Prescription glasses in France from 10 euros - ready in ten minutes!

The last few months have been expensive ones in our household. James, myself and the middle daughter have all needed glasses. This was a first for all of us so we toddled off to the local opticians, prescriptions in hand and nearly fell over when we saw the prices.

As a trip back to the UK and Specsavers (or even the pound shop) wasn’t on the cards, we eventually settled on Leclerc as they were slightly cheaper, offered a second pair for one euro extra and gave cash back on my loyalty card. My bog standard reading glasses cost 190€, James’s were 246€ and Tilly’s were an eye watering 296€. Ouch! Even with a generous mutuelle which refunded 100€ per person, we were still left with a massive bill. Double ouch.

Tilly needs to wear hers all the time and it quickly became apparent that she really needed a pair of prescription sunglasses. I was fully prepared to not eat for the next month when James came across a chain of stores called Lunettes Pour Tous. They have branches in Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Bordeaux, Lille and Toulouse and if you need glasses and can get to one of the stores, I cannot recommend them highly enough.

You simply turn up (no appointment required) and are given a free eye test. If you have a recent prescription they can also work from that or your existing glasses. There’s a choice of over 400 frames which start from an incredible 10€ and the most expensive models are 50€. All types of lenses are available with all the usual options, anti-glare, anti-scratch, blue light etc. They will give you a ‘Feuille des soins’ for a refund by the Sécu and your mutuelle and this is the really good bit, your glasses will be ready in ten minutes!

The store was clean, shiny and modern with state of the art equipment, the staff were courteous and helpful, service was excellent (they suggest you go and have coffee whilst your glasses are being made and send you a text to confirm when they are ready). Unlike Leclerc, they made sure James’s glasses actually fitted and if you buy a second pair at the same time, offer 20% off.

This time round we paid 90€ for a pair of progressive glasses for James (he had unfortunately sat on the previous pair!) - this included the most expensive frames in the shop and 40€ for prescription sunglasses for Tilly (20€ for the frames and 10€ per lens). So, if you need glasses, you now know where to go!

9 Likes

I posted a link in July … “Glasses at Rock Bottom Prices” which I had read in Sud Ouest…

Glad to get some feed back… :grin:

5 Likes

That was probably where James saw it -so thank you!! Xx

Brilliant, thanks! I’ve used Specs4Less in UK, postal service – might not have remembered the name correctly – which you’ve recommended in the past and they were excellent, but not this cheap!

A question, my last prescription done here was way too strong; I subsequently read that UK opticians always back off the action prescription a little to give your eye muscles a chance to work – did you find your new glasses were a bit stronger than you were used to?
I had headaches for a year until I got used to it…

The optician mentioned that, I’m sure they would back off a little on your prescription if you asked, they were incredibly helpful.

Glasses Direct in the UK are superb - Sandy and I have both bought ours online from them. We had our eye tests in Boots.

The problem in France is finding an “eye doctor” - especially in the boonies.

If you live in a large-town it is far easier. Last time I asked for a prescription out in the boonies where I live, it took a month and a half of waiting-time to finally get it done.

Moreover, after a certain age, your eyes don’t change much. The old prescription, if it works for you, is good enough. I have even sent a pair of glasses over the internet - instead of seeing a doctor for a new prescription - and the new pair work just fine (like the previous pair).

Of course, that might not have the same result for everyone …

@Cat, where please are the frames and also the lenses manufactured?
Thanks,
Anna

Sorry no idea!

Bah! Just paid €800. And my Mutuelle is goingto reimburse me toi the tune of …€20!!!

@Shirley_Mitchell

Presumably you only took out minimal cover for glasses then… :wink:

Have a chat with @fabien @Shirley_Mitchell

http://www.survivefrance.com/t/top-up-health-insurance-mutuelle-in-france/170

Hi Shirley, 20€ would be for a cover 100% or ‘TM’ (Ticket modérateur) which is close to 0€ indeed… Usually you have a grid in your policy displaying the refunds you’d get in regard to the correction rate needed. If less than 50€ that means there were no grid at all in your policy probably so you’re in the minimum range which is 100% of the social security scale.

To be noted, if you are unhappy with your current policy you have up to the 31st of October to change it (as in most cases the auto renewal date is the 1st of January). Happy to have a look if you’d like :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you Catherine and James grateful for this information

2 Likes

I am 3 hours from Toulouse. It’s too far for me so I wondered if it is possible to deal with these people on line?

@Olivia_Caldecott … why don’t you contact them as ask the question… ??? :eyeglasses:

That is good news. Just as an aside for those who may be on low income supplement. If you ask your optician there is always a cheap drawer with frames that are inexpensive and when I got glasses for both my girls they not only liked the cheap frames but also the cost for the lenses was completely reimboursed. If I recall the whole experience cost 60 euros for 2 pairs. You do have to have the costs seen by your mutuelle before they will grant permision for the glasses to be made, but it only took a week for us.

2 Likes

General Optique in Perigeuex are brilliant. I have tried most opticians and they are definitely the cheapest. If you can go on line Spex4less U.K. offer an on line service at a fraction of French opticians costs. I have also tried them and they are very good. They can also make varifocals and if not satisfied there is a no quibble money back guarantee!

1 Like

Hello All,

I expect you already know but glasses that are really made in France are
actually made in the Jura department…brands such as ILike for example
are cheaper. The so named Made in Italy are often just assembled there only
(Chanel, Dior).
It is good to know that you can pay in up to ten installments (you just
need to ask…they might require a cheque as a bond) and this means you can
get something nice.
However, it is true the world over that many opticiens have no scruples
when it comes to getting the corrective lenses right!
There’s the odd very scrupulous opticien I know in the Paris suburbs if
that’s useful for anyone. Just pm me.
Best wishes,
Anna (been wearing specs since I was very small)

1 Like

Many thanks Cat, visiting Paris tomorrow with my SNCF carte senior - will pay for my lunch!

2 Likes