Orchard Fruit Trees

It looks like we are going to have a very poor harvest this year, due to the heavy late frosts most of our pear, walnut, apple, plum, greengage and cherry trees have seen the fruit set decimated.
Only one cherry tree looks to partially have any fruit on it, the quince and figs look ok and maybe the black walnut tree, but the raspberry and white, red, and black currants are poor as well, it looks like for the first time we are going to have to buy fruit this year :frowning:

Sadly, yours is not an isolated case.

Virtually everything has been damaged around here. Fruit will be very expensive this year, I reckon.

Mine is looking OK, well what is left, we had a whole heap of trees die last year.

The only fruit we look like getting are apples, some redcurrants and blueberries (if I remember to net them before the blackbirds get them.)

Out apricot tree died completely :frowning: and our fig, for the first time ever, is only just putting on some small leaves and there is no fruit apparent. Plums, greengages, cherries and pears are all without fruit. Going to be a lean year (and expensive as @Stella quite rightly says)

We are lucky with our fig trees are they are quite big and have plenty figs on them already especially the one sheltered by the barn.

3 Likes

You’re lucky
 I’ve been checking the local gardens which normally provide so much fruit to the school and neighbours.

Figs are months behind, only small leaves at present and no fruit. (at least they are alive)
Cherries
 perhaps a handful on some trees, none on others.
Apples, pears etc
 a lost cause.

The school kids planted a mixed orchard many years ago. Each child was given a tree to care for
 and later everyone would profit.

Been providing free fruit for us all up until this year
 total disaster.

Ours are all fine here in Brittany - especially heavy crop of cherries almost ready (though the birds will get most of them) - all kinds of berries looking good too.

We got 17lb off one tree alone last year, not one on it this year.

2 Likes

Only a few on one of ours and the birds got them first.
We usually have cherries from our neighbour who has really established trees of different varieties so they fruit at different times.
Zilch this year.

All our trees are well established 40 years + but nothing on the big cherry trees this year, one of the cherry trees has the biggest graft I think I have ever seen :laughing:

We are looking for a particular plum tree which we know grows well in the Charente as on one of our visits we stopped at a layby and had a feast of these small cherry shaped plums. It was also a very attractive tree but we can’t seem to find it in any garden centre. I don’t think it’s the cherry plum. Any suggestions as to its technical name. They have come into supermarkets now but on the box it just says plum

What colour are they?

I only know of two small cherry shaped plums. The first is mirabelle, which is golden coloured and fruit here in June so not likely in the shops now. The second is a Gypsy plum, which is deep red.

That’s very interesting, @hairbear. I’ve just looked up “Gypsy” and it looks like it’s a variety of mirabelle, albeit fruiting at a different time of year. We had a mirabelle for years and it fruited very well but grew far too big for us so we regretfully had to get rid of it. It looks like the Gypsy sort may be more manageable, so thank you very much for that - I shall give it a go!

Orangey yellow a bit like green gage

Could it actually be a greengage - Reine Claude? They seem to be around now

Added - I have a “reine-claude d’Oullins” - goldish colour and gorgeous to eat

1 Like

Golden gage?

1 Like

I have a large mirabelle tree. On half of the tree the fruit is initially green, on the other half they are a deep red, some with touches of orange. As the fruit begins to ripen the green fruit turns to the same colours as the other half. This year we picked our mirabelles in July.

1 Like

After a terrible spring and summer so far (no cherries almonds or hazelnuts) I thought I’d get no fruit at all but in fact I have lots of plums peaches greengages apples quince medlars and it is a bumper year for walnuts, figs and pomegranates. Haven’t yet looked to see if there are persimmons on the way.

1 Like