Norman Coast

I get your point Neil .I think people got a bit upset that the separation meant photography wasn't seen as an art.Its all about seeing,so a good photographer will 'see' as an artist does.That same way of seeing doesn't apply to knitting and sewing,though they can be artistic in their own way.

I'm fine about keeping it as a painting group.....hope its not going to be just the three of us.

When I set up this group the Darkroom was already in existence so to include photography would have been duplication so they have not been 'segregated'. Lots of photographs taken wouldn't be described as artistic - they are a record of an event, a person or a place.

If it the wish of the majority to include artistic photography to be included here -vote now. We could also include furniture making, knitting and sewing as these could be described as artistic!

Please do put up a photo and the painting that followed.

It never crossed my mind that photography would not be included which was why I commented on Rons photograph.All my paintings are from photographs,either taken by other people or myself.I'm not a good photographer,I can see whats good to shoot of course but I can't figure out lighting.So when I see an interesting photo it can inspire me to paint,as with the recent painting I did of James. Some of my paintings are from my mobile phone photos,not brilliant but the fuzzy quality means I don't get into too many details when I paint.I'll maybe put up here a photo and the resulting painting.

This is all interesting food for thought. Apart from anything else, SFN is a constantly evolving entity and we always need feedback to help it move forward in a positive way. Both groups have been very quiet for a while now (as have many of the other groups) so my personal view is that anything that gets people involved has got to be good. Non?

Agreed, Catharine. :) By segregating photography to another group, it becomes a statement that photography is somehow not acceptable on an art site. Perhaps there should be an oil painters group, a pastel group, a watercolor group, etc. Of course, since many artists work in more than one medium, that would mean belonging to a lot of groups. I'm really not trying to be difficult but, photographs are in art museum collections all over the world. So, why can't photography be included here?

I see you are a member of the Darkroom, too, Neil. I just joined that group. (Oh, NO!!!) There is certainly nothing wrong with there being a photography group as well as an art group. Photographers tend to enjoy talking about technical subjects that might not appeal to someone who only paints, draws, etc. However, posting a photograph for feedback from artists who work in different mediums seems like a good way to encourage more discussion...or possibly stimulate artists to work in other mediums. I know that when I see a good watercolor painting, I get inspired to get out my watercolors. A strong B&W photograph sets me to working in graphite...or to pull out my cameras. I believe that exposure to all art mediums enhances everyone's art. Guess I spent too many years as an art teacher. :)

Lets have one for painting photographers then!

(I am joking btw)

I think there has to be some cross over between disciplines (and groups) and I'm sure we can all work with that :)

I'm not saying it isn't art just that there exists a specific group for photography on SFN - the Darkroom. Anyone can start a group - -subject to the approval of the Administrator -, one that caters for painting a photography if they feel the urge.

I just looked at the Darkroom Group page. Since absolute beginners are encouraged to join, I don't believe it is an art site. It is a hobby site. My ex-husband, the professional photographer, used to bemoan the fact that photography wasn't taken seriously as art. It would seem that is still the case.

And, if you hadn't noticed, I am a tad opinionated. :)

It's an art form but not in the Art Department! There is the Darkroom Group for photography.

Photography is absolutely art. It is just another medium that you can employ as an artist. Yes, now it is easier for anyone to take a decent photograph but not everyone has an eye for composition, contrast, value, color, design, etc. Artists have those skills. Also, computer programs such as Photoshop permits photographers to manipulate their work in a multitude of ways creating new images that are truly original. That being said, in art schools and colleges, B&W film photography is most often labeled fine art photography. I think that shows that photography has been accepted as an art form.

I will but I have never had a problem purchasing a used camera before...even on Ebay. And, as I said, B&H has wonderful customer service. They even phone you after you have made a purchase to make certain you are happy with that purchase.

Photography is not art? Discuss...

You may want to look at a refurbished model verses a "used" camera.

Very nice! I may buy a used camera from B&H in New York. They have the best customer service I have ever found in a store other than a small camera shop. Unfortunately, all the small camera shops in my vicinity have closed due to competition from box stores. It is a shame.

davalonlee@gmail.com

I currently have a nIkon D80, dating to 2007. Time to move on. I think I will try a mirrorless or move to the Nikon D7100. the improvements in the 7200 are not really of interest.

Previous cameras were a Canon EOS 10s and a Nikon F100.

Photography is one of my mediums, yes. Although my good cameras are old SLRs: two Canons and one Nikon. I have an enlarger and all the other equipment a traditional darkroom requires. Also, I was married to a professional photographer for 14 years. I will be purchasing a quality DSLR soon. It is time for me to move into the 21st century. lol

You are, I take it a photographer.

ronfox18@hotmail.com

You have an excellent eye for values. Often color photos don't transfer well to B&W as the photographer doesn't make certain there is good contrast in their subject matter. In the "old" days for photography, there were special viewers to assist photographers to distinguish values before they shot their chosen subject on B&W film. I look forward to see more of your work!

Thanks, it is not yet printed but simply a digital photo that i took last weekend and converted to B&W in Aperture.