PM candidates

It’ll be around 9pc September when that is calculated apparently. The massive fuel price hike is not till October. After that 13-17% depending who you believe. Saw 9.7% or so predicted today for overall calendar year 2023.

I am wondering if the Tories will enact any useful legislation like people not being allowed to be evicted winter November to March.

It won’t be Tim. It’s based on the rate in September, which is used for the increase the following April, that then holds for another year. So in the end out of control inflation increases that September misses, like fuel hike starting October, may have to be borne for 18 months.

Due to fuel price increases not coming in till October, there will be nothing to help this as Sepember’s rate is used.

Exactly Tim. And that’s exactly why inflation has been running for some time now at 6% then 9% and now rapidly increasing… Luckily, pensioners were kept down at 3.1% and that amount will hold through the likely 13-17% inflation (and much more on fuel costs) through the winter till next April.

[quote=“KarenLot, post:363, topic:40109, full:true”]
Luckily, pensioners were kept down at 3.1% and that amount will hold through the likely 13-17% inflation (and much more on fuel costs) through the winter till next April.

I am missing something? Pensioners only deserve 3.1% even though inflation is significantly more. Really!

The 1st of September is the official start of Autumn. :wink:

Well Buzzp it was Tim17’s wish and I wanted to tell him it is already in place.

The inflation rate at the end of September on which the ‘triple lock’ calculation is usually based will likely be well over 10%, whilst Truss has said she’ll honour the increase is that the right thing to do for country as a whole?

Yes, and I am not at state pension age.

1 Like

Yes, last year’s figure was a blip due to restart after the pandemic but this year it is real inflation. People of working age have options to increase their income which a lot of pensioners don’t have.

2 Likes

And if public sector workers ask for a similar sized pay rise should the government just pay up?

Yes

They won’t though.

1 Like

Just watched the Sky PM debate with Kay Burley. Liz Truzz was embarrassing, even the all Tory audience voted roughly 4 to 1 against her. Rishi Sunak seemed credible to some degree. So how is she favourite to run this country?

Yes, not a great performance from her though Rishi wasn’t exactly convincing either.
I wonder if either would last the course until the next GE given the state of the country nowadays.

much of public sector wages has been better than private sector equivalents for a very long time now. And as well, defined benefit type pension achemes, which are a huge mortgage on the taxpayer, are still too widespread in the public sector. The private sector has shut all but 10% of theirs down over the past 25 years because the private sector can’t afford the guarantees and inflation protection these schemes offer.

Once public sector pensions are no longer defined benefit and no longer index linked so that taxpayers are not saddled with paying public sector pensions that are better than they and their employers can buy for themselves, then a rebenchmarking of public sector salaries would be fair.

But until then the fact that the public sector still has defined benefit pensions private industry can’t afford, but must pay for is the elephant in the room.

Don’t worry Graham, I do know and it won’t work. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

No turkeys in Westminster will be voting for that Christmas anytime soon :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

ERG, nuff said.

2 Likes

Perhaps you’d like to explain why John, if I’m living and working in the UK before I retire why would France be my ‘last competent state’?

The public/private pay gap has narrowed considerably over the last ten years thanks to consistently large pay increases in the private sector -

Actually the answer is a bit more complex - the government should do all it can to dampen inflation so that there is less pressure for large pay rises.

It could drop fuel revenues, not allow the energy price cap to rise this December, or even reverse the previous rise - that would need a cap on wholesale prices though otherwise it would squeeze the retail energy companies and we’re all paying for the large number of corporate failure in tat sector already.

It could lower VAT, it widely trumped that it would have more power over VAT if we left the EU but has been strangely quiet about making use of this potentially genuine Brexit benefit

It could also put back the £20 to UC as it is the least well off in society that is worst hit.

Lots of stuff they could do.

But they won’t.

2 Likes