Pound still crashing

and every good reason to keep away from that god awful little island off the coast of Europe. :roll_eyes:

Ouch. Rates are fickle things. I feel your pain.

:upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face: Can I take it you are in UK rather than France, Pete ???:thinking:

Nice little bounce today credited to the comment by Angela Merkel to BJ yesterday…

yes, I didn’t really understand how a comment yesterday would cause an increase in value today at about 14:00?

I am in France at present… usually spend my time between France the UK and world travel… we have friends who have lived and worked here in France for 35 years and although they have been granted citizenship their son who suffers from various mental health issues and is unable to work has had it refused. They are therefore now moving back to the UK so he can have healthcare after BREXIT. The cost to the NHS of BREXIT will be immense already doctors and nursing staff are leaving and the sick and the old are returning.

Peter - are you talking Citizenship as in they now have French Nationality as well as British Nationality ??

In which case, I really cannot understand why their son would have had his application refused. Very odd and very sad. I would have thought he had a good case to make an Appeal.

I think it may be overstating to say that the sick and the old are returning to UK… although, fair point, the UK should prepare for just such a scenario if they stop the S1 Health Cover etc for Brits living abroad.

Appalling testimony re Brexit and the state of mental health provision, both health and social care, in both countries.

Our son who has just passed his 40th birthday has been mentally ill since his late teens and has never been able to get a job. The State believes he should “pull himself together”, "get a grip’ and has stopped all his benefits that helped to make his life tolerable, protected his dignity and self-respect, and gave us a little confidence that when we die he won’t end up on the streets, homeless, and reduced to foraging wheelie bins for food.

He/we his family have never had any significant help in helping to rehabilitate him, or realise his potential.

I curse the Government that has starved the mental health services of funds, reduced the number of mental health nurses by 40%, turned the running of mental health units to the private sector who run the service on closed-prison lines and on the cheap.

I don’t think the French approach to ‘mental health issues" is much different (a term devised to side-line mental illness away from health and into “sanitation” or "waste disposal’ or “criminology”.

Rant over (or put on temporary hold, :sob::joy:)!

1 Like

Certainly, in our commune, we have perhaps more than our fair share of “mental health issues”. Something I knew little about in UK, despite having a seriously mentally-disturbed Mother. :thinking:

I have seen, at first hand, how things are tackled here in my sector of France - with care and compassion, as well as strong support both for the individual concerned and the family… :hugs:

I am not sure this would be available in UK and perhaps is the result of a community which has a strong personal history.

3 Likes

Don’t we all have one of those? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Joking aside… I totally agree with Stella

Me too. My OH wanted to be treated at home (for cancer) so for 3 years apart from a major operation and couple of infections which resulted in hospital stays. This was achieved.
I was able to give up work to care for him at home along with twice daily visits from a nurse to attach feeding tubes and give medication.
The care and support received was outstanding. I don’t know if this would have been possible in the UK.
All I know is that I was overwhelmed by the understanding and aid given at such a difficult time.
Toto was listened too and able to leave this world in the way he wanted, his friends and family with him right up to the end.
The French healthcare system is second to none (imo) and I will forever be in their debt. :purple_heart:

3 Likes

I belong to a dementia group here and family carers tell a different story. True the professionals are compassionate and dedicated, but they are grossly understaffed and unable to meet all save the most basic needs of clients and their families, especially those family members who have to combine work with 24-hour home care for a vulnerable and highly dependent adult.

There is only so much neighbourly support men who are caring alone for a demented mother and have to go to work can draw on.

I appreciate the French healthcare system in the same way people admire the NHS but one can’t be blind to the growing crisis of funding and a rapidly dwindling workforce. Nurses and carers are often on the streets protesting and threatening grève here in this département, not à sign of everything being rosy.

We have a neighbour who works in 2 care homes near us. She doesn’t paint a pretty picture of the care available, doesn’t want to ever have to live in one and heartily recommends not getting old.
Having had some experience of the care available in the UK, perhaps it’s not so different?
I’m sure others have way better experiences than mine though.

2 Likes

I think, just as in the UK each care home is different dependant on many factors especially the management and how it is funded.

I spent 2 weeks en stage at our local EHPAD where there is an Alzheimer section where I helped feed those that needed help and provide animation assistance such as ballgames for coordination and mobility and just general company for some, flicking through magazines and commenting and listening to what they had to say.

My experience was very positive and I loved my time there.

But that is not to say just as Peter and Chris have mentioned that working conditions and funding in many sectors of the health (mental and physical) and care industry are lacking.

1 Like

Around here, is all I can talk about with certainty. There are 2 OF Homes and each is run by its own “owner”. (or franchise or whatever).

They differ in some ways and one is definitely preferred to the other at the moment.

But, when “ownership” changes, preferences can change too as working conditions for staff and living conditions for “patients” seem to be overhauled at such times.

Whatever, there is a genuine move afoot to keep folk in their own homes (with support) and this is certainly the best way forward for many.

Sadly, those with Dementia/Alzheimer etc are on the rise and these folk make up most of the numbers in the OF Homes.

OH and I plan to stay here, at home, as long as humanly possible… :hugs:

Incidentally, I used to do a weekly visit to one OFH - visiting such folk who never/rarely had visitors.

I would heartily urge anyone with some spare time - to consider volunteering for something like this. It doesn’t take much, just a willingness to listen in the main - and to chat about current happenings (whatever), admiring photos and simply being friendly. (the English accented French doesn’t matter a fig in my experience)

The pleasure such a visit gives is well worth the effort one makes.

Seriously - give it a thought - please.

3 Likes

Absoulutely…:hugs:

When the Matron/Directrice at the EHPAD realised I was English I was immediately sent to see Alan, an elderly Englishman who was more isolated than some as he didn’t speak french and had no family in France donc no visitors. :frowning_face:
Whilst working there I was given permission - to pop in and see him from time to time and help translate as there had been some financial issues.
When my work experience finished my mum and dad who were closer to his age, continued visiting him, he adored playing scrabble with them and looked forward to their visits.
As Stella says if you are able to spare some time please think about it, this truly can make a world of difference to someone’s well being and happiness.

I agree with you wholeheartedly having had a similar experience to you with my own late husband who had COPD and died just last October. Our MT and the twice daily nurses gave the most exceptional care and he could not possibly have remained at home to die without them.

I will remember them and be grateful all my life.

5 Likes

I also have a friend who worked in several elderly care homes and it sounds horrendous. Not enough staff and, as a result, insufficient attention given to the residents. The stories she told means I never want to be in one and will do what’s necessary to avoid it.

2 Likes

Hi Mandy,
If I could, I would double / treble like you :heart::heart::heart:
So glad you understand and that you and your husband also received the same excellent level of compassion, support and care that was given to us here in France. :hugs:

1 Like

My late wife’s favorite programme. It was a wonderful opportunity for me to slip out for a swift half of an evening :slight_smile:

1 Like