Problems exchanging UK driving licence

Sarah, my husband and I applied end of 2017 also. Heard nothing for almost a year! Then (like you) we were asked to pose off your UK plastic licences which we did end of last year I think. (We sent letter recorded delivery this time!) Anyhow, i got a letter asking if I wanted to keep my cat C (small lorries?) if so I needed a medical cert. I didn’t want this so said "no need for Cat C. Husband wasnt asked. (No idea why I had cat C and not him!) Since then, I have just received my French licence. Enfin! But husband is still waiting. I think patience is expected? (But it will arrive … in the end.)

2 Likes

Just out of interest did you send your applications separately at the same time and did you get asked for your U.K. licences at the same time?

Yes,same time for both. But seems my UK licence had an extra category hence the request for a medical from me to keep cat C which I declined. So will manage without Cat C. Assume my husband never had Cat C! (His UK licence was the result of a previous swap. So who knows as he passed his test elsewhere in Europe many moons ago.)

1 Like

How long was it between getting asked about revoking the poids lourds categories and actually getting your licences?

We have just completed that stage and wondering about applying for international permits just in case of no deal and if our french licences don’t come through in time. It says these take seven weeks to get them here, so we would just about have time if that is accurate…

1 Like

I can’t exactly remember how long but a few weeks perhaps? Husband just got his email now so his is taking a bit longer than mine. (He must have been in another/slower pile?!)

Not sure why you are worried. I am sure you will get your French licence whatever happens re Brexit.

Only hassle I can see is if you wanted to hire a car (outside of France) while you only have a piece of paper to show rather than a plastic photo ID licence?

In your position, I wouldn’t bother going to the trouble of getting an international licence. (In fact, is it even possible while you have no plastic licence? How are they issued?)

We have just booked a week away at Brexit time…

Not decided whether to hire a car or not yet, but if no deal then UK licences without the international add-on are no good in Europe and I think the portuguese authorities might sniff at a the copy of an application form to the french authorities that says nothing - we haven’t got the attestation yet.

The international licence is based on UK licence - as until we have exchanged our UK one is still valid. And the application is free so we might as well risk a stamp on it.

Hi Jane

We toured that lovely country and never had a sniff of a problem with the guardians of the Law… no-one asked to see paperwork…

If your car is on French plates, I can’t see why the Portuguese might be interested in what sort of DL you have… … :zipper_mouth_face:

Neither can I.

But a) if we hire a car they may wish to see something and may be aware that UK licences no longer valid without an IDP if it’s no deal Brexit, and b) if we have the misfortune to have an accident I don’t want insurance invalidated because we don’t have the right piece of paper.

So for the cost of a stamp I reckon it’s best to cover all bases…

Fair enough… if you’re hiring, best to be prepared… :grin::grin:

But illegal so may not be of help. A UK IDP is only valid with a UK D/L if you are resident in the UK. Since you’re driving a french registered car it’s fairly obvious you’re not. So your insurance could be invalidated anyway because your IDP isn’t legal.

It will be a french IDP not a UK one . If you are a French resident you can get them here from ANTS, but based on your UK licence.

And if we do hire a car then won’t be on French plates anyway.

Didn’t realise you could get an IDP in France for a UK licence. Interesting. Thanks for that info.

1 Like

Hello,
I am trying to fill in the forms - my UK licence shows I am eligible for Cat B, BE, C1, C1E, D1 and D1E!!! I only need cat B and BE. 2 questions
1- the form asks for the codes and gives space for 3 digits, some categories have several numbers - which should I choose (ie cat D1E has 01,101,119)
2 - should I just send a letter to ANTS with my application ststing that I only wish to use Cat B and BE?
Thank you in anticipation for any help

I put all my categories on the form. The wrote back (after about a year) to say my licence exchange was being processed and what cats they were willing to give me with a medical cert or without. I replied to say i would accept the “without med cert” cats which worked fine. So just do that? They will let you know what cats you can have minus doing a medical. Sure that will be enough for you?! Easier than trying to explain in advance?

Thank you Fingers crossed!

If you look on some of the other threads about driving licences you will see that Nantes has suspended licence exchange for the time being. So if none of the exceptions apply to you, you might as well hang on and save your self a stamp as most possible the application will be sent back.

See here

A UK friend sent me a message to say that her friend in France (for 28 years now) has just had her request “refused”
She’s now concerned that she’s been driving illegally for all that time; & that she may now be denied a licence…

Possible or another scare story ?

Very possibly, or some misinterpretation somewhere of the process so the application was rejected (for example because it didn’t conform to requirements), rather than being refused. Subtle, but important difference.

Reminds me of the urban myths of people having got drunk and had kidneys stolen.

That happened to me !

One too many…wake up…no kidneys !

I mean…what are the chances ?!

2 Likes

Not really