Opinion: John Bercow is itching to stop Brexit – and he might just succeed

Here we’ve are @Mat_Davies and @james :slight_smile:

At last some positive ideas - no more moaning you remainers please !!

1 Like

Trump and all his works
Brexit and all allied subjects

These are the topics which arouse the most extreme emotions and the most provocative posts. We could make an effort not to discuss anything related to either but then, this site would be very dull, wouldn’t it ?

People are agitated by both because the “anti” lobby are incensed by the self-seeking, hypocritical stupidity of both principal characters while the “pro” lobby think the sun shines out of their respective posteriors and both camps are determined that their point of view should prevail. To suggest that we all sit down and have a reasonable, polite discussion about Trump or Brexit is facile in the extreme. Trumps presidency has divided the USA in much the same way that Brexit has divided the UK. However, while Trump’s presidency, hopefully, will founder on the rocks of voter common sense in 2020 the Brexit tragedy will play on for a decade or more. TM wanted to “bring the country together” - fat chance. The English Civil War lasted nine years but the echoes can still be heard even today. Whichever way the UK goes in the immediate future, the recriminations will ripple on for a very long time. Friends don’t talk to each other, couples have broken up, relations no longer send Christmas cards to each other, and the extremists flourish and believe they have carte blanche (viz. the murder of Jo Cox).

Cameron promised the anti-EU lobby a referendum if he won the election, he thought it would be another hung parliament with the Lib-Dems and they wouldn’t allow a referendum. Surprise, surprise, he won outright so had to deliver. Only, he could have found the balls to say that no result would be binding - only advisory. That would not have shut up the dinosaurs on his back-benches but at least he could say he’d kept his promise. Personally, I blame his abject cowardice for our present predicament. However this turns out, Britain will never be the same, and could be considerably smaller if it goes REALLY badly.

5 Likes

I have no problem debating the merits of being a member of the EU with Leavers on the proviso that they can prove that not being a member will greatly improve the livelihoods of people in the UK.

2 Likes

@cat - fair enough consider me put in my place, I now know which box I would tick if we were lucky enough to get another referendum.

There is this little issue as to why some very rich people are very very keen that Brexit happens ASAP.

They are spooked that offshore assets may be taxed… All of a sudden the real reason some very rich people are so keen makes a little more sense.

2 Likes

What I find particularly disturbing is Jacob Rees-knob on LBC yesterday (Nick Ferrari’s show) abusing a Consultant Neurologist who contributed to Operation Yellowhammer.
Absolutely disgusting behaviour no doubt completely supported wholeheartedly by @anon58066726 and @rolyat who can’t give answers to simple questions about the benefits of Brexit - just like JRM and his ilk.

1 Like

A bizarre comment by JRM yesterday was that it was not possible to have another referendum as it would overturn the 2016 referendum - ie admitting that Brexit no longer has the support of the “Will of the People” - why therefore are we continuing with this nonsense?

And the negotiations are going so well in Brussels… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Having looked through his posts and subsequent discussion I must admit I can’t find an occasion where Roger has been told to “shut up or piss off” - I’ve responded robustly to a couple of comments (eg supporting Leave but not living with the consequences and things like branding judges “enemies of the people” because they rule parliament should be allowed the sovereignty that Brexiteers say they want to restore) and there was a spat with Carl (now deleted) where the “tea party” comment might have been.

The closest was this post by Dan Wood suggesting that Roger provide some evidence to support a claim of wrongful imprisonment for rape experience by someone Roger knew.

However there’s a good bit of distance between “Put up or shut up” and “shut up and piss off”.

2 Likes

It was my post - I admit I said something along those lines and my excuse was that I saw red.

Roger apologised and I did likewise. We both deleted our posts.

At the time, it seemed that Roger had seen the reasoning for my rant and, I assumed, accepted the cause because he deleted his post. It is clear now that he has not accepted my apology because it has now been brought up again.

Oh well, most folk on here know my feelings on matters and the manner in which I post - which, I assume, is generally accepted as polite and not argumentative.

If the ‘Management’ want to take a look in the Lounge, they will see that I started a topic a little while back that is/was relevant, and they can take a view.

C

6 Likes

@Mat_Davies I honestly wasn’t trying to put you in a box, I just thought you would also find it funny! Although it is actually too close to the knuckle to be truly funny…
Xx

Totally agree. And the worst thing is that JRM has cultivated the ‘smarmy Victorian mill owning toff’ accent that will convince the truly stupid even more. All of whom probably think he’s a ‘true gent’ and carry on tugging their forelocks en route to the food banks. Which incidentally, are another thing he approves of. But probably only for the ‘deserving’ poor.
Tosser.

6 Likes

@cat don’t worry I fully understood - it shows how far you have to look to find anything remotely positive.

2 Likes

So, the bill essentially says get a deal by the 19th or delay to the end of Jan.

Much as I do not want to leave with no deal I don’t see what this will accomplish.

Edit:

Oh, hello - sitting Tory MP Phillip Lee (never heard of him, doesn’t matter) has just crossed the floor to the LibDem benches.

There goes the government majority!!!

3 Likes

Well, there’s a thing.
It has just been reported that the Government actually got the order to prorogue Parliament two weeks before Jacob Rees-Knob actually went to Balmoral in a sham trip. The Scottish Court of Session has been told that the Government lawyers have deliberately tried to mislead the court.
Bloody shameful!!
The bastard will stop at nothing to lie and cheat his way through this unholy mess.
It now needs Nicky Morgan who has already announced she will be leaving parliament at the next election to follow suit - if not to the LibDems, the Independents.

2 Likes

The Tories who have announced they will stand down are now free to defy the whip/vote against the government in a VONC - they don’t actually need to join other parties.

True - but the embarrassment that crossing the floor must cause to the liar and philanderer Johnson must be so tempting!!!

Someone like Nicky Morgan is a pretty dyed in the wool Tory, private education, Oxford graduate, active in the Tory party even at Uni - she might dislike Johnson enough to vote against him but I’ll bet leaving the party was easier for her than considering joining another.

Really funny. Just seen a banner being carried by a protester outside parliament with the message Bojoccio and an image of Johnson with an ever growing nose :rofl:

1 Like

I was alerted by an email notification, Mr Lees, that you had mentioned me (rolyat) in one of your comments. As you seem to be a frequent commenter on this forum, I’ll remind you to save you time searching for it: “Absolutely disgusting behaviour no doubt completely supported wholeheartedly by @anon58066726 and @rolyat who can’t give answers to simple questions about the benefits of Brexit - just like JRM and his ilk”. For some reason, I am in your sights, made obvious by your assumption that I support some alleged abuse by “Jacob Rees-knob” (sic) about which I have not read nor seen anything; and by your assertion that I “can’t give answers to simple questions about the benefits of Brexit”. I hope I am phrasing this response in an acceptably polite manner: I haven’t got a clue what you mean. I do feel it’s a tad aggressive and critical (would you say that to my face at a dinner party which I’ve read is a guideline of this forum?). However, in my newly discovered attempt not to snipe, not to be unpleasant, not to get personal etc), I simply ask you what you’re on about? Ask me any question you like about anything (presumably it will be Brexit oriented) and you will receive my honest and, no doubt, incisive answer(s).

2 Likes

I absolutely would say that to your face.
My perception is that you subscribe to the points being made by NCC-1701 (evidenced by you liking a significant post by NCC-1701 which gave rise to me including you in the response I made). The nub of the matter under my scrutiny was that, having been invited to make any sort of explanation as to his stance on Brexit, he still fails to do so.