Pro-Brexit, anti-vax - what's the link?

@Geof_Cox …privatise …no, but take the politics out of it by handing it over to a non political body.
How can it ever improve…and whilst it is rightly loved and cherished there is a lot wrong with it which will only be corrected if all politicians are stopped from medalling.
Fix a rolling funding framework and let the medics run it, and
take it off the daily media treadmill.

I would have assumed those on the UK right who want to privatise the NHS, are generally quite well educated and quite wealthy (and probably well-vaccinated!) They’re vocal, but in numerical terms, surely they can’t be too significant. RW MPs were publicly opposed to lock down for libertarian and/or economic reasons, but I doubt even they were against vaccinations. And even if they were , they wouldn’t voice it.

I’d argue that this sector of the right is politically influential, but perhaps not very important in terms of UK total anti-vaxing numbers.

1 Like

Agreed. They don’t want to die either.

1 Like

perhaps it’s the ouija board trying to get through.

1 Like

Check out the series “Conspiracies: The Secret Knowledge” on Radio 4

Personally I don’t know anyone with a uni degree who is pro brexshit or anti vax. And given there is a clear divide between doctors (yes please vaccinate me now) and aide soignants (please don’t put 5G in me), I would suggest that education plays a part.

3 Likes

I don’t entirely disagree, but of the four anti-vaxers I know, one has a PhD in statistics and in previous life was a professional statistician, another has an MSc and a third a degree in electrical engineering. So, they’re more highly educated than many, but I think it’s significant that none have humanities degrees, where one is always required to evaluate the reliability or otherwise of potential source material (I’ve made this point before).

2 Likes

Sadly, two of my neighbours won’t have the vaccine - uni educated, one is an accountant the other an estate agent. They both don’t trust it and say it’s unproven, we have little jokes about it but I just don’t understand as they’re not stupid.

I suspect your neighbours know very little about the rigorous nature of present day vaccine testing (my understanding of at least some of it comes from my sister-in-law and another old friend who oversee vaccine testing for two different companies on two different continents). According to them the vaccines were swiftly developed because they were built on existing models, ie. they weren’t starting from scratch

However, regardless of whether or not your neighbours trust ‘big pharma’, one can reasonably argue with them that the phenomenally expensive law-suits that would ensue in the event of the vaccines having unforeseen side-effectswould surely act as a deterrent to them being released comparatively unproven

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with pro brexit or otherwise. Having spoke to a nurse in the trust I recently retired from its the younger generation who are not vaccinated and anti vax and mistrusting of information.
More younger people voted to remain going by the analysis. Yes there is mistrust. However I believe its more to do with wanting to see which vaccine is better for them and safer.
Sadly that’s why the hospitals have 90% of covid positive ill patients that are young, and sadly now dying.

Interesting new article on the complexity of analysing the French non-vaccinated (not necessarily antivax)

https://tinyurl.com/4unykfwz

Really.

Interesting FTv article about how various protest groups across the political spectrum are finding common ground against so call authoritarian rule
Including interesting comment :

President Emmanuel Macron has gambled that his new law on health passes will go down well.

That may prove a relatively safe wager, given that polls show 60 per cent of the French favour the new rules, and only 17 per cent now say they would refuse a vaccine — markedly down from 44 per cent late last year.

https://www.ft.com/content/8e94ff2e-6bf0-442c-be60-385ffc393f53

Aren’t Pfizer the most sued pharmacological manufacturer this millennium? And then there’s all the stories about how their experimental Meningitis vaccine was used in Africa.

I remain skeptical of Big Pharma in general as they’ve previously been big on making money from managing symptoms of diseases and not so keen on curing them.

2 Likes

…sorry I love big pharma is they produce life saving/restoring drugs. Very often it is a matter of only managing or reducing symptoms…until cures are found.

Mark - your link isn’t working for me.

Geof, I’ve just replaced the link with a shorter one

Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to work either!

The article’s in this morning’s Fr Huff post

I found if I highlighted it and right clicked on it I was offered the option of going to the URL - that worked.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like