Pound still crashing

I’ve been using TransferWise for Euro to Aussie dollars and Euro to Sterling over the last few weeks. A slick and cost effective solution IMO. One of my smaller transactions, 1500 euro from a debit card to my UK account, took 9 seconds! Blows SEPA, etc out of the water.

My advice would be to transfer half of it now Geof and wait and see.

1 Like

It isn’t actually crashing, just continuing to sink steadily!
Since we moved here more than 15 years ago, Sterling has lost a third of its value against the “failed currency” known as the Euro.
But it has been going on a lot longer than that. 65 years ago, when the UK was still recovering from WW2,
I was stopped by an American who had been looking in the window of a posh jeweller’s shop. “Pardon me, what is a Guinea?” he wanted to know. “It’s one Pound and one Shilling, about three Dollars in your money.” I replied.
Today, if you had a Guinea, it would get you $1.28.
Never mind, that wise Mr Johnson assures us that the UK has a strong and stable economy…

There was a small dip following Johnson’s stunt but I think no-deal Brexit is mostly priced in at present - at least as far as it can be ahead of the event, if we actually go through with it I would not be surprised at further downward movements.

About turn

Interesting - presumably the markets think the bill will go through and block no-deal, at least for now.

[Source CaxtonFX]
Buggeration… I was going to change £1k earlier in the week when it was 1.12nn (with Revolut) but thought I would hang on to see if it got better - it didn’t :cry:

Why don’t you put in a buy request if the exchange rate reaches an amount you are happy with?

The reference you linked to was 29th May… a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then (and a lot of exchange rates too).

I doubt it will get back to 1.40 any time soon :wink:

I seem to recall a time when it was 1.50 to the £ … and we felt like millionaires… :hugs:

ah well… life is great so long as we can eat and sleep with a roof over our heads… eh… :hugs:

1 Like

It’s a train wreck, parity with the € can’t be far off

It might…

£1.40 to the € that is :frowning:

1 Like

My so-called best friends at church in South Wales , a newly appointed British Citizen, an American, at the time voted Brexshit knowing well I shared my time enjoying church community life in South Wales and driving down to spend time with my family in Charente. So-called friend no doubt swayed by local blinkered press, didn’t like what she read up on the European Commission on the 100% reliable information on the internet. The fact that it will affect me, paying more charges to leave the UK , cross the Channel and inhibit my freedom to visit my family, which doesn’t affect her visiting her family in Oregan, she isn’t interested in visiting Europe, wasn’t considered. Obviously my view didn’t count as she must be right.
Not only that, but her town received EU grant to improve the dump. She decided it was a waste of money replacing old crumbling concrete bollards with those attractive black ball-type ones in front of the pub, as “what the town needs is jobs”. They were replaced again by metal bollards. I suppose it created a job for someone. I think if a town looks more attractive it will encourage people to want to live there…consequently improving job prospects and economy …?

Sorry if this story is in the wrong category, I started off wondering if the exchange rate is normally bad in summer holiday season or is it due to Brexit and the virus ? Should I bite the bullet and exchange now before it gets far worse ? Then I went off on a tangent…