Over 50, getting up to wee in the night

I’ve lead a monastic sheltered life :wink::laughing::laughing:

1 Like

No I dont, cancer has been around a long time deadlier but rarer. Now we are faced with 1:2 its bloody terrible makes covid look like a cold.
Back to your articles, Factcheckers or journalists as we all know them are not clinical anythings. No there are no clinical trials (sadly) because proper randomised double blind trials cost multiple £10’000’s and if there were anything in apricot seeds then the drug companies wouldn’t make any money. By example, I was given by the NHS a bottle of very special mouthwash to alleviate the oral thrush in the middle of my chemotherapy. £18 per bottle, told not to use over the counter mouthwash as it contained alcohol which would make the condition worse. What did the expensive clinically tested and approved mouthwash contain? Alcohol, oh and sugar, what do you not give to a yeast infection? Sugar of course. It was useless so I treated myself with bicarbonate of soda, known to kill yeast infections, the condition cleared up over the weekend. I saw my oncologist and he couldn’t believe it had cleared up so fast, broke the news it was bicarbonate of soda and not the expensive mouthwash the NHS had been royally ripped of for. He said " they would never clinically trial bicarbonate of soda because no one would make any money" that meant he couldn’t recommend it.
Now in the treatment of people that really is bollocks.

Back to the Hunza, the report said malnutrition, compared to the average lard assed American everyone would have malnutrition, yes they fast and for several weeks at a time, that could easily be a contributing factor as autophagy can kill cancer cells, yes there are cancer cells in everyone but something throws the switch. When faced with inoperable cancers would you be willing to try something like fasting? There are cases where doctors have been amazed and the nobel prize for medicine was awarded to a doctor studying autophagy due to the importance of his research. He found out that cancers can turn off autophagy which is a possibility of how they grow unchecked by our immune systems.

Good luck with yours!

2 Likes

No real point in trying anything as basically my sleep centre in the upper hypothalamus been distroyed by scar tissue so it will be lack of sleep that will probably get me before the tumor will, down too under 40 hours a month sleep now but that’s life and it’s what you make of it :wink::yum:
Anyway back to the Hunza, a lot of the misconceptions about them came from healthy living advocate J. I. Rodale who wrote a book called The Healthy Hunzas 1948 which was used to bolster his then fledgling publication Prevention magazine, I was brought up on stories about the region as my grandfather visited the area after the war so knew quite a bit about the region.

1 Like

Thats an absolute bugger, a double whammy need sleep to repair but can’t get it. Phew!

Its weired that a people(Hunza) eat a mild cyanide compound but dont live the shortest lifespan on the planet? A bit like the French paradox where the french eat a lot of fat but are thin with low levels of heart disease, or to put it another way “The Americans got it wrong again” Not my words, an American Professor.

1 Like

Sorry I meant to include this link.

https://biblelife.org/hunza.htm

A great read thank you.

“The people were relatively healthy, especially when compared to the citizens in England where obesity, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease ravaged the British due of their high carbohydrate diet of grains, bread, sugar, honey, fruit and potatoes. The Hunza people were slender, healthy, and athletic compared to relatives of the British solders at home in England who were fat and sickly.”

No change there then.

1 Like

It does show the misconceptions that they were the disease free, long living super humans that Rodale started the myths about, healthier, fitter than most but living where they do they were always going to be.

I do remember reading a paper a decade or 2 back where giving mice a near-starvation diet was found to increase lifespan over normally fed animals. Sat here thinking while writing, there was also similar work done with hydra (small aquatic animals). There was a lot of interest at the time as to what the mechanism might be.

Something to remember with myths about big pharma suppression of ideas is that these companies are run by older guys, many of whom end up dying of cancer too. Self-interest would make them follow up serious possibilities.

I guess many have already seen this on netflix, but quite eye opening re diet - oh, how times change :grin:

They would never suppress an idea they could make money from, only the ones they can’t.

American tobacco is a prime example of bending the science and falsehoods used to undermine the truth.

1 Like

Lets see what I said:

If there were a miracle cancer prevention option to be had from eating apricot kernels (or something else with low levels of cyanide) it would make enormous sums of money for the first company to get it to market in a readily available form. Even if the material could not be patented in it’s own right because it were natural, the application of it could be. And also the old guys (and sometimes women) running these businesses might get to enjoy more of a healthy old age through not dying of cancer themselves.

As for money and investment, there are people investing in research into homeopathy - I know at least one company that has received significant investment over at least a 5 year period (if they’re still going then it’s 10 years) to demonstrate a biochemical basis for homeopathic effect. Even if a major pharma player would not invest, certainly there would be minor and fringe operators that would do so.

I don’t disagree about the tobacco industry. Sadly American Pharma appears increasingly led by money (particularly looking at you Shkrelli and Purdue) but they are not the only players in town.

I would be very happy to be surprised about the mystery benefits of this diet, but without a double blind trial I shall remain a skeptic. :slight_smile:

The Burushaski in the Hunza valley had appalling rates of infant and under 5 as well as perinatal maternal mortality until relatively recently but that might obviously not be a sexy as looking at those who made it through to a grand old age…

There is a study (which, annoyingly, I cannot find at the moment) that looked at the health of adult Burusho. The conclusions were many and complex but the most succinct and easily-digestible version was that the high perinatal, infant and child mortality ensured that only the healthiest survived into adulthood. They then enjoyed long lives.

1 Like

Yes that was what I thought, the fittest were deffo selected, if they made it to 5 or 6 then another 90 years was a doddle, barring accidents.

1 Like

There’s another theory in which the long lives were recorded because the chief of the Burusho simply lied about the age of the individuals to enhance his reputation…

It seems that this approach is also used in some western countries that describe themselves as democracies :rofl:

2 Likes

Rather like all those jokers in Papua New Guinea telling Margaret Mead all sorts of hilarious made up things.

I did fully understand your point AM, whilst I am happy to look into topics and theories like you its good to see some evidence. Also very happy to receive counter points like Griffin36’s these are discussions after all.

Sometimes no matter what the subject researchers miss something first time around and as our ever enquiring minds develop new ways to breakdown compounds into smaller and small parts good things happen. The more I look at the machine that is our bodies the more amazed I become.

Autophagy seems such an incredible latent system to mop up bad debris in our systems but to give it a chance we have to do a 180 deg on our overfed grazing lifestyles.

2 Likes

Often when a counter argument is placed it appears to be nothing more than opposition, rather than coming from the view of dispassionate debate and wanting to know what’s real. To me it’s important to make that distinction, otherwise we all come across as seekers after ‘our truth’ as the post-modern idiom goes.

1 Like

You need to talk to your doctor.

Bit of a myth this one - half the drugs used to treat cancer have an origin in the natural world. It didn’t stop the pharmaceutical industry applying small chemical tweaks and patenting the results.

1 Like