Post Brexit - Dog Passports - Advice

Does anybody have any experience of post Brexit dog passports, we currently make upwardly 6 trips to France each year with our two German Shepherds but we’re looking nervously towards our first post Brexit trip with them in August, as many will know the UK paper work is horrendous, inconvenient, our vet actually doesn’t want to do this and then there’s the cost.
Our plan is to try and get French passports for them during this trip at our local vet in France.
Can anyone share any advice, is this the right way to go?

Hi we have travelled to France post brexit with our dog. Our vet is ok to do the paperwork. All 14 pages of it at a cost of £120. This is what it will cost for each and any separate visit of up to two months.

They did want to see her old pet passport at the border and at our french vets when we were there for the tapeworm treatment prior to our return.

We think getting a french passport for her is the way to go, but it is our understanding that all vaccinations including rabies need to be given in France by french vet not in UK . For us this means we can/will not do this before her rabies booster is due autumn 2022 but will take care then to coincide it with her normal vaccination boosters and have them done in France.

We have sounded out our French vet who is in agreement with this strategy.

Hi Sarah, our UK vet is looking at £150 per dog, so £300 a trip for us, that’s one good reason to get a French passport ASAP.
Seems to be a few conflicting opinions when reading up on the topic, but that’s to be expected I guess.
Boosters don’t go in the passport according to our French vet but Rabies does, some vets are taking info from the old passport.
So yes we will try for French passports during our August trip.

1 Like

We have already done this for our dog, see below.
Rabies vaccination and titer test done and new passport.

1 Like

I did go ahead and got French (EU) passports for my dogs. My vet was happy with their UK rabies vaccinations and with their microchips, also done in UK. The only problem that I encountered was on returning to the UK through the tunnel, was the vet had used the option ‘read’ on the passport for chip read/implanted date. Border control insist that the chip must be done before the rabies vac. Obviously because she had put the date read when she issued the new passports, Border control would not accept it. Needless to say, a rather heated exchange ensued, This included them suggesting that I drive 5 hours back to my house to get their old UK passports (oh for 20/20 hindsight!)
In the end, they let me through with a non-compliance certificate.
I emailed my French vet and explained the situation, she re did them, posted them to UK in time for my return journey. She’s an absolute star!

1 Like

Interesting story, just goes to show, you can’t take anything for granted.
For one of our dogs this will be his first trip and therefore he hasn’t got a old UK passport.
Fingers crossed everything runs smoothly for us.

Silly question but do dog passports need photos?

You could include photos in the UK passport but they weren’t compulsory, not sure about a French (Euro) passport though.

They are not compulsory on either passport.

Very interesting info. Good luck with it.