PM out of hospital

Yes the incongruity of that occurred to me as well.
Will it change his opinion, not b likely!

I (nearly) share your cynicism.

I have little doubt that Johnson was ill - just not as ill as the average punter that gets into hospital and certainly not as ill as the average punter that gets taken to ITU. It sounds like you have to be at deathā€™s door to get past the gatekeepers at 111 - lots of worrying reports about people really struggling at home not getting callbacks and some of them dying.

About the only thing that rings true is holding off on ventilation when on ICU - there is good evidence coming through that early ventilation actually causes problems and contributes to mortality so I think there is a shift towards waiting to see of patients improve with other measure.

But I canā€™t find it in myself to fawn over Johnsonā€™s recovery - heā€™ll praise the NHS workers this week, but it wonā€™t stop Patel deporting them all when this is over.

2 Likes

I wish him a speedy recovery but if he hadnā€™t made it, I would not grieve very long at all. I think of all the misery the man has brought to those wishing to make a new life in their adopted country. The worst is it would appear to be nothing to do with ideology and very much to do with personal gain.

6 Likes

Well, just as bad is the mantra "stay at home - protect the NHS - Save Lives.
Pity he canā€™t even follow his own Govtā€™s guidelines. Itā€™s ok for him to go to his country grace and favour pile but others have to stay at home. Perhaps thatā€™s why a British Govt minister last week wasnā€™t chastened when it was found he visited his holiday home :thinking:
Double standards or what?

2 Likes

It was not his holiday home. It was his main residence and he was returning from Ministerial work in London.
Whilst I am not in favour of this government, I am even less in favour of false news.

1 Like

So, now his pregnant partner joins him at Chequers - explain that one away @Jane_Williamson

oh ffs re-read what she wrote, Carol, I think the ā€œNothing personal against himā€ is quite clear, the comment was political not personal! :wink:

5 Likes

Very simply compare and contrast the UK govt and media handling of the crisis with that of Ireland, both were at the same point once. The Irish gained about two weeks in taking it much more seriously from the beginning. They now have about half the deaths per capita but even that difference is understated as they test more and use more inclusive definition for covid related deaths.

Perhaps slightly easier than online grocery order might be prepared meals at the moment?. My mum used to use Wiltshire Farm Foods, and liked them. They are set up for the elderly, and give priority to the covid-vulnerable.

And they do veggie, and gluten free and all sorts of other options. Others also recommend ParselyBox.

Also I read yesterday that in many areas their are volunteers desperate for something to do. If the NHS army wonā€™t help them, then try other local groups.

Mind you itā€™s nuts that they havenā€™t had ā€œtheā€ letter . Have they/you contacted GP to get them put on list of the vulnerable? As docs can add people in.

Have you also tried registering them, as with their DoB might not even need the letter . Here

register yourself for support on the gov.uk website](COVID-19: guidance for people whose immune system means they are at higher risk - GOV.UK) if you need extra help and support.

1 Like

Rhetorical q I know but they lap it up because all they get is brave boris fat jolly spaffing baby bounce fight them on the beaches tousled hair and dontcha just love a toff.
Theyā€™ll thank him for achieving the worst coronavirus mortality rate in Europe, because didnā€™t he nearly take one on the chin for the team? Just like theyā€™ll thank him for running the country down to the bone because sticking it to Europe and we won two world wars. Just a taste of how bad it can get when you have a PM who believes in nothing, surrounded by so-called disruptive thinkers, weirdos and bedpan lickers.

Btw, what are the odds he doesnā€™t reappear until the curve starts flattening?

I liked TBT. So sad.

4 Likes

The ā€˜survivoursā€™ that come out of ICU still need a lot of care, yet BJ popped to No10 posted a video and off to chequers :thinking::thinking:
Must be time for DC to come slithering out :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

That just shows what a real trooper he is - OR - that something doesnā€™t quite add up.

4 Likes

ffs - donā€™t mention the war! :bomb:

And one World Cup doo dah, doo dah !

Thanks for the link re Wiltshire foods. I will pass on the advice re the doctor adding them but my dad had tried and failed (heā€™s a still practicing solicitor so knows his rights!) but I will suggest the GP line. Thanks!

and a questionable cricket trophy :cricket_bat_and_ball:

Thanks for the Tesco advice Helen - I will get my brother to try to do one for them - my dad is now used to finding what he wants in Waitrose as itā€™s their nearest shop in surbiton but I suspect the Tesco website might defeat him. He has also discovered Waitrose rapid - you pay an extra 5 quid and someone delivers your shopping the same day - he was very happy when he found that last week - and told me he now ā€œhad cake and wineā€ - priorities eh?!!!

1 Like

bless. Pomerol (rumpoleā€™s legal favourite)?

1 Like

That is spitting distance from where we are.

1 Like

what a waste of good wine :wine_glass: :zipper_mouth_face: