Not just famous for tripe

A tripe works in Vire, Calvados, won the World Championship in 1966. SInce then … ?

But this extraordinary story of a remakable man has added something to the things that Vire can be proud of, albeit fleetingly.

Small World NY TImes Vire etc(1).docx (68.2 KB)

1 Like

The idea of eating tripe, like lamb and several other meaty delicacies would horrify most Americans north of the Mason Dixon line. I’ve a friend in Boston who won’t even buy tinned rabbit for his dog (not that we would either, but for very different reasons).

Here in the Aveyron we have tripe in various forms, most notably les tripes and les tripoux.
Good stuff, even if I always have to eat it by myself, and I’ve now found a local traditional pig farmer, whose pigs are non-industrial - he only butchers one a week. Though the meat’s still not as flavoursome as porc noir.

Revolting stuff :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

I think of it that way, but am so rarely presented with it, and love eating it so much, that I overcome my revulsion. However, even more likely to be a thing of the past here as I drift my way towards vegetarianism. :joy:

I am with you on that, the look, smell and taste is :nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

I like the French version, a la Caen, but prefer the delicious white onion sauce that accompanies the English version too.

I had an entertaining tour taking 8 ladies from Atlanta, GA. to see English ceramics, furniture and ye olde houses. One was particularly keen on ‘Chinah Dawgs’.

But none of them could believe the sight of meat on display and carcases hanging in the front windows of butchers’ shops.

Grilled and crunchy! Mmmmmm

I have never come across that. Grilled and crunchy improves most foods. What’s the grilled and crunchy version of tripe called?

1 Like

Burnt and in the bucket would improve it even more :wink::yum:

You may well be right. I’d like to give it a try, what with living in the world centre of tripe.

1 Like

Like the look of that!

I could imagine the tripe goujons being cently coked with micro-planed garlic, then given a dab of mustard before being dipped beaten egg and bread crumbs (or panko? before putting on the plancha or griddle.

1 Like

Much better texture-wise from my pov :slightly_smiling_face:

I dunno … you’re still dealing with a raw ingredient of a supremely repellant nature. Is the end result worth the effort?

It calls to mind that Japanese fish which, if the chef has not meticulously removed the poison sac, kills you stone dead at the table.

Best just not to go there.

There are various things I’ll eat but won’t cook (just because I don’t have to, if push came to shove ie a question of survival I probably would, but in that situation eating fugu and dying might seem tempting :wink:).

1 Like

Actually Capt, I was thinking of tripe that had been boiled previously. The method I described is traditionally known in France as << à la Sainte-Menehould >> and used for other fatty or gelatinous meaty bits that are first gently braised - usually breast of lamb, ox tail or pigs’ trotters. All v. yummy!

Ah pieds de porc à la Ste Menehould, so delicious :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Like them, but think the poitrine d’agneau and queue de boeuf options are better cos there’s a much higher meat to bone ratio. I’ve now been using Elizabeth David’s recipe for the former for nearly half a century.

If anyone’s interested here’s a similar recipe

PressReader.com - Digital Newspaper & Magazine Subscriptions

However, it’s worth knowing that unlike breast of lamb in the UK, when I ordered a poitrine d’agneau from my butcher, I actually got twice as much as expected ie. the whole rib cage (and I’d ordered three!)- but cheep as frites, so who cares?