Penny Pinching War Baby Calling

The second world war, not the first. :rofl: Mayo containers are opaque so hide the remains. Tried rinsing with vinegar. Not good. And olive oil. Ditto. Apart from getting out the black and decker is my only option chucking them mourning I didnt get the last bit out?

1 Like

I gave up with those a long time ago, now only buy jars of mayo or make my own/ailoli etc. I have found only Heinz ketchup bottles work well if you keep them upside down but when you use them, you get the watery bit first unless you want to shake and start the slide down process again.

Two suggestions:
1 hold upside down under a stream of hot water for a few seconds - the remains become less viscous and can be extracted easily
2 add vinegar, olive oil, mustard, water and sugar (i e. French dressing manqué) and shake VERY vigorously. You end up with a fairly runny but creamy salad dressing.

3 Likes

My problem is with Branston pickles in plastic upside down jars with severe shoulders. I think the next one will be sorted with the scissors.

3 Likes

bonjour Shiba - trouble with jars is the bottle bank is filled with our wine bottles :joy: Seriously though I will go back to jars - parsimony rules!

1 Like

will have a go at that merci Brian

d’accord - they are bxxxers too

I also get peeved at the small jars of pesto sauce (Barilla and Lidl that are nearly same tasting but poles apart in price) as they have a ridge just down from the top and trap a lot of the sauce which when you want it all for a family pasta meal is a waste I tried some water but didn’t want to compromise the sauce itself

1 Like

I know what you mean… but… just a tiny dash of hot water… really tiny dash (a few drops), lid firmly on, shake very well, lid off… tip it out swiftly, before it has time to hide… :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I’ve fallen in love with silicon scrapers, the amount of sauce from the bottom of a pan is massive. Even peanut butter where you think you’ve done your best with a knife yields 2 extra sandwiches! Action do a 4 set and the smallest even gets in the lidl pesto jars. Highly recommended!

7 Likes

Seconded, they are marvellous! And fab for buttering a cake tin if you haven’t the butter paper to hand.

2 Likes

I’m going to Action tomorrow so will have a looksee for those scrapers Mine are all big cake ones

1 Like

You can get a multipack with a couple of differently-shaped small ones and bigger ones and a long one that looks like a table knife. I got mine online but I bet they are everywhere. IKEA does a set of two with bamboo handles which are very good only at some stage the bamboo snaps.

1 Like

I use some pasta water to shake the rest of pesto from the jars. But if I only use 1/2 jar, I just add some Olive oil and stick the jar in the freezer. Had some previously go moldy very fast.

3 Likes

That really takes me back to the '60s and helping my great aunt when she baked. It was my job to grease the cake tins with butter, using the butter paper. I still do it today.

10 Likes

A (clean!) finger under the rim works well - with a glove if necessary.
My big bugbear is pump action containers.
I used to use a particular brand of moisturiser but they started selling it only in a wasteful pump action dispenser.
As a care worker I often have to use creams which are dispensed this way.
Once they have stopped pumping, if you cut open the container you can often find a good third of it still full!

1 Like

If you’re a war baby you must be over 35 then

3 Likes

Liquid soap is like that, the pipe does not seem to go down far enough so I always add water, it still froths and is just as cleansing.

1 Like

Yes as you use up the pesto make sure to cover with olive oil to keep the oxygen from send the rest off, doesnt need the freezer and the extra olive oil and a bit of a shake will loosen that bit caught on the ridge in the jar.

Those are the bits (ridge of jar) that go mouldy- hence the freezer.
I have grown some impressive species of mould in ‘forgotten’ jars of condiments.
OH is king of condiments, his collection occupies 1 shelf in the fridge.