PC gone mad

Oh gawd…

What’s wrong with describing something as mansize FFS?

2 Likes

Do you think that the proposed new laws about hate crimes against men and old people will give us the power to fight back against this lunacy!!

I hope so Michael. It really is becoming boring.

1 Like

I agree totally that it’s PC gone way ott. Maybe we should apply the term extra large ? Mmmm maybe not as this would seem to be discriminating against those of us who are vertically/horizontally challenged. It’s all gone totally bonkers, just who decides all this BS ? :dizzy_face:

Why stop there Anne? Why not “Extra large like what people with big noses or heavy colds or even larger people some of whom might be male can use.”
Its all-inclusive and I do not believe it discriminates. It does not say that you cannot use them if you only have a small nose or your cold is not particularly heavy.

1 Like

Because it carries a thoughtless implication that men are bigger than women (in some unspecifed way) or perhaps that their needs are bigger.

It is another manifestation of “the little woman” mentality that used to be taken for granted, but no longer, because it keeps popping up in new whack-a-mole guises.

Don’t get defensively hot under the collar, fellows: just listen to what is being explained to you. That, in my experience (very hard won, bruised ego to show for it) is what most women would do. :grin:

I’m not excluding Ann (or Anne [sic]), of course. Some men would still think, and perhaps suggest you were “tired” or “having a bad day”. :scream::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

A few months ago a police sergeant with responsibility for diversity complained
about a branch of Tesco signing 'feminine hygiene products ’ as ’ feminine '`

`

Maybe ‘Tampax’ should be redesigned as one size fits all ? :wink:

1 Like

Well, Nellie, it’s possible he was responding responsibily to complaints that women (or men) had made to him, and it fell within his area of responsibilty to escalate their concern to others.

If we had his perspective on the matter we might come objectively to another decision. And it is possible he misjudged the matter, but this is a whole new world of equality-calibrating, and I think there’s still lots to learn for us all.

Well, Ann, I’m not ashamed to say that I buy sanitary products for men because I suffer prostatism like most septuagenarians+ and it causes an occasiinal fuite which can be an embarrassment.

I’m able recently to buy appropriate protection since coming to grown-up France. It is labelled “homme”, very widely available in all supermarchés and enclosed in ‘manly’ blue packaging. I’m too old to care what anybody thinks if they spy my trolley or if my hôtesse de caisse thinks it’s a shame, poor old connard: she may be married to one who has to piss when nature calls.

These occasional ruffled sensibilities are part of the levelling process. Don’t let’s be too quick to judgement but have a calm debate in the arena of so-called Political Correctness. The PC label is immature and closed-minded, I think. Let’s rise above it.

You, and many other men and women, yes me included, shouldn’t ever be ashamed, or embarrassed by a need to buy products that are necessary to us all at some stage in our lives.

I destest the PC that haunts us, you say, and I quote “I’m able recently to buy appropriate protection since coming to grown-up France. It is labelled “homme”, very widely available in all supermarchés and enclosed in ‘manly’ blue packaging. I’m too old to care what anybody thinks if they spy my trolley or if my hôtesse de caisse thinks it’s a shame, poor old connard: she may be married to one who has to piss when nature calls.”

I do believe that it’s time we recognised that it’s not just women who have problems with ‘fuites’, and good for you to speak about it so frankly here.

Generally though due to our ‘differences’ we women have had to buy necessary ‘feminine products’ from an early age. We have had to pay a tax on a monthly basis during very many years for products we can’t do without.

I personally don’t care if something like tissues are labelled Man size, to me it means they are larger and I can snuffle at ease. In France however you cannot find larger tissues. It’s time we stopped getting hysterical over the way things/people/events are named.

Yet again I feel slightly out of step with SFN majority. Maybe some of the PC stuff has gone a bit daft, but quite frankly I never want to return to the bad old days. Pushing political correctness has done many hugely positive things, so if the see-saw tips too far over for a while well too bad. Maybe easier for certain commentators to consider it mad since they rarely had to suffer the effects of being marginalised, excluded and discriminated against in supposedly innocuous everyday speech.

1 Like

Maybe nothing, maybe it plays to stereotypes of hunky alpha males with the little wife at home.

But I’m pretty clear on one thing - there isn’t anything wrong with calling them “extra large” - spade a spade and all that.

1 Like

Thanks for your sisterly endorsement, Ann. I think being a nurse has helped me to discover very early on that, unclothed, we’re all made more-or-less the same way, and take our apparatus, God Bless its overall reliability, utterly for granted, considering how few if us have a clue how any of it works, and couldn’t carry out a routine service in a million years!

I think most of the hysteria around PC is generated by the why–oh-why types who don’t like their bigotry challenged, and want to be free to describe people as poofters, dykes, cripples, defects, psychos, nutters, wogs, chinks, “the filth” etc.

There is a word to describe their attitude towards respect and decency, but I won’t use it, they’d blow a gasket (hope that’s not offensive to gasket-fitters) :thinking::zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

With Kleenex being an American company then it was only a matter of time before that PC mad country started to export its ways into Europe, it will only be a matter of time before we will have safe houses for men in the UK.

Used to be the case…
The public bar was for men and the snug or lounge for wimmin :joy:

4 Likes

Tissues were first manufactured in 1924 to remove cold cream. In 1941 man size tissues were made aimed at men obviously who still mainly used cotton handkerchieves I suppose. It was just branding, the same as this change is just branding. Nothing to do with pc, they just want you to buy their tissues!

It is PC gone mad… and it is a waste of money… the cost of changing packaging etc is not negligible… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

No it isn’t “negligible” but if you are going to re-design packaging etc anyway, which most brands do fairly frequently the extra cost, above and beyond what you’d spend on branding anyway, is probably not that great.

Ultimately it is just a branding exercise, presumably to appeal more to the “other 50%” of the market :slight_smile:

1 Like