Prostate Cancer - Ignoring It Won't Beat It

This segment of the social media certainly reaches the parts other segments fail to reach, Véronique. Queen of Hungary Water is a part refreshed, that might have withered and parched, but grace à toi… :relaxed::+1:

1 Like

And does the Queen of Hungary look any better for her beauty treatment?? :thinking:

Well apparently she looked so fab at 70 that the 25 year old Duke of Lorraine suggested they have a fling. This at a time when female life expectancy was about 40 tops.

1 Like

There’s something rather Oedipal about a young man’s lust for a much older woman, but such stirrings are older than history, or at least as old as written records of passion are. And it calls into question modern squeamishness about such feelings, and their real-life enactment.

I can already predict some readers’ reaction to this comment… “My God! The old pervert…why can’t he stick to the script?” :scream::dizzy_face::confounded::grinning:

And prostate cancer is so much more wholesome…

Sex and Prostate Cancer

Just to be clear I’m not making any assumption about a causal link between sex and prostate cancer. The link above relates to dealing with both things at the same time!!

Having tried both (older women and prostate cancer!) - I completely disagree. The sex was much more ‘wholesome’ (for want of a much better word) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There clearly is a connection, and I’m not unaware of it, though the link between sexual activity and the genesis of cancer of the prostate in not so well established, perhaps. I’ve been investigated for the latter myself, and worked in the field of genito-urinary surgical nursing in its rather heroic phase in the 1950s. Memories of running a weekend catheter clinic in Hackney are fresh in my mind…

Hi Helen, just going through this thread and came upon your comment

I hope tha all is well for your daughter and the waiting is over.

Bless you xxxxxx

1 Like

(((((( Hugs Ann )))))) and Thankyou…her next appointment is in October…:heart: x

Simply ask your GP and it will be done.

A timely reminder…

Come on boys, do me (and you) a favour - get those PSA tests done - I was only 53 when diagnosed!

1 Like

New information

2 Likes

Good afternoon readers of the thread. I was scrolling around trying to find out when I had last posted here, and what i had said.
I have a personal update since my last post here.

There had been occasions last year when i had had inflammation that felt like it was coming from the area of groin in the landing strip/prostate area. On 2 occasions i was diagnosed with a UTI, and penicillin issued. At the second time, the diagnosis seemed quicker as they had looked at my history to maybe aid diagnosis. I mean why wouldn’t you.
This cured the symptoms both time; but it was never followed through on why.
Well, all the practices in the area are very busy. Trying to get an appointment on the day you are ill, is ridiculous; so everyone knows how pressured the GP’s are to sort one out before moving to the next.
As it happens, I had been for a PSA just before the 2nd issue requiring penicillin.
The doctor ( again i seemed to get a different one every time), noted to me that my PSA was raised, from 7 to 8. She said she was referring me to consultant urologists at Cheltenham.

By this time i had read a fair bit more of literature, and sort of self diagnosed that i had been having Prostatitis , ( or was hoping it was), but didn’t know why. But is has very similar symptoms to those quoted for prostate cancer.
Came the day of the initial consultation; i was informed that he was pretty sure i indeed did have prostatitis, and the elevated PSA was caused by it. He said we need to see what is going on down there, so I went for an MRI 2 weeks later.
The MRI uncovered that i had an enlarged prostate, and the uretha was being partially blocked. This caused me not to be correctly voiding my bladder, and in turn growth of multiple bladder stones sitting in the bladder. Leakage of urine into the prostate area causing inflammation as well i think.
So, onto a waiting list for an Op i went; and had a TURP last Thursday.
The “scrapings” of the uretha/prostate taken away, are sent automatically for for analysis, and although told there was no reason to be at all worried at this; it will be a relief when i get that answer.
So my issue is that I have BPH ( enlarged prostate), and all men’s prostates grow over time, and it is a common thing to have reduced urine flow .
Although now 3 days after the Op it will take a little time to get back to do various things.
So the problem may not be as bad a first thought, but it needs dealing with.
My symptoms have disappeared already, and i can pee the same as the best of them now. I didn’t realize how much it had deteriorated. If i had said no to the Op, eventually I expect, i would not be able to pee at all - then have to go about my daily chores with a catheter in place…not fun.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info Glenn - thus subject is so important for Men - it is good to keep talking. :hugs:

2 Likes

Second that Stella - really informative post @Glenn and also reassuring. High PSA does not always = cancer!!

I’ve got my 6 monthly PSA test coming up so I always get a bit twitchy and sleepless (and scared!) - bear with me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh there was a little bit of the story i missed. I assumed that I would be given a general anaesthetic , but in the admission ward, I met both the consultant urologist and the anaesthetist, who informed me i would be given a spinal anaesthetic . Now that was a curve ball that I had not gone over in my brain, in preparing myself mentally for the different steps involved.
He said i could watch the Op on the screen :open_mouth: I said yea , not much chance of that happening.

So, i was when my time cam i was walked to the Theatre’s area, and into a room for my anaesthetic prep. I had a little bit of the shakes due to being nervous, and the anaesthetic nurse asked me if i was cold… i said no, it’s my nerves. When they took me in a few minutes later, the master of the anaesthetics gave me a sedative shot…just enough to make me feel normal he said. And yes it worked, my nerves disappeared totally, and I watched the whole thing on screen.
The consultant pointed out the feeds into the bladder from my kidneys, to the stones he was getting out. I didn’t ask any questions as he was chopping slivers and chunks from my prostate , i didnt want his attention to wander. I watched him methodically work down cutting with a heat probe, and cauterising any blood vessels as he went. Great job.
Not being able to feel the lower half of your body is very weird, i couldn’t move my feet /toes even though i knew i was trying to send the signals to them.
Timescales for this. Entered admissions ward 1200, answered questions, met a couple of people, taken for the Op about 1520. Was given anaesthetic, had the Op and was in recovery by 1640. On the ward by about 1740. Catheter removed at 0800 next day, and discharged at about 1300.

2 Likes

When I had a new knee fitted a few years back I was given an epidural-type jab. I asked to watch the operation but the surgeon refused !!! Hearing the procedure what with the sawing of bones and the hammering of metal bits into bone etc was interesting tho’ !

1 Like

During one operation, I was awake but obviously “dead” as the heart monitor suddenly stopped bleeping. :crazy_face:

The family laughed when I told them about it later - but it was not funny at the time. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Reports of my death are greatly exagerrated !

Mark Twain.

You may well laugh (and I can do so now) but it was a very frightening time - everyone working on my extremities, behind a screen- totally oblivious to the fact that my heart had stopped beating… :pensive::pensive:

Our observation machines frequently bleep ‘no pulse detected ‘ usually when you are having a nice chat to the patient