Porridge - import ok?

If you happen to be in Sainsburys you can get big bags of either crushed oats or smaller cut ones. I bring back several bags at a time.
For porridge leave the oats soaking in milk in the fridge overnight then cook. Very smooth. And add fresh blueberries when serving. Yummmmm

1 Like

Just been in our tiny little village shop an hour ago (not our village, the nearest one) and they have Quaker Oats. Been trying to get sunflower and rapeseed oil for a few weeks and the supermarkets in Carcassonne are permanently out. The little village shop had a choice of four different sunflower and rapeseed oils with the shelf quite well stocked (as well as a shop the size of my bedroom can be :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). Also, what’s happened to Dijon mustard in a jar ? Can’t seem to get that now here.

Sounds like your village shop knows what the locals like. Having said that, oils are possibly going to be difficult to get (in a particular brand for example)… there’s talk, but isn’t there always… :wink:
We tend to use olive oil and always have a spare bottle in the cellar (along with the wine).
Re mustards… no idea.
(we place our Orders and the mobile shop lady does all the hard work of tracking things down.)

Yes, we use Olive oil as well, but it’s no good for high temperature cooking really. It has quite a low smoke point and can break down at quite low temperatures.

Ah… I reckon my cooking is different from yours… :wink:

1 Like

I do confess that we have a small deep fat fryer :open_mouth:. It’s only used for home made bahjis and pakoras, and for that we use sunflower oil. For high temperature cooking of stir fries and currys, we use rapeseed oil. Everything else is olive oil.

1 Like

What is this heresy?? :scream:

3 Likes

Must confess, Dad made our breakfast and he always left the porridge soaking overnight in the double boiler. (I’m presuming milk or would it have been water…)

Smashing up good oats to make bad ones! The fibre in the oats is the good stuff, mechanically smashing it means the mush will pass through without the gut benefits, same as smoothies.
Oats do raise blood sugar for a while but offset by the fibre is apparently ok (ref Zoe gut project)

@Stella
It’s not the soaking (or indeed cooking) overnight that is the problem, it’s the effete southern use of milk :joy:

2 Likes

Looking for alternative, suggestions?

You can get oat bran en vrac and use it as you would oatmeal. I love it.

I meant in place of milk? :wink:
I have oat fibre from keto days but its different to other oat fibres so a cup of that instead of what oat fibre they used in the recipe and you cant swallow it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh sorry, water obviously, I mean that’s what it is for, making porridge. And tea.
What is this different oat fibre? What do they do to it? Why isn’t it swallowable? The oat bran I get makes wonderful muffins with banana and dates (so no packet sugar) and porridge and Staffordshire oatcakes (and flapjack but I don’t dare tell you about it because it contains the hated).

It is in small quantities but was a reference to using a cup measure. Its a bit like cellulose fibre just cannot swallow it.

1 Like

That is one I have yet to crack, that said havent tried in a while. Oats, dates, prunes nuts and dark chocolate got close

1 Like

Truth to tell, I don’t know what it soaked in. We were always starving at breakfast and eat anything we could get our hands (and spoons) on…

1 Like

Things like milk alternatives, almond, soy etc are mostly water and calcium. One lady claimed only 4 almonds are used in a 1litre of almond milk, the rest is chalky water.

You can make soya or almond etc ‘milk’ yourself easily, that way you know exactly what is in it, and then do something smartalecky with the okara,
Edited because I thought you might find this interesting, see below

What exactly are pinhead oats?