Notre Dame cathedral

I think they’re concentrating on saving the towers now. It’s damage control.

2 Likes

Doesn’t ring any bells with me …

Too soon? :wink::kissing::grin:

2 Likes

Yes to me it is

Yes way too soon

Saw part of the documentary (French) of a few days ago when a reporter, and his team, were allowed access to the parts under the tower that were undergoing renovation and have never been filmed before.
It was likened to a ‘forest of oak’ as literally a whole forest of wood had been used to make the structure so the wood was over a 1000 years old. There were fire extinguishers everywhere and emphasise was placed on how ‘safe’ it was.
In hindsight a bit like saying The Titanic was unsinkable.
I am sure that it will be rebuilt but it’s survived so much only to have this happen when ‘workmen’ had left…too late now but why weren’t there sprinklers or alarms in place ?

Cost probably.
I have never felt so at one with my French friends before.
This has hit us all hard.

Brian Bilston spot on as always.

20190416_084039

Macron has promised to re-build it but, interestingly, does not seem to be promising government money but an " international fundraising campaign".

A manifestation of the French separation of state and church?

More a reflection of the humungeous cost…it is a batiment de france so can get public funds, or their lottery funds. The repair works that were underway cost 150million, so this restoration will be astronomical!

Maybe the catholic church should open their vast coffers and pay for it. Put some of their money to a good use for a change.

4 Likes

Some are quoting the cost could be €2-5billion due to the vast craftsmanship required. However the really uplifting news from this tragedy is if you have seen the more recent photos much of the interior whilst damaged may have been saved. The timber roof appears to have been lost but largely has burned out on top of the stone vaulted ceiling, and whilst bits of it have collapsed inside I think over the nave probably where the spire fell. It’s possible the great alter has been saved. It also looks like the great rose window appears to be undamaged and possibly saved also. So a huge amount of credit goes to the brave fire fighters who appear to have saved so much by risking their own lives. :+1:t2::+1:t2::+1:t2::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

The church estate is the responsibility of the French State.

They need a fair amount to pay for all the court cases for molestation!

2 Likes

A lot of the building had been restored before so were modern interpretation of what they thought it should look like. The spire for instance, made of steel. Great that the craftsmen and women will have work for a long time to come

a 360 degree view of the cathedral only published earlier this week https://www.facebook.com/360visio/photos/a.354367064705506/1408220912653444/?type=3&theater

I’ve been sat thinking of the restoration cost and feel sad that so much more value is put on a building than human life.
Where were these offers of a €100 million for homes, education etc? The complete cost could be billions.
I used to live near two beautiful abbeys, Kirkstall and Bolton Abbey. Both ruins but lovely places to visit.
Notre Dame is iconic and I understand the will to restore it but perhaps it should be thought about carefully before any decisions are made.
After all it won’t be quite the same ever again.

1 Like

Did you see The Daily Mash? I think you would like it.

The UK is going to face the same dilemma soon when the final estimates come in for renovating the Houses of Parliament, it’s going to be in the billions and I wouldn’t want to the one who makes the decision.

2 Likes

Or who starts the Resoration Fund?

The taxpayer will pay for the H of P, but the question is should it be done or would the money be better spent elsewhere with parliament housed in existing buildings?