Not Surviving France

Alternatively, can you find someone locally to be a key holder and then let the house as a short term tenancy? There are lots of people (mainly Brits in my experience) who like to rent property in France, often whilst looking for somewhere to buy. If you have the space, you could lock any valuables or items of sentimental value in one room and leave the rest of the property furnished.

We currently live in Sri Lanka and have been doing this with our property for the last couple of years. Because of distance we are in much the same boat from the point of view of not being able to access our house on a regular basis.

I can supply you with all the legal stuff on short term tenancies if that looks like a feasible route.

The AngloInfo websites (there will be one for your area) have noticeboards where you could advertise your house and there is also a section where people looking for accomodation advertise. This is all free.

Vis the dogs, quarantine in the UK was abolished as of January this year (so that's one less thing to worry about!) To take your dogs with you to the UK you will need to have them chipped and vaccinated against rabies (which you probably do already) and then have a blood sample sent to the UK for testing (at least, that is the requirement for bringing animals in from Asia. It may not be necessary within the EU). Your vet can sort all that out for you. The only hiccup is that there needs to be a minimum of three months from the date of the blood test (assuming it is positive, ie a Good Thing) before they can enter the UK. Is there someone nearby who could look after the dogs for that time?

My advice would be not to pack up and shift immediately. Take what you need with you and know that your house and belongings will be fine for three months while you work out your next step. Thinking of you! x

Sarah, after looking into your website, I can only say I wish I would have known you a year ago. Your services are invaluable and I would have loved to utilize you for many, many things. Hopefully, there will be a next time,,,

I come from California where there are many illegal immigrants who are given many privleges. I am sure there are other immigrants in America who try to do things the right way and are treated poorly. I can say whole-heartedly, having walked in their shoes, I would go out of my way to help whomever needed it. And I believe I would have before had I known of specific incidents. I understand the concern with borders and countries not wanting a flood of people who would tax social systems. I also know that there are people who can contribute to a country and bring value. Perhaps it's not fair to differentiate. I know that I will certainly look at immigration with a completely different perspective going forward. There should be an exchange program - with so many people who want to go into the U.S., I would gladly trade places!

My wife had similar problems with a prefecture and the Service (sic) des Etrangers at Paris in seeking a Carte de Sejour which the French Consul at Manila told us was no problem. My Mairie said they couldn't help (I had a property here 36 years at the time of application), the Prefecture at Quimper said it was for the Mairie, a "dragon" from Paris told me that my wife had no rights and should go straight back to Asia and that it was clear that our marriage was "arranged". It was good for her that she did not say it to my face. I hired an avocat and got my Depute on the case. It cost 1000 euros but it was sorted. Unfortunately functionaries think that they rule the world. They are paid too much and their pensions are ridiculous. It's a sort of self fulfilling circle which keeps them going. You can get over them however!

The dogs are up to date on everything. They are the most pampered pooches ever which is why I couldn't possibly put them in a kennel for three months. They will go with me, whatever the cost! (Which is a lot for a 32 kilo and 40 kilo dog)

You are completely correct, Veronique. They are horrendously strict in the USA!

Hi Liz, I am sure the core issue is my husband being declined. If I told you the story behind it, you would not believe it. In short, we had to hire an Avocat to get any response from the consulate. They waited a year from his application and then only told us"No" when we filed against them. They would not tell us why. So we filed an appeal to understand why his application was declined. After waiting another three months, we finally found the reason for the decline which was our consultant, who said she was speaking to them and giving them answers, actually had not responded to many important questions. But the consulate would never tell us that during the application, even after numerous emails and two in-person appointments asking for status and referencing the responses from our consultant. I know we could try again for my husband, but I travel extensively throughout Europe for work and I can't manage for three months on my own. I think it's best that I give up on France right now as it's too much of a fight. If it's not this, it will be something else.

use the right hand 'Alt' key and press the € under the E key at the same time.

Hi Catherine, I did have a long-stay Visa for the first year. It was not renewed, probably due to the fact that they declined my husband's Visa. I don't intend to go to the UK without the proper paperwork. Even if I could, the stress would be too much. My husband is a musician, so his life is freelance.

All I want to do is protect my husband, my dogs, and my property.

Thank you!

Hi Donna, Catherine talks a lot of sense when she talks about moving status in the uk. Your employer should be applying for a work permit for you. That is the priority. I used to work at the Home Office, so don’t complicate your UK position.

Then you can move to the uk to work. Might I ask what your husband is planning to do? If you have been long overstayers it may be wise to face the possibility of a quick exit, and plan for this contingency.

If you can afford it there are kennels who will manage the dogs till you are reunited.

You can deal with self storage companies in the uk on line, and removal companies can deliver your goods to them with no problems till you are here.

Ask a local estate agent for house guardianship services or look in the English papers, there are many people who will look after your house, check up on it every week or so. You may not want people living there at this time.

And do get a competent immigration lawyer, they know the system.

Good luck!

HOUSE SITTING!

Hi Donna

I have two Tarn based clients who would be potentially interested in house sitting. I mentioned your post to them and they would be interested to hear from you as they have just finished a contract and are currently job hunting etc.

They have lived in France for a few years and work as caretakers, so they used to living in and looking after other peoples' properties, including ones that are being refurbished. An temporary house sitting agreement could suit both parties, non?

I am going to send you a private message with their details and please feel free to contact them if this is something that could help you out if you do have to leave for 3 months

Sorry for your plight - and know that you have lots of support on SFN!

Firstly, am sorry for your situation. I think you were poorly advised by your employer, for US citizens, with some exceptions, a long-stay visa or work permit has to be applied for and approved before you arrive in France. Unfortunately, home ownership doesn’t matter.

I would strongly advise you push for an extension to the exit notice, my understanding is that this is not too difficult. Get the avocat to put an appeal in process if not already
done or get another avocat!

Don’t compound the problem by going in to the UK as a tourist and then trying to get a UK work permit. As your employer is willing to sponsor you, he/she has to manage that
process. Once you are in the UK, with a proper work permit, there may be options to get back over here. I lived in the UK for 5 years in the late 90s on a work permit but could
not enter the UK on a tourist visa THEN switch. Once you have a permit, you will
certainly be able to move back and forth between the UK and France. Not sure, but think
your husband can freelance in the UK once you have your permit, also something to investigate now.

I

Good luck.

I think there is much wisdom in what David is saying. One of the lesser important reasons for not living in the UK I have never mentioned before is UKBA. My wife is Swiss and does not need a visa or permission to stay there. However she got a dirty letter from them wanting to know why she had not made them 'aware' of her permanent presence in the UK. It included a threat of suspending her from her job. She had been in the country about five years (with a break admittedly), married and had two children then been in her lectureship for two years by then in the UK. So she was a tax, social security and so on contributor, thus in the system legitimately. The university's lawyer made a few calls and sorted it. That was cheaper than getting in somebody to cover her teaching and easier.

So please do not place any faith whatsoever in UKBA with the present government policy toward immigrants there. Stick with it and sort it out here if you can.

Hi Donna,

I too am an American citizen who has lived in this beautiful country for 9 years. I was fortunate enough to be married to a British citizen who passed away 4 years ago end of this month. So I truly understand what it is to be put under emotional pressure. I suggest that you break it down practicially. First and foremost is to keep employment - so look after yourselves. We brought a golden retriever from the US and traveled frequently to the UK - trust me you are more flexible and a more responsible pet owner to leave your pets behind. Find a neighbor who may look after them for a little while. I do not believe that the French government could/would ask you to remove all of your belongings in 30 days. There are many American citizens who own property here and come for up to 6 months (allowable time). Make sure you have the RIGHT advocate who can/will be an advocate for your case and you are able to communicate with effectively.

Having been through the process of a succession with my two step-daughters, whom I was very close to and the miscommunication that went back and forth for 4 years - I understand. Once I was able to remove the emotion (I am a Christian and continually prayed) - it sorted itself out. To move your dogs (family) belongings to the UK which may be a temporary move is placing yourself under too much emotional/financial stress. It sounds as though your employer is willing to help as much as he/can with their help, maybe you can locate a B&B in the UK or take an out of season short-term rental to allow yourself to focus on yourself/your work and allow the system to work itself out. Even if it is unfavorable, you will have allowed yourself to make the right decision for you and your family under less stress. I shall put you in my prayers and bon courage.

Oh seriously that's just bl**dy stupid. Right, so action plans. It looks like you've got some really good links being supplied here - check those out and see if there's anything promising. Re the dogs, phone/visit the vet today and find out time lines. The sooner you get onto that the better so at least you don't have to worry about your babies. If the avocats don't sort out an extension/reversal/whatever in good time and you can't find transport for your things to the UK, leave anything you're worried about that's portable at mine. I have 2 spare bedrooms so you're welcome to use one to store your sentimental etc stuff until you can come back and sort things out. No problem. I would even offer to look after the pooches but with my 2 dogs and 3 cats that could be a problem.

I have a family member who works in the US State Department and I discussed with her the mechanisms of visa applications between the US and UK. We have experience this year of both and found the US to be user friendly and efficient. Au contraire you will find the UKBA very difficult and you will need to supply them with a huge amount of supporting documentation and attend a so called interview in Paris. For a short ten day visit to attend my son's wedding in the UK for which my non EU non US wife needed a visa we had to supply virtually my life story. Original bank statements, rates bills, marriage certificate, letter of invitation and wedding invitation, photos, itinereary on a day by day basis with all addresses and telephone numbers and believe me the list goes on. At her first interview some papers were offered but not taken and then lack of those papaers was given as a reason for refusal. She therefore had to re-apply and we only just made it. including travel to Paris twice (we are six hours from Paris) and one stay at a hotel, the costs to get the visa amounted to very nearly 1000 euros. Don't expect it to be quick either. What is particularly unfriendly is that the initial part of the process is SUBCONTRACTED to an American company called Worldbride Services and you don't actually get to meet the decision maker. The system is imprenable and you get charged a fortune for even telephoning them. In my opinion your chance of getting a visa for the UK in under 4 weeks for the UK would be slight and you would have to be doing virtually nothing else. It's known for instance that large numbers of non EU potential Olympic visitors gave up the idea because visas were so difficult. That's why there were loads of empty seats at many venues. The West End hotels and restaurants were apparently empty as well. I certainly think that the best idea would be with your avocat, to try to obtain at least a delay. Best of luck.

No, only as a tourist. As a tourist to the Schengen zone (which I officially became on 30-June), you can stay in all Schengen countries for a maximum of three months and then must leave for three months before you can return.

Donna, You can put your stuff in a self-store place fairly cheaply. Shut up the house until you can come back. Hope it all works out - but don't rely on the UK for a solution. UKBA can be worse than the French. Bon courage.

Thank goodness for small favours!