Over 50, getting up to wee in the night

So I guess that’s a favourable result :+1: and very useful feedback - touch wood no problems with prostate, but I’d be very interested to know what saw palmetto you took i.e. dose…

1 Like

My local hospital prescribed Saw Palmetto for my prostate, and it works OK, but from memory, I think I read that Americans buy it mainly to help regrow or prevent hair loss.

There’s an ingredient in a man’s testosterone that causes or can cause male hair loss, and one of the effects of Saw Palmetto is to inhibit the production of this particular hormonal ingredient.

Getting up 3 or 4 times a night to pee is not normal"

1 Like

In the last 24 hrs I have had a repeat of my experience of two years ago, when spending a day loading the van with my stuff to ship here. Six hrs non-stop heaving stuff out of storage and packing the van. Didn’t stop once during the day nor get up that night …

Yesterday was spent doing a lot of heavy lifting. Heaving the oven in and out of the cabinet, likewise the m/w oven [absurdly heavy object], heaving the cabinet about, indoors, outdoors to cut it up … The result was, as per loading the van, that a day of strenuous exercise very nearly completely eliminated the problem. I didn’t I stop once during the day and I only got up once last night as opposed to sometimes 4-5 - or more!

These two occasions stand out. They are particularly memorable occasions when the up-in-the-night trips have been eliminated by dint of exercise. It may be that more of the same would result in not needing Tamsalosine …

I believe you to be correct that some strenuous exercise does help. Our modern lifestyles to little to help, we dont even climb out of the armchair to change chanels anymore.

As an observer of this whole issue, may I add that I also think it depends how deeply a man is sleeping. After exercise, he probably sleeps better. OH has mild sleep apnoea and if he has a glass of wine with supper he will often get up less (you might expect him to get up more but doesn’t). The wine probably means he sleeps more deeply and better.
It’s chicken and egg. Does the feeling of needing to wee wake the sleeper? Or does broken imperfect sleep lead to a feeling that one should get up and wee?

2 Likes

Not that I suffer badly from this but nature calls and not the other way. Red wine is good.

A day of strenuous exercise will make your heart beat faster, which means more blood passes through the kidneys releasing more urine, and keeping the kidneys clean.

Regular exercise is good for the kidneys and your bladder.

1 Like

And bowels :flushed:

When I was a regular cyclist exerciser, doing 60 minutes around the countryside, pumping away at the pedals, I always needed a full pee once dismounted back home. It’s the extra blood pumping through the kidneys that does it.

I’ve had prostate problems for a long time but waking up in the middle of the night for a pee never bothered me. But I don’t sleep that well, so I wake up for reasons other than wanting a pee. Once the brain is awake, the body starts to wake up, and so do the kidneys & bladder!

The kidneys are on the go, constantly, all day long but slow down during sleep, then wake up if you wake up, and get going again, leading to the loo!

1 Like

coffee can irritate the waterworks, even tea can to a lesser extent.

You could see if doing without coffee for a few days changes things? obvs not if you are still having sugary drinks, beer etc

Caffine free coffee and tea? I have decaff coffee from the afternoon onwards.

Which is worrying as sleep is so important, night all :kissing_heart:

I’m under 50 and don’t have a willy. Sometimes have to get up (usually hormone related in the last 1/3 of my cycle). Bloody aging!

2 Likes

As Margaret Thatcher once famously said of her deputy PM - “everyone needs a willie” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m giving up tea! In my early thirties, 50 years ago, I had peeing problems, having to pee suddenly, urgently, sometimes uncontrollably unable to be held back. I decided to stop drinking tea and beer for 7 days and my peeing problems ceased completely. Beer was not the culprit – it was tea. But I continued drinking tea and managed the consequences.

In my early 80s, I have persistent peeing problems thinking it due to benign prostate enlargement. But no, as I’ve discovered again, it’s the TEA.

My usual tea-drinking time is in the morning, highly desired. But since drinking hot black chocolate with milk and honey in the morning instead of tea, I’ve had no peeing urgencies or accidents – all gone – within 24 hours!

I managed to give up sugar in my tea back in the day very easily, so I think I’ll do all right without tea,
but what is it with tea that it can irritate the bladder so? Or is it just me?

It’s a diuretic.

Then I must have a highly sensitive bladder. Don’t why I’ve put up with it for so long!

Within a couple of days I feel a new sense of calm as well.

2 Likes

The lack of caffeine?

1 Like