PM candidates

I bet they didn’t have to try too hard.

2 Likes

Unfotunately there is a significant ammunt of the uk population who take the stance " you decided to leave the UK and live in a foreign country so why should we care" often amongst the “gammons”

Don’t you just love George Monbiot? Here, again, instead of thinking entirely inside the Westminster and UK media bubble he puts the PM candidates in a more telling international and environmental context…

I now see the last Britannia Unchained writer - Skidmore - has defected from Sunak to Truss.
My, how these politicians squirm to get into the next cabinet… and how for folks in the UK the last shreds of any hope are disappearing…

It’s all so predictable, isn’t it?

So depressing to read as it is true :scream: they are appalling people.

1 Like

Indeed - but it goes deeper than personalities, as Monbiot says:

It’s not just that this shell of a government, and those who seek to take it over, have no answers.
It’s that their ideology forbids answers.

Yes GB is right, completely right. When I said appalling people that’s really what I meant, more than individual personality.

1 Like

What a mucking fuddle…

Any chance you can summarise what he says? I just can’t stand his voice. :confused:

basically de Pfeffle is going to do nothing about the energy crisis because he says he’s leaving but there’s nothing to stop him meeting with his likely successors (Truss and Sunak) to agree a policy before the succession takes place. Truss reckons she will hit the ground (?) and implement tax cuts on day one but hasn’t got a plan (go figure). The Lib/Dems are proposing a plan ahead of Labour who are still prevaricating but basically the country is shagged. This all to do with the (late) announcement by Sunak when he was chancellor to impose a windfall tax supposed to bring in billions to help but in the small print included tax breaks to the energy companies which mitigated (by about a third) the amount that would actually be collected from them.
The time runs out on the application of the “windfall” before parliament resumes and the bills are set to rise again for consumers.
I think I have covered it…

1 Like

Thanks Graham, just glad we’re not there now.

1 Like

Are we indeed moving towards ‘there is no truth and the biggest liar wins?

The Undeclared War on All4 is both entertaining and topical

2 Likes

absolutely… it doesn’t take long to see the current comparisons :wink:

[quote=“graham, post:453, topic:40109”]
absolutely… it doesn’t take long to see the current comparisons
[/quo

But the ending, for a piece of fictional TV is very disappointing don’t you think. Perhaps if the GCHQ staff were more believable rather than a bunch of moronic individuals portrayed in this series we might have had a more exciting denouement rather than our Russian hero getting caught and presumably killed. :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

not a all… the production team obviously leaving the door open for a continuation sometime in the future perhaps.
It’s an often used ploy… just think of Line of Duty and how each was left for the next series…
never say never :wink:

An excellent production. :nesting_dolls::nesting_dolls::nesting_dolls:

Seems to me that the invasion of Ukraine has in reality shown us that Russia is not quite as competent as portrayed in The Undeclared War.

And thankfully, the NCSC arm of GCHQ is undoubtedly constantly hard at work protecting the UK on a daily basis, by stealth and in anonymity.

One take away is the scene with trolls infiltrating and influencing open mass media sites. The manipulation of social thinking is sadly no fiction and we should all take what we read online with a large spoonful of …. :salt:

Trouble is, do we really want incompetents in charge of hundreds of nuclear warheads?

Nooooo!

But, they’re out of Pandora’s box now and proliferated across the globe in even riskier locales. The favoured tool for autocrats. Even that buffoon in North Korea is busy as hell making some and he has no qualms about putting his own people at risk.

The pre-eminent danger, as I see it, is the ever increasing risk of accident in the hands of incompetents, rather than intentional use. Humans can err, and everything plugged in is reachable by someone with enough effort. :exploding_head:

If I think too much about these things I get very sad

3 Likes

Looks like even the Tories don’t like either option…

Asked who they would prefer in No 10 – Johnson or Truss – 63% of Conservative members said they would prefer to keep Johnson while only 22% would rather have Truss. When the offer is Johnson staying on, versus Sunak taking over, 68% say Johnson and just 19% Sunak.