On line tax returns

Having filled in my tax returns last year for the first time on line.’
I am now perplexed as to what to do this year.
Do I have to contact les Impot to complete this years forms…OR
Do they contact me. Any info would be greatly appreciated

What happens with us is that around May we get an email telling us that forms now available online. And then go into our espace particulier to fill them in.

You don’t need to wait, just go in to the impots site and fill it in like last year.
You might wish to try out the estimation site first
https://www3.impots.gouv.fr/simulateur/calcul_impot/2021/index.htm

Ours is never there until sometime in May?

might that be dependant on the declaration time scale across France?
This for paper returns (for reference)
Deadline to send or deposit your paper tax form is the 13 th of May 2021. The online declaration

deadline is the 18 th of May 2021 for Departments 1 to 19, 25 th of May 2021 for
Departments 20 to 49 and 1 st of June 2021 for Departments 50 and above ).

Only varies by a few weeks…is yours there already?

Not looked yet Jane… job for the weekend (have all my figures ready) but no comments yet on the exchange rate to use…

How does one find out when to put in your first tax return - do you have to request it and if so where ?
I became a tax resident in December 2020, so I need to provide a return of one month. Oh, and I am retired.
Any advice would be welcome.

1 Like

There is a link to the Form 2042, a pdf which you can download.

1 Like

Graham, You appear very knowledgeable on this French subject. Could I pick your brains for my particular problem.
I go onto the French Tax page on line but I can only find last years pages with the last amounts filled in.
Where do I find the current 2047K & 2042K to allow me to complete for this year. Many TIA

Hi Jack and welcome to SF
I just checked mine (Dept 16) and it seems the book isn’t open yet for 2020 income declarations but I guess it will be before long. What you probably see are the submissions you made last year in pdf format which you can still print off, if required.
Just as an aside, I asume that you have concatenated your first name and last name in your registration. Perhaps you could edit your registration to separate them out to meet SF T&Cs.

April 8th I read on a government site somewhere, although I’m blowed if I can be bothered to search through the mess of government sites to find the source on a day like today when there’s important chocolate eating to be done… :joy:

Of course this may have changed since then.

1 Like

Probably about right Kirstea with maybe an extension as last year re covid…
Plenty of time if you have all the figures ready to hand.

Thanks Graham - much appreciated

1 Like

TAX RETURNS …dates for your diary.

The online website is scheduled to open 8 April 2021 and the closing dates will be:

• Départements 1 à 19 et non-résidents : le 26 mai 2021

• Départements 20 à 54 : le 1er juin 2021

• Départements 55 à 976 : le 8 juin 2021

No extension will be given this year because of Covid

Online declaration is obligatory for all, except for those who do not have internet and therefor paper is permitted : le 20 Mai 2021

2 Likes

no comments yet on the exchange rate to use…

From The Connexion’s new French Income Tax Guide, p.22

However, the DGFiP (tax officials in the Finance Ministry) told The Connexion that the following method is acceptable:
Take the Banque de France month-end rates for December 2019 and December
2020 and average them.
The rates are available at the followingpage: tinyurl.com/BDF-ex-rates
This method originally came from a ministerial response to an MP for Alsace who asked about income declarations for people who work over the border.

Using this method to find a rate for sterling, we find that the Banque de France month end rates for December 2019 and 2020 were, respectively €1 to £0.8508 and £0.89903. Averaged out this gives:
(€0.8508 + €0.89903) ÷ 2 = €0.874915
To find a sterling to euro rate, we then calculate as follows: 1 ÷ 0.874915

The result, rounded to four decimal places is:
£1 = €1.1430

Other rates calculated the same way are:-

$1 Canada = €0.6616
$1 New Zealand = €0.5946
$1 Australia = €0.6271

1 ZAR S. Africa = €0592
1Fr Switzerland = €0.9235
1$ USA = €0.8509
1 Danish Krone = €0.1341
1 Norwegian Krone = €0.0984
1 Swedish Krona = €0.0977

Yes, those figures seem to stack up with the ECB rate as well which is also acceptable although, just to complicate matters, individual local offices seem to require their own figures, as was the case in the Charente last year which accepted a rate of 1.1400. Add to that, the fact that you can equally use a combination of the actual amounts received in Euro and the notified rate for the remainder in Sterling against the published rates for the dates on which the payments were received.
Can become quite complex and always best to keep copious notes (perhaps in a spreadsheet) of what method(s) you have used to arrive at your results in the event you are challenged by the fisc at a later date.
Of course, this arguably leaves it open to the tax payer to choose which single or combination of methods to use to arrive at an acceptable figure…
All of which may be academic if the results by whatever method or combination of methods are below the tax threshold anyway which is where the tax simulator mentioned above becomes useful.

Hi please excuse me if my format is not correct but I am new to the site.I have lived in france for 10 years but was not really aware I needed to fill in a tax return until recently.Now that I am 10 years behind what do I need to do ? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Trevor

Hi Trevor,
I suggest that you should make a personal visit to your local tax office (Hotel des Impots) and confess your sins. Arm yourself with comprehensive details of your worldwide income for 2020 (converted into Euros), explain why you haven’t filed a tax return before, and with a bit of luck, and provided that you don’t owe a massive sum, the tax inspector may well decide to dispense with the previous years and just allow you to make a fresh start with a 2020 tax return.
The important thing is to be totally open and honest about why you haven’t filed a tax return before now.
Whatever you do, do not ignore the situation. If you go to them, then they will be much more understanding than if they have to come to you.
Despite the picture often painted of tax officials being total ogres, they are in fact people just like you and I, and provided you are seen to be doing the right thing, and are being totally open and honest with them, then I think you will find that they can be very reasonable and helpful when assisting you to put your tax affairs in order.
Robert.

Hi Trevor and welcome to SF
A small administrative matter… I think you will find it is usual practice to place your first name and then surname in your registration in that order to avoid people seemingly being discourteous and addressing you by just your surname. Your nic taffy6 is fine.
@cat
I can’t add much to the comments by @Robert_Hodge other than to confirm your first tax declaration will need to be a paper one which is why the visit to your local tax office is essential after which you will be able to do it on-line when you have ben given a tax reference number which will also be required to complete a Form France Individual under the double taxation agreement, meaning your tax status with the UK will change. If you have been paying tax to HMRC in error, the form allows you to claim repayment at part D on the final page.
If you are retired, you may find that the tax due in France is less than what you might pay in the UK. Some pensions can only be taxed in the UK (Govt pensions) but they must be declared specifically in France in a special place on the tax form so the appropriate credit can be given under the DTA.