Oh, oh…… not good

France reports record high of 179,807 new cases

France reported 179,807 new confirmed cases in a 24-hour period today, by far the highest number since the start of the pandemic.

The previous highest daily number, 104,611 cases, was recorded on Saturday.

It may be time to upgrade to FFP2 as regular wear.

New Year, new lockdown.

Absolutely.

This is not good - makes me wonder how many pass sanitaires were faked for it to be spreading like this.

I note that the UK seems to have slightly fewer at 109,000 yesterday. Pretty much 100% mask wearing in Tesco this morning.

1 Like

The aooner there are more percentage atats of numbers of infected in hospital and that likely trend , the clearer things will be as to measures that may need to be taken and for how long.

Absolutely crucial for anyone vulnerable to avoid any contact right now though.

Does anyone have any information that a lower % of those infected with this one are ending up in hospital or is it too soon? Thst would be some consolation even if spread rate is currently outweighing such a benefit

If you look at the previous 2 days, the cases were c. 10000 per day so it looks as if there were approx. 60000 per day for the 3 days. I think it’s a blip of the reporting system.

Still an appalling rise from the 5k/day of a few weeks ago - and it’s nowhere near over.

3 Likes

Ouest-France:

Le nombre de nouveaux cas a franchi un nouveau record ce mardi 28 décembre 2021, avec 179 807 nouvelles contaminations recensées en 24 heures. C’est un niveau qui n’avait jamais été vu en France depuis le début de l’épidémie.

The news at 2000 on Fr2 said the figure was a catch-up of figures from the Xmas weekend. Tomorrow’s figure will tell us more.

I’ve just ordered 60 for chez nous. As we’ll only need them two or three times a week, it’ll hopefully be enough for this latest surge

Ooh plague mainland, glad there is a strip of water between the UK.

2 Likes

I suspect the phrase should be just ‘plague land’ - no one is free of it.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Plague island is hardly doing brilliantly :wink:, the middle of January numbers are going to be spectacular I think.

In the nicest possible way - I hope you are wrong! :smiley:

So do I, but with the governments and folks attitude to covid I doubt it.

We’ve been wearing FFP2 masks here recently in the UK after initially buying them for a trip to Gdansk in October. Even a stewardess wasn’t wearing her mask properly - well it was Ryanair I suppose. I spent some time trying to find some on Amazon and EBay but a lot of feedback suggested they were fakes so we buy from Boots.

Screwfix have been my source.

Yep - these are the 7-day average figures over this month for France and the UK - going up, yes, but no need to worry over a single anomalous day’s figures.

Nightclubs now closed for an extra three weeks, that’ll sort it. :grinning:

Apparently the lateral flow tests are in short supply in the UK and you can’t have a PCR test without a +ve LF test. So the numbers will look better, but may not be in reality.

That’s an interesting take - guess we’ll see soon. FWIW unless things have just changed, if you have been in contact with an infected person then you get a PCR test at a testing centre through track and trace.

1 Like

It gets better:

and as a little extra treat :