As long as you didn’t ask for a café au lait after lunch I think you’ll get away with it. ![]()
Just been to Grand Frais and they had some nice looking fillets of Kipper in the fish section. Mum used to buy bloaters when the fish van called on Tuesdays to our village and we were raised on fresh herrings that we all loved especially the soft roe ones, that was a treat.
I adore soft herring roe but you never see it anymore except tinned from Spain and it’s worse than cat food. I remember cod roe at the local chip shop years ago when we were young teenagers and then it went out of favour for saveloys
Assuming herring still have roe, wonder what mass produced food it now goes into?
You don’t even see fresh herrings any more, only those vacuum packed Scandinavian style products which are ![]()
Roll mops?
No, flat herring fillets in brine or oil but very strong tasting. OH used to love herring fillets from Super U in a fennel cream sauce you ate cold.
I haven’t had fresh cod roe for years but you can buy it smoked in tins. A good substitute is pigs brains but they have become very expensive lately.
Especially to pigs. ![]()
I drain the liquid, mash it up and add oat flour and beaten egg. Make into small pea size balls and bake for 15 minutes. Then I feed one or two each to the cats for a treat. They love them to bits. The balls freeze well and I take out 6 each day and give them to the cats as and when but not one hour either side of their morning or evening meals.
And my S-I-L who is Ukranian, gave me a recipe for Shuba (colloquially known as herring under a fur coat) which is absolutely delicious.
Ingredients
1 medium potato, cooked - 1 carrot, cooked - 2 eggs, hard-boiled - 2 beetroots, cooked - 1 onion - 1 apple - salted /marinated herring - mayonnaise
Method
1. Grate the potato and put an even layer on the bottom of a deep (glass if possible) dish, cover with mayonnaise.
2. Cut the herring into small pieces and put as another layer.
3. Cut the onion thinly and cover the herring.
4. Peel and grate the apple and cover the onion, then smooth it with mayonnaise.
5. Grate the carrot and put as the next layer, smooth with mayonnaise.
6. Grate 1 egg and the white of the other (leaving 1 yolk for decoration) and put as the next layer, smooth with mayonnaise.
7. Grate the beetroots and put as the next layer, smooth with mayonnaise.
8. Decorate with the finely grated yolk.
9. Refrigerate or keep cool until used.
Enjoy your SHUBA! - The next day it is even better!
(stock photo)
On fresh fish counter in July and August round here, but not outside the season.
How lucky you are to have a Ukranian Son in Law, 2 of mine are Spencers, and I am fed up with the constant mention of that family in the news at the moment (Lady Di and Charles and Charles?) ![]()
I quite liked Frank.
We do something similar, yours looks better much the pets appreciate them all the same
He used to live in a building I looked after for a while.
I would consider wearing a collar myself, for such treats!
Danny LaRue…used to live in a flat, near a pub that I visited quite regularly.
Nothing at all against the flats nor their residents, nor against any individuals in the pub…
But…
The contrast..
M LaRue walking his poodle, wearing a beret, whilst a few metres away the pub landlord was cashing Social Security cheques for his clientele in what I heard described as the “Star Wars bar” (y’know the scene!) was astounding.
I defer from expanding on from where I was observing such a scene.
We both have flu. Which is putting a dampener on our trip to Chichester. It’s hard walking Rona when I’ve a temperature of 101.
Sorry to hear that Sue
No dog will die if it doesn’t get walked! Just play a few games/hide treats and prioritise looking after yourselves.
