Notre Dame cathedral

I seem to remember the Scottish parliament building cost way more than predicted.

That was my joke Timothy.

I wish youā€™d use an emoji if youā€™re trying to amuse.:wink:

I wish you wouldnā€™t.
I donā€™t like them.
I use English, not Japanese.

1 Like

Youā€™re either with it or your not Jane.:grinning:

With what?

:zipper_mouth_face: Iā€™m saying nothing.

I could do with one of them at times apparently, with a Tim proof lock attached.:grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™ve just seen Macron wants ND re-built within 5 years, no pressure then.

Apparently one eye witness says heā€™s not sure who started the fireā€¦

But he has a hunch

5 Likes

Well if they do rebuild ND in 5 years nobody else in Paris is going to be getting any work done!

Perhaps they will finish the cathedral in a Barcelona in time to help repair Notre Dame

1 Like

Well YouTubeā€™s algorithms for combatting ā€œfake newsā€ has failed miserablyā€¦linking the fire to 9/11ā€¦

1 Like

As corrected. He would like it re built in 5years. Is that started or finished? :joy:

1 Like

The H of P are only 19thC, ND is a world treasure in a way the H of P arenā€™t, to my mind.

Iā€™m saddened by the destruction of beautiful and ancient architecture no matter where it isā€¦less reported has been a fire on the same day at Al Aqsa mosqueā€¦

Iā€™m just as saddened by the ongoing destruction of ancient architecture in Yemenā€¦Lybiaā€¦Syriaā€¦Gazaā€¦previously Dresdenā€¦

I donā€™t feel that these beautiful ancient structures were ever meant to be taken over by one religion or anotherā€¦they appear to display symbology from a time when there was no distinction betweenā€¦for arguments sakeā€¦Catholicism/Christianity/Islamā€¦

These structures are all over the worldā€¦the crap we build now isnā€™t even comparableā€¦

Even the trees used to build notre dame donā€™t exist nowā€¦

4 Likes

I agree. Personally other than Big Ben the Palace of Westminster doesnā€™t hold any architectural significance for me.
I think places like Windsor castle, St Paulā€™s, Mont St Michel, Sacre Coeur, Versailles and almost everything in Florence and Rome are enthralling monuments.

Entirely different scenario, ND burnt by accident, most French people are Catholic if anything. It makes sense to us to rebuild it.

Both Kirkstall and Bolton were pillaged in the dissolution of the monasteries by the crown in the shape of Henry VIII and there would have been no chance of any restoration under Bloody Mary because she reigned for 5 years.
As Catholics were persona non grata and there was lots of recusant-hunting going on for years I donā€™t suppose the Cistercians or the Augustine friars would have tried very hard to reinstate anything at all.

ps forgot to add when Shaks talks about bare ruined choirs where once the sweet birds sang thatā€™s exactly what he is describing.

And that is what the French and many other people wish so ND will be restored. It will be interesting to visit and see how it has been done. York Minster had a competition for children to design bosses for the South transept and they fit in really well.
Iā€™m sure the restoration team from York Minster will have much useful advice to give.

Looking at the photographs and drone footage with my Architectā€™s hat on, it is very clear that major destruction has been prevented by the stone vaulted ceiling that is below the timber-framed roof structure.

The majority of the burning timbers fell onto this stone ceiling and did not fall all the way to the floor of the cathedral. Unfortunately, where the spire fell, this punctured the stone ceiling in two places - not surprising really as, whilst it was timber framed, it had a carved stone pinnacle which would have been rather heavy and smashed through. Luckily (can we say that?) it fell directly in the centre between the chancel and the nave and so fell in the largest space away from the carved pews, pulpits, alter and organ.

It would appear that the very large rose windows have escaped major damage - again, probably, because they were below the vaulted ceiling and so protected.

The majority of the damage actually within the body of the cathedral will have been water damage from the, probably, millions of gallons poured in by the pompiers.

All in all, whilst the fire was very dramatic and could have been devastating, the original design and the skill of the emergency services conspired to save the building from a worse fate.

God knows how they are going to remove the damaged scaffolding though!!! I wouldnt want to climb upon it and it will have to be taken down piece by piece. Good luck to whoever has that contract!