Opinion: John Bercow is itching to stop Brexit – and he might just succeed

What makes you think that JRM, as you refer to him, “has cultivated the ‘smarmy Victorian mill owning toff’ accent”. What accent did he have before he supposedly “cultivated” this new one?

No questions to me, I note. If I had had the opportunity to vote, I would have voted “Remain” without a moment’s hesitation.

A different one.

I don’t think you can squeeze out of answering my question as easily as that! Just be honest and admit that he’s always had the accent that you claim to be “cultivated”. Presumably you did that to help emphasise the point you were trying very hard to make. I am not a fan of his but I am not a fan either of twisting facts to prop up one’s position on a topic. I would have thought that would be beneath a Team member; it doesn’t set a good example to the rest of us, does it?

As it happens, I was at Oxford with him and his voice has changed as per my post.

6 Likes

Have you known him for a long time, then?

2 Likes

Just seen the appalling image of Rees-Mogg sprawled across the government benches as though he’s in his own living room - not in the heart of government debating the most important issues for the UK since the war. He is an arrogant disgrace who is supposed to be The Leader of the House - Angry doesn’t begin to describe my feelings this evening.

There is also a move afoot to remove Bercow - I pray that the Government is defeated tonight and tomorrow.

3 Likes

“Rebel” motion passes 328:301

3 Likes

Again, what was his accent prior to his “cultivated” one? Scouse, Yorkshire, Cockney, Welsh??? And, as you were at Oxford with him (Trinity College?), that means he must have entered Eton with his uncultivated accent; that wouldn’t have gone down too well, I imagine.

No. I’ve known a lot of Old Etonians for a long time and a “cultivated” accent would certainly have been unusual when he was there.

and just like his boss who put his feet up on President Macron’s coffee table in the Élysée Palace.
No doubt after that vote, BoJo’s rescue dog is in for a kicking…

2 Likes

Pleased to hear it.

1 Like

I could hardly believe what I was seeing either Dan…Rees-Bog came over like a bored teenager…

Disgraceful and contemptuous…

2 Likes

So you don’t know him, in fact.
It’s a big school and you can’t generalise. Admittedly the fashion (when I was at the other place a bit before he was at Oxford) was to sound as unsmart as possible (Estuary à la Tony Blair) in order to have street cred.

1 Like

No, as I wrote in my previous post, no. I agree about generalisation but, for once, I’m breaking my own rule and disagreeing with you in that my experience with Etonians from the late 1950s until the present day is that street cred is not something they seek!

Late 50s yes certainly no care for street cred, when I think of eg my father, however that generation is very unlike mine, some of my contemporaries in the mid-eighties were desperate to sound unsmart, they didn’t sound at all the same talking to their parents as to fellow undergraduates. Terribly funny.

3 Likes

I think you have misunderstood my point and the use of the word cultivated. Which is perhaps why you wrote ‘cultivated’?

1 Like

I’m going to use a different word to describe JRM’s accent - exaggerated.

Anyway back to the matter at hand. It was thoroughly enjoyable seeing Johnson being slapped about last night, let’s hope it continues today.

2 Likes

To be fair Macron joked that the coffee tables looked like foot stools and Johnson lifted his foot for a fraction of a second to go along with the gag. I’ll bet half the press photographers that were there failed to get a shot of Johnson with his foot “on” the table. There’s a video kicking around if you want to see how it happened - much less incriminating.

I’ll leave you to decide for yourself whether Macron set the joke up as a trap to generate bad press for Johnson.

Agree!