Phone use illegal in cars even when car is stopped

But manufacturers will only do that if compelled to by law.
There are options. The technology is there to enable you to send texts handsfree, by voice recognition. In the early years the results were pretty hilarious, I imagine they’ve come on in leaps and bounds since then but I no longer move in those circles so I haven’t seen a voice recognition text in ages :wink:
It’s a sad world where the only way to make people act like responsible citizens is to not give them options but simply impose draconian legislation.

Chris, thank you for the information. I had not seen this article.

Yes you are absolutely right. In this case though I’m all for the draconian legislation.

Although the person involved in this case was using his mobile phone I don’t think it’s really about that. It’s about parking your car in a hazardous place in order to do something frivolous such as use the phone, have a drink, take a pee etc.

If you have broken down then that’s a different matter of course.

Getting out of the car to use your phone doesn’t make it any safer if you have stopped your car in a hazardous place.

As for using a phone at the wheel I have had similar experiences to others on here. People speeding up and then slowing down because they aren’t concentrating, people weaving all over the road. I’ve even seen someone on the phone and smoking at the same time as well as a bus driver on the phone. The police need to be much more visible to deter people.

Thats the problem isn’t it. There will never be enough police, and people themselves are unable to see how dangerous their actions are.

1 Like

In UK or France?

The new law about using mobile phones when driving in France is great. Anyone caught using a mobile phone may have their licence confiscated there and then stopping them from driving on from that point. They will be treated in the same wa6bas drunk drivers. Perhaps a bit of inconvenience will start to get the message across better than fines ever did.

Just to add a couple of my findings/experiences to this;

a) If I text my wife whilst she’s driving, her phone sends an automatic response along the lines of ‘sorry I am driving, and will reply when I reach my destination’ :slight_smile:
b) I personally find it easy to talk and listen to a mobile phone via handsfree kit. To me it is as easy to do as sing-along to the radio. Possibly even easier than talking to a passenger where there’s a temptation to turn your head away from the road to make eye contact so I am personally OK with the use of handsfree phones for talking, BUT,
c) making a call on our handsfree kit is a pig of a job to find the number and can only be performed when stationary so I am against the use of anything that takes your hand off the wheels or looking to a central console. I am OK with clicking the ‘accept incoming call/phone picture’ on the steering wheel with my thumb. Maybe, voice activated phones & handsfree kits should be the only allowable phones??

1 Like