Patrons - what are they?

suggestion would be to spend on developing some answers to FAQ, or a help guide…I’ve used SF for about three months and still don’t find navigation intuitive…for example I click on unread posts and it seems random which opens, ie one with 300 posts opened at 195…why not the latest.? And them I have to scroll to the end, Good site but use is cumbersome, I know its a package but investment in user help would be good

it’s intuitive John. It helpfully remembers the last post in a thread you read and allows you to continue from there so you don’t miss any.
Ordering the list from the latest downwards may mean many repeated posts and/or frustration as people may miss important bits in the thread. If you want to skip to the end of a thread (ie the latest post) you can do so simply by pressing the End key on your keyboard.

1 Like

In my experience, it’s the reverse of intuitive, because its peculiarities are something you have to learn and remember - and I’ve used a lot of forums for a good number of years. The way the software deals with replies to posts, the lack of “pages”, the way subjects are grouped or not …

I agree, a user’s guide would be very helpful, perhaps written by those who know their way around?

and what features would you like to see in it?

@james is there a Discourse handbook for the SF software as a starting base?
I have found this reference

1 Like

Hi Graham,
Discourse do provide this new user guide.

2 Likes

beat you to it Tracey :wink:

3 Likes

Snap, same link! :wink: lol

2 Likes

@james perhaps the two Discourse references I have flagged (trust levels and the New User Guide) could be added to the thread link banner as suggested before as a starting point?

1 Like

I was thinking they could go under the “hamburger” (3 lines top right) along with the other site information, users , badges , cakeday etc… perhaps at the bottom under FAQ.

Beers and Gin :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You forgot my hair extensions and acrylic gel nails…

2 Likes

I can’t put them on the right as there are no sub menus there, they’ll have to go on the left, already a bit crowded. I might lose transferwise though.

No @james not the top bar… the Thread bar

I don’t think I have access to edit that.

which is a pity, because that would be a good place to put references like the Discourse links. Are you aware that Keyboard Shortcuts only brings up another instance of the main page?
gnome-shell-screenshot-ZE0UV0

Hope this helps

1 Like

Yes, it would be ideal.

No I wasn’t, I will have a look!

It works for me, anyone else not see it?

@james Is there a reason that I am now being bombarded with adverts in Chrome on my android phone? Not happened before. It makes the available (non-ad) screen space tiny and not really useable.

Yes, I’ve turned ads on so I can see them as we are working on delivery, I’ll turn them off shortly!