Notre Dame cathedral

Are you sure about that, palace of Westminster?

Some parts do date back almost to the time that ND was constructed, but much of it was lost in a large fire in 1834 - Westminster Hall was originally built in 1097 and its famous hammer-beam roof was erected in 1393. It is the largest medieval timber roof in northern Europe

3 Likes

The H of P we see today were designed by Barry and Pugin. Construction began in 1837, the cornerstone was laid in 1840, and work was finished in 1860. The Commons Chamber was burnt out in an air raid but it was restored and reopened in 1950. So yes something had been there for a v long time but not the buildings on all the postcards, Big Ben etc not that we can see BB on the pcs as it is just the bell.

You are right in what you say Vero - but the HofP are just one part of the Palace of Westminster.

You can be certain that the lip service that officials have been paying to fire safety at the Palace up to now will be taken much more seriously.

1 Like

He wants it rebuilt before the Olympic Games.
I hope there are sufficient skilled craftsmen and women to actually finish this in the time frame.

The rose windows, organ and weathercock from the top of the spire…survived…among many other ancient relics and treasures…they will surely put it back together again…

The cock at the top of the spire melted apparently and the relics it contained were burnt. (tempted to say supposed relics, veil of ste Geneviève, scarf of st Denis, etc ).

1 Like

Have you ever been round the HoP? Not just the Great Hall which is 11th century, but all the rest? There are some remarkable and magnificant bits of it. Plus it has played a part in UK history for 9 centuries and remains a functioning (although barely) workimg builing.

Since I am not catholic I personally don’t feel the significance of ND, although I can admire the beauty of things like the Rose Window. The actual overall interior I found, dark, squat and dull. However I appreciate that it is significant and has huge meaning for many so this fire is a big issue. But I find it rather rude to dismiss the HoP which are hugely significant in their own way.

Yes, several times but not since I was a child when I lived in central London.
I am not dissing the H of P btw, and I am an atheist so from a religious pov ND isn’t really on my personal radar. If I had to preserve a Christian building it would be King’s chapel in Cambridge for sentimental and aesthetic but not religious reasons.

King’s chapel is great - went to one of the best concerts in my life there. In France I’d pick Chartres over ND.

2 Likes

Excellent drone shots… interactive… amazing…

The Pinault family have said that, although they are entitled to do so, they will NOT be claiming Tax Relief etc on the large sum they are donating to the Notre-Dame rebuilding fund… (well said :relaxed:)

2 Likes

Luckily I happen to have a scarf of st Denis spare, do you think they would like it?

1 Like

Vero!! Non! Pas vrai!!!
http://m.leparisien.fr/amp/faits-divers/incendie-de-notre-dame-le-coq-de-la-fleche-de-notre-dame-a-ete-retrouve-dans-les-decombres-16-04-2019-8054835.php?__twitter_impression=true

Reste désormais à savoir si les trois reliques enfermées dans le coq sont encore présentes, et si oui, dans quel état. S’y trouvent en effet une des 70 épines de Sainte Couronne du Christ, une relique de Saint Denis et une de Sainte Geneviève. Selon les historiens, ce coq et ses trésors servaient de « paratonnerre spirituel » afin de protéger les fidèles de la cathédrale mais aussi les Parisiens.

Oh good the old beast survived - so the relics are a thorn from the COT and then the mysterious belongings of st D and ste G. Well that’s a nice surprise!

I love the idea of a spiritual lightning rod.

1 Like

Oops, my mistake, my scarf is st Michael. :joy:

2 Likes

Good job you let me know, @Corona, I had my pilgrimage bag packed and was ready to set out, barefoot and with shaven tonsure, to worship your relics at your shrine, perhaps with a view to seeking your indulgence over a gift-shop and tea-room concession nearby. If the spirit moves again…?

1 Like

I posted on a Facebook group this morning “Who gave them permission to have a bonfire in central Paris?”
That was all.
The reaction was swift. Most thought my post was in poor taste & frankly they are entitled to say so but what got me was the amount of personal abuse & name-calling I got.
Considering that only one fireman was “slightly injured” I felt that a comment aimed more at the bonfire laws than poor old ND would be considered rogueish humour. Seems that the pious few consider a structure, however old it is, is more sensitive than a mere living human.
Not that I am hurt by the name calling, I am surprised at the double standards of the posters.
You don’t even have to mention politics or religion any more - there are plenty of people who will take offence at almost anything!
Will it stop me? Nil illegitimi carborundum

7 Likes