 litre tank installed with quite a long pipe going to an epandage. Our house has two bedrooms, one living/dining/kitchen room and a bathroom and there were two connections required.

As commented recently, some folk suggest that the fine for non compliance is often a tiny percentage of the potential cost of replacement. It would mean you could purchase the property with a view to replace at a later date when you have considered the location and whether you are considering increasing the property size in terms of bedrooms, they would increase the capacity of Fosse required

ISTR that may be based on the location. Fouling the water table is a very serous affair and could involve imprisonment :lock: and a hefty fine to boot.

Just a suggestion to investigate if the existing fosse is not fouling the water table and they need time to consider their options / take advice.

2 Likes

We were alerted to this some time ago when we were considering purchasing a property with an underground oil tank which had not been inspected as required by law and to which the notaire seemed unconcerned. I discussed this with our (then and now) Maire who put us wise to the perils of ignorance and we withdrew from the purchase as something smelled a bit funny about the whole deal (if you pardon the pun).

1 Like

Hello Rick
Are you caught a bit between a cheap buy and an expensive consequence? Your post is not clear, but I assume that the immobilier has revealed that the fosse in this property does not conform? This Report is required by law now. You are therefore proposing to buy it on that basis, and putting things right at your own expense, either now or sometime.
Therefore, the price that you propose to pay must reflect this cost. Putting it simply, the seller has to bear the cost, one way or the other.
Your first step must therefore be to satisfy yourself that the asking price reflects this cost. You are into a minimum of €10k if you agree to take over this liability (the alternative is that the seller get’s it done, so that they have a saleable house), as other posts have explained - but the **actual * cost relevant to the specific property must be established. It’s no good asking for ball-park figures on a site like this - you must get the true figure in a devis so that you know how much you are prepared to offer for the house.
It looks probable that the seller cannot afford to carry out the work. But you have the whip hand - their house is not legally saleable without a conforming fosse.

1 Like

Of course it is, the buyer just has to be made aware that it doesn’t conform and that they have a certain time scale to get the work started. Financial considerations are something different and are down to negotiation.

1 Like

as @Mark says in much the same way that you can buy a car without a CT (another quite wrong urban myth).
I bought our property without a conforming fosse… come to think of it, nothing conformed and there was certainly no fosse! :wink:
Indeed, the notaire even commented when we signed the final act in his office that there was no door key (on account that there was no door). Come to think of it, there was nowhere for the door to be attached to anyway as the wall had collapsed 20 years previously :crazy_face:

Shouldn’t the question be why does’nt the fosse conform which should be on the report, it might be loads of things that can bemade to conform without changing the tank itseelf

1 Like

IIRC that’s the purpose of the inspection report - it shouldn’t just say “not compliant” is should detail why it doesn’t comply and as far as I’m aware, SPANC will provide the detail in this regard and should certainly be consulted before committing to any proposal or making a complete tit of yourself by asking for a 10k€ reduction in the asking price on the basis it has to be replaced.

If I read the op correctly the estate agent said it didn’t comply but didn’t say why

simple resolution to that - ask to see the report. Agents can be so secretive unless pressed… anything for an easy life and a fast buck! Buying a property really is caveat emptor!

Some agents are good, some are not so good. You should never put 100% of trust in an agent who is not an expert in Fosse, buildings etc. Experts may cost a fee but in the long run can also save you a small fortune.

1 Like

Thanks PeteJ I’ve asked the estate agent for the SPANC report and when we go and look at the house if Boris pulls his finger out I’d like to get a quote from a couple of companies that would carry out any work needed.

1 Like

As others have said, sometimes its just adjustments to the existing installation to bring them into conformity or sometimes its the whole thing. Information is king and then you can make an informed decision and offer if still interested. The other thing I would advise with caution is using someone recommended by the estate agent, sometimes ok but often not recommended because of their quality or experience :wink: Always ask to see their insurance and check they are actually qualified / registered to do the work they are offering to do.

1 Like

Some agents actually do a good job.

Most notaires are excellent but some are terrible, beware.

Thanks Peter. I have got a list approved one thats on the government.uk website.