Pumping water from the kitchen sink?

Because of the arrangement of rooms and position of the mains waste pipe it’s difficult to arrange gravity feed of water from the site of ou proposed kitchen. In the UK it’s possible to have a small tank and a pump that can lift the grey water enabling a different route. Does anyone know if this is ‘aux norms’ in France? It would give a lot more flexibility.

Interesting question… friends have a macerator toilet in their “below ground” bathroom, which pumps the waste up to the height where it meets the main-drains. Thus I would think something would/should similarly be available for kitchens.

1 Like

A saniflow will do this, several versions for sinks and showers. Available in France.

2 Likes

Saniflow, my plumber affectionately called them jobby chompers :rofl:

3 Likes

Ha ha… but a kitchen is not a toilet… I presume there doesn’t have to be a toilet attached to the Saniflow… just the outflow from the kitchen sinks and appliances… ???

1 Like

:woman_shrugging:

I was questioning “jobby chompers” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Thank you - so they are a thing in France. I shall investigate further, since they seem to be spendy little beggars in the UK (best price so far >£200, many going to £800+). This is ONLY for kitchen sink water, so no chomping required since food waste either pre or post digestion doesn’t go down the sink.

1 Like

They are not cheap in France… but I would still suggest you do buy a French one which will have its guarantee here…

If you have a problem, you don’t want to be disconnecting it and taking it back to UK… :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, as much as practicably possible I shall source equipment and materials in France. We will have to be careful NOT to use the sink if there’s ever a power cut. :frowning:

We were on well-water in UK and if the electricity went off… no water… and we went thirsty… :rofl: never mind the washing up…

1 Like

I find that very hard to believe :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::wink::rofl:

3 Likes

Younger brother was horrified to learn that we had well water and a fosse… he brought a giant bottle of scotch, intending to only drink that during his first hols with us in our new home… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Saniflo is called Watermatic in France Made by Setma in France. Search under Watermatic. We fitted a Saniflo that was bought in England which guests buggered. We had the identical beast under the Watermatic brand the next day. Dont know this posted twice

Thanks David, that’s really helpful.

I went to Saniflo’s French site, but they only seemed to link to professional installers, although that may well be the route I go anyway. I noticed that Grundfoss also make a suitable unit, and the UK listed item has a 5 year guarantee instead of just 2 years for Saniflo. I quite like Grundfoss kit too, and our central heating recirc pump is around 25 years old now. I need to produce some MORE plans and then go talk with a plumber.

There is often a different dia of pipe for Grundfoss units to saniflow, 22mm vs ?? And different rise and horizontal run lengths so just check that part.

Looks like I mis-read the warranty - 2 years on this unit (I’m SURE that’s not what I read earlier, but who knows?). Output available in a range of adapted sizes down to 22mm.

I won’t need more than 4 meters lift - only need to reach just over floor level upstairs to get the water into the bathroom waste and back downstairs again. The wall between the bedroom and bathroom is 50cm at that point, so much more doable than the >1M wall of the cellar. I’ve bored thicker walls than that myself in our present cottage.

This is what I use to lift sink and dishwasher water into the grey water pipe.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07W4KBHRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has worked well for over 3 years now.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s a good low cost option.

We’ve got a Saniflo pump for our kitchen sink and dishwasher, it doesn’t have to pump ‘up hill’ but the distance to our ‘fosse toutes eaux’ connection is a good 15 metres which it copes with easily. They’re not cheap and need cleaning out every year as we’re in hard water area, I’m confident enough to fit one myself as it’s relatively simple.

1 Like