Proud to be British

Totally agree with you Kwashie, what a wonderful display of what the Brits are very good at. We hear so much criticism about Britain (in particular from Brits living in France) so it's good to hold our heads up high. Noticed briefly this morning that the headlines in our local 'Sud Ouest' mentioned the majestic Olympic display. Maybe the person who posted recently about giving up their British passport and taking French nationality will think again!!

Lol, Cate - the new bond girl. I wonder what the writers would name her character...

I thought it was wonderful - a real celebration and very beautiful.

Apparently very few people know that the modern Olympic games were a French creation .
In 1894 Pierre de Coubertin opened the first Olympic Congress in Paris . The Congress decided to play the first modern Olympics of 1896 in Greece, as a tribute to the antique Olympic games held in the city of Olympia .
The second games were held in Paris, in 1900 .
That's why French is the first language of the Olympic games . It's funny nobody noticed this in previous Olympic Games . How comes ? it's always like that .

BTW, the football world cup was also a French creation, Jules Rimet 1930 .
The UEFA Champions League too, in 1955 by the French sports newspaper "L'Equipe".
The UEFA European Nations Championship too, in 1960 by the French Henry Delaunay .

Frnch is apparently the official Olympic language Helen.

I'm not proud to be British, actually - it seems an odd thing to me to proud of something that has nothing to do with achievement - but I am extremely GRATEFUL

The opening ceremony was absolutely amazing - everyone involved should be incredibly proud of that

Superb write-up in the LA Times :

"After seven years of worrying how it would impress the world, London decided to be its dizzy, disjointed self, welcoming the Olympics to its cluttered backyard with a wink and nudge and belly laugh that should resound through these Games' history.

It might not have contained the tradition of Athens or the majesty of Beijing, but London's third opening ceremony was an absolute charm."

Full article on http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-oly-plaschke-ceremony-20120728,0,1499437.column

very valid point Guy!

Just a thought: all these people who denigrate what was on show last night, probably judge it from the point of view of all the CGI and special effects they are used to seeing in the films. It must be remembered that this was all live!!! 'Chapeau', as they say!

French is the OFFICIAL language of the Olympic games with English 2nd -Voila!

Rowan, was a regular customer in my best pal's office supplies shop in Kidlington Oxfordshire, as he was ( and I gather still ) very active in his family's business. Sadly, it seems he was always very normal!

As to Danny Boyle, oh yes, quintisential!

I loved it, liked Rowan Atkinson and thought the Olympic flame was amazing.

I love these answers from Sebastian Coe in a quick Q&A session:

If you could bring something extinct back to life, what would you choose?
Civility.

Who would play you in the film of your life?
Steve Ovett

Excellent idea to do that, perhaps just out of pure politeness! Sure kept everyone listening until the English was done with though!

The modern Olympics were the brainchild of a Frenchman, Baron de Coubertin and yes of course French was the official diplomatic language. I have rather unbelievably seen some postings objecting to the use of French in the ceremony. From what I have seen of the French press and from my conversations with French friends they are very complimentary indeed about the Olympics so far and have been full of praise for "Our friends and neighbours" and the British way of life (some of which is based on fond memory of times past). You just wonder what the British press might say about any Gallic event. Despite the fact that I prefer to live in France it was undeniably a very successful occasion and at times moving. Self depreciating humour is after all a British speciality. Was this the same Queen who couldn't cope in '97?

I loved every minute of it, especially David arriving in speed boat!!

Very clever and makes me very proud of my country.

You're talking of baron de Coubertin. But the present prez, Rogge, is actually Belgian!

And "Nice one, Your Majesty ♔(& Corgis)" for letting the cameras loose around your pad and parachuting out of a helicopter with 007, regardless of the weather ☂.

Thanks for that Guy, I knew there must have been a good reason.

I liked Her Maj 'jumping' out of the helicopter with James Bond... How on earth did they persuade her to do that scene? It shows she has a sense of humour but did the 'jump' reduce her majesty? The whole show initially seemed a bit bizarre to start, but I soon got into it. But I wonder if foreigners got it?

Think the announcements were in French as the President of the OC is French and weren't the modern Olympics masterminded by a Frenchman - the guy who designed the Olympic rings?