PetPassport from 1st November 2019

We are travelling over from Leeds to our French house in the Charente for October half term, and out dog, Penny, will be travelling with us (if she is well enough). We will be travelling back on 2nd November, using the Tunnel. Information on websites is still as clear as mud about how likely we are to be allowed to bring our dog back with us! She has a valid Pet Passport, under the existing scheme, but she has been so ill since the summer that we haven’t had the titration tests etc done.
She has a vet appointment this evening and may not be with us for this journey, so this may not be relevant for us.
What are other people doing re travel with pets immediately after Brexit (if it happens!).
Any advice for us?

1 Like

When I spoke to our vet a month or so ago, he said that there would have to be a rabies test before coming into france from the UK- this would be valid for 3 months. He didn’t know what the score would be taking a dog into a 3rd world country like the UK after no-deal brexshit

1 Like

This is the most recent government guidance on travelling to europe with your pet

Unfortunately I had to have Penny put down today, as she was not keeping food down and was very sad. There was no way she could manage the journey to France. I am so glad she had enjoyed so many holidays over there and got so know so many people.

So sorry to hear your news. You must be devastated. Glad you have happy memories of her enjoying France… :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you, Stella.

Hi Kim,
My thoughts are with you…
So sorry for your loss, many of us know how you are feeling :hugs: :hugs:

1 Like

Sorry about your dog. It’s heart breaking but as you said she had a lovely life.

2 Likes

Sorry that your pet’s time had come…it’s so hard. I dread that moment with our current pooch.

2 Likes

Thank you, Tracey. It is very hard at the moment. We leave for France on Wednesday and it is the first time for years that we have travelled without her, or been anywhere without her - we couldn’t leave her in kennels, because she couldn’t cope with other dogs.

2 Likes

Our 2 boys are both 10 with one coming up 11 next month. We have had dogs all our married life and they are fantastic companions.
We know that we will outlive them with the exception of the last one and thinking of thier time to come is hard let alone going through it.
We love them dearly during their lives and they repay that love unreservedly to us in bucket loads. There sole aim in life is to be happy and to please, it’s a pity we are not the same.

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. My thoughts are with you.

1 Like

Thank you.

So sorry for your loss, such a hard time even though you have lots of happy memories. It’ll be two years in February since we lost our gorgeous boy who moved here with us, We rescued our current heap of craziness on 23rd December last year and he’ll be traveling to England with us for the first time in December to visit my daughter so was just thinking of getting him a passport.
Having read this we now need to get it done pronto to make sure he can travel there and back!

1 Like

(((((( Huge Hugs Kim ))))))

You must be feeling really sad and have a ‘penny shaped hole in your heart’ right now…

There’s a saying on dog forums that I visit that it’s better a week too early than a day too late and that put to sleep is the ultimate kindness we can give to our weary furry friends…

Be kind to yourself…don’t expect the sadness to be gone in a day or two…there will be lots to remind you of how much you miss her but eventually there will be lots to remind you of how much she brought to your life…

There’s something about this poem that I love…

“Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.”

Thinking of you…:heart:

7 Likes

Thank you, Helen.

1 Like

You always have the right words Helen.

So sorry for your sad loss @KimW.

1 Like

We are here in the Charente Maritime and we also live in Leeds.

Thank you, Mandy. I think our dogs and cats will have to have a titration test 3 months after the rabies jab. My son is having to do this for his 4 dogs and 4 cats before they emigrate to New Zealand. One of his dogs has skin allergies and had to come off his medication for ages. His skin was terrible until he had been back on his meds for a couple of months. My poor Penny was too ill to put through this process.

We are readjusting, but it is hard.

3 Likes

I hope all goes well for your other pets. How many do you have? Would be lovely to hear about them all and maybe see some pictures. If you feel up to it then a picture of Penny would be lovely too.

When I was growing up I had a dog called Penny too! She was a border collie and we were best friends. She lived to be 16 and I was 21. It was so hard when we lost her but I have some lovely memories of her.

2 Likes