Orange LigneFixe "geographic" number issue

To get a decent mobile phone signal in the house, get a Femtocell.
Assuming your mobile subscriptions are Orange or Sosh.

https://assistance.orange.fr/mobile-tablette/tous-les-mobiles-et-tablettes/installer-et-utiliser/optimiser-votre-couverture-avec-la-femtocell/femtocell-installer_63877-64725

Given that John is reluctant to switch from a reliable POTS1 phone to Orange’s phone-over-internet service because of poor mobile reception I don’t think that is a solution.

You can’t use your mobile as a backup to your main phone if both stop working at the same time.

Orange stopped selling/supporting these about a year ago. Mistake IMO

Oh, I didn’t know that. Sorry.

As above I don’t think that one would have solved Johns problem.

I confess I haven’t looked at the technology in years - it looked to be “the next big thing” but seems to have fallen on barren ground, or never even got off the ground - I guess reception just got good enough to kill demand (except where it didn’t, of course)

In principle, a great idea, but people in France somehow seemed against the idea of having to pay for infrastructure out of their own pocket
 Orange tried to flog me one of these back in the day, and I recall laughing in the face of the phone salesperson saying something like “the day you can guarantee me a decent basic high bandwidth connection” that doesn’t always keep falling over, for a reasonable price, is the day I might consider taking out a rental on a femtocell. " Unsurprisingly, the conversation ended there in a rather awkward silence.

I suspect that’s true more widely than just France.

Femtocells exist and are deployed, of course, but it seems to have been a non-starter as a consumer thing - probably for the reason Alex states.

I wish I got one, by the time I decided it would be a very good idea it was too late grrrrrrr😣

1 Like

I am grateful for all the suggestions.

I would like to know if anyone else is getting regular connection interrupts in a VDSL2 service that Orange identifies as stable and good.

The Chrome extension, ‘Internet Connection Monitor’ that I started some days ago, is still logging regular disconnects, some of which are for several seconds or even minutes
 “Disconnects, 24h: 8”.
I had a Teams meeting yesterday pm, and the connection had to reboot at least 4 times
 this appears to correlate with the log, which reported during the period of that 80 minutes meeting that there were 8 occasions when the internet was lost, ranging from 1 second to 9 seconds long. Its as if it has disconnects when traffic gets heavier (such as Teams up-streaming). Since the interrupts between 17:00 and 18:20 yesterday, there were none logged until 07:00 this morning, again several seconds
 which has happened about that time every morning.

Now our Internet is working again, I noted in missed emails that I had a reply from a customer relations assistant following my complaint to the CEO of Orange. I can supply the CEO’s email if anyone needs it.
It confirms belatedly that both ligne fixe should work, and that if we wished we could have the Geographic number changed to work on the Internet phone!
" Plainte - concernant un accÚs bloqué prolongé (à Orange TV) et maintenant Ligne Fixe
Bonjour Monsieur Counsell
Je vous apporte les explications apportées par votre service clients.
Vous disposez de 2 lignes :

• 0384xxxx : Ligne fixe principal qui sert Ă©galement du support Ă  l’offre internet : pour utiliser ce numĂ©ro vous devez brancher un tĂ©lĂ©phone sur la prise murale en T (avec un filtre adsl en intermĂ©diaire)
  • 096xxxx : Livebox Zen Sip pour utiliser ce numĂ©ro, un telĂ©phone doit ĂȘtre branchĂ© sur la prise RJ11 de la livebox
    les 2 lignes fonctionnent en parallĂšle.
    Si aucun appareil n’est branchĂ© sur la prise murale en T et que vous avez dĂ©placĂ© votre appareil derriĂšre la livebox, c’est normal que lorsque que vous Ă©mettiez des appel votre N° VOIP 09xxxx s’affiche.
    Si vous n’avez pas d’usage spĂ©cifique de la ligne RTC (alarme, tĂ©lĂ©surveillance mĂ©dicale, etc.) nous pourrions votre offre en abonnement internet sans abonnement, avec conservation du numĂ©ro RTC 0384xxxx comme numĂ©ro VOIP de la livebox.
    Ainsi, le n° d’appel de la livebox deviendrait le 0384xxxx et il ne serait plus nĂ©cessaire de brancher un tĂ©lĂ©phone sur la prise murale.
    Recevez, Monsieur, mes meilleures salutations,
    Carol
    Direction Orange
    Relation Client

"