Pesticides in neighbouring fields

Do french farmers use as much pesticide as farmers in other countries?

Rather difficult to determine that John. If you google pesticide consumption in Europe you will come up with figures disaggregated by country but these are concerned with overall consumption rather than figures for individual enterprises or types of cultivation. Vine yards will use different pesticides to arable farmers or livestock farmers for example. Given that any farm chemical is expensive and the regulations on pesticide residues in the food chain become increasingly stringent farmers in France and elsewhere in the EU (those idiotic regulations imposed by Brussels,HA Ha Ha) will be using less in future.

Thanks for the reply David, itā€™s just that the French have a reputation for good quality food and was wondering if it had anything to do with them having a tendency to grow more organically.

Well french wines have a good reputation but very few are organicā€¦report in paper today said this:

In 2000, a French government report noted that vineyards used 3% of all agricultural land, but 20% of the total pesticides. In 2013, a study found traces of pesticides in 90% of wines available at French supermarkets.

And France has been slower than other countries to take up organic production, especially in meat. Although cheese could be the exception. We are in an area of comtĆ© cheese and the farmers can use chemicals on the cows but canā€™t spray the fields as they have to be flower rich meadows - and this is inspected.

ā€œbioā€ is gradually making its way across the countryside, as France bans more and more pesticides and unnecessary chemical intrusion into the food-chain. It is essential to have the support of local farmers as well as the Public to achieve the full ā€œbioā€ effect.

We live in an area which is intensively ā€œbioā€ ā€¦ thus the local produce bought for the school dinners is all ā€œbioā€ā€¦ except the meat. Although the meat does come from a farm which has almost gained the ā€œbioā€ label. It is almost there and we shall soon be able to officially confirm that we give the children totally organic foodā€¦

Many folk are turning to (bio)organic market-gardeners for their fruit, veg, eggs and it is becoming a thriving network.

Youngsters (by my standards) are buying some of the fallow fields and empty properties and turning them into a viable business/living. Huge sums are not being made, but they reckon that this is the best way of life for them and their children.

Of course some folk complain when they are told they cannot use a certain weedkiller (or whatever) on the garden path etc etcā€¦ (and yes, the weeds do drive me mad too)ā€¦ but I doubt we would ever get 100% uncomplaining support for anythingā€¦ :wink::zipper_mouth_face::relaxed:

We can now find bio meat in the local supermarket; but not bio meat which also has good welfare standards for the animals. Still a way to goā€¦

Absolutely, itā€™s the complete packageā€¦ how they live, how they feed, how they are treatedā€¦and then, of course, how they die.

This thread has been interestingā€¦

I wonder how the EU backtracking on glyphosate ban will affect this?

Itā€™s an ongoing battle ā€¦ ā€œeveryoneā€ wants to see chemicals reduced/removed from the water table and the food chainā€¦ (or do they?). Perhaps folk only want it, so long as it doesnā€™t cost them anything extraā€¦ certainly many Farmers are up in armsā€¦

Ordinary folk are already forbidden to use a wide range of stuffā€¦ in their gardens etc etcā€¦ and more and more Collectivities are signing the ā€œbio-charterā€ and sourcing alternative means of control.

Yes, there may well be an additional cost and Yes alternative ways of doing things have to be found. (often more labour intensive).

If the planet is to surviveā€¦ all of us have to make changesā€¦ :zipper_mouth_face:

Is this going to include stuff like ant powder? Hope not.

1 Like

I use washing-up liquidā€¦ they donā€™t like crossing thatā€¦ :grin:

Keeping ones ā€˜plotā€™, unattractive to ants and other bugs/animals, works too Mark, they wonā€™t waste their time if thereā€™s Nowt tā€™ eat :wink:

Get nests everywhere, in the grass, under the shed(s), in the bloody ceiling once, big bastards too. I need spray, powder and nitroglycerin/napalm to keep the little bleeders at bay here.

I think napalm might bring you more trouble than just a few antsā€¦

Are they black ants or red antsā€¦??? The red ones bite the black ones donā€™t biteā€¦Iā€™ve found food grade diatomaceous earth keeps the unwelcome out of the houseā€¦(dries them up)ā€¦or you could also communicate with them on an energetic levelā€¦set your boundaries and let them know theyā€™re welcome but no crossing your boundariesā€¦witch surprisingly also worksā€¦! Lolā€¦x :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wott, how energetic does one need to be? :thinking:

The big black ones bite too - I do try to communicate with them on a energetic level, I put energy into treading on themšŸ˜‚

Anyway, is ant powder going to be banned?

1 Like

Morning Markā€¦ if you list the ingredients for usā€¦ it might help get the answer :thinking:

I think itā€™s 0.5% permethrin