Put down that steak knife

No need to be depressed… what you read isn’t necessarily the whole story.

I remember how much I enjoyed smoking a St Moritz cigarette … and I’m happy to discuss the subject… but I haven’t smoked any sort of cigarette for about 50 years…

EDIT: OH and I have reduced our meat intake in recent years. We thoroughly enjoy it, when we do eat it… but it is not every day of the week.

2 Likes

Also, there’s another way of looking at this. I was a vegetarian in my youth, and hence explored some of the richness of vegetarian and vegan cuisine. I now eat meat occasionally, and fish (which I prefer) more often - but let’s be clear: reducing meat consumption is not a sacrifice - it’s about the rewards of exploring even more delicious cooking and eating.
Meat used as a small addition of savoury flavour - eg. lardons - can add something to many dishes, but a slab of meat on your plate, surely, is bland and uninteresting compared with making fresh vegetables the centre of the meal?

1 Like

I agree @Geof_Cox . Since retirement, we’ve found ourselves eating less meat and exploring more vegetarian food. Growing our own veg and fruit has helped with this. After all, what do you do with a 12Kg pumpkin :thinking:. I also started cooking my own curries from scratch, and there’s loads of interesting vegetarian Indian food. It’s also very easy to adjust a meat curry recipe to make it veggy. There’s not much you cant put in a curry :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

OK so I may be the bad boy here but I have looked into both sides of the topic and it is not as clear cut as you may think. Land used for farming cannot necessarily be cultivated, using land for both seems to be a better plan as it provides benefits for all. That includes fertilising and turning over the soil.
Just as with so many modern things the “Money” seeks to influence our choices.
Eating too much carbohydrates and less nutritious food coupled with seed oils will make populations sick.
Making people sick only to have to live with medication makes the “Money” more money.
Ripping apart land to grow crops of financial benefit is not good either.
Its certainly not a clear cut win for either argument.
The huge amount of crop chemicals thrown on the land entering water courses and the huge amount of pharmaceuticals fed to livestock is also very bad.
The biggest problem is the overpopulation of humans.

2 Likes

This isn’t just about eating ‘less meat’, we should be eating less full stop. Most of us live sedentary lives now so don’t need the huge daily calorie intake to survive.

2 Likes

It isnt just about eating less either, this is a highly emotive subject, its also what you eat the basic calories in calories out of the 1900’s has moved on. The big food producers have a way of making you stay hungry and graze all day or with 3-4 hour gaps between feeling hungry. Hiding sugars or mislabeling ingredients to boost sales.
Complex but I do agree, look back at 1970’s photos people were not grossly over weight.

1 Like

Sanctamonious some of the comments.The holier then thou attitude is wearing thin !

3 Likes

Explain please.

1 Like

I remarked earlier in the thread that it is possible to make both an environmental and an ethical case for eating a little meat - but that mass-production and consumption is not defensible.

Population is not in fact a central issue, because agriculture would be immeasurably more productive focused on sustainable fruit and vegetable growing with much less livestock.
It’s been clear since the UN Report Trade and Environment Review 2013: Wake Up Before it is Too Late that “small scale organic farming is the only way to feed the world”, and that what’s needed is “a rapid and significant shift from conventional, monoculture-based and high-external-input-dependent industrial production toward mosaics of sustainable, regenerative production systems”.

As with most environmental issues, it’s pretty clear what’s needed. The problem lies in the fact that what’s needed is massive change to our lifestyles and, moreover, our economies - and governments generally don’t have the independence or the courage to undertake the necessary change.

1 Like

Meat will return to its pre-industrial status - an expensive luxury few can afford.

A pity as I think my son is an obligate carnivore.

This conversation recurs regularly and goes around in circles. We are omnivores.
I eat a little happy meat from time to time, I like it best raw or nearly raw. We should probably all eat less meat and certainly campaign to end factory farming. People who make a fuss about meat should really make as much fuss about milk, cheese etc, if they are worried about welfare. I think we should all stop eating fish as the industry is so destructive and fish-farming is disgusting.
Personally if I never ate meat again in my whole life I don’t think I’d be bothered - I think it may have been Shelley who said if you weren’t prepared to kill the creature yourself then you shouldn’t eat it and I rather agree. I would have trouble not eating eggs ever again.
Soylent Green anyone?

5 Likes

There’s a few pages in that report, that’ll take a while

YOU should do this YOU should do that.Always the fault of something or someone else.I say this look after your own affairs and keep your noses out of what others do.

1 Like

Your comments never fail to cheer me up @Flocreen, it’s like a drive-by assault :laughing:

4 Likes

Tosh, we all eat too much. You might see that as being ‘sanctimonious’ (if you bothered to spell the word correctly) but it’s a fact. :wink:

3 Likes

Now repeat that standing in front of a mirror

2 Likes

In your opinion

There is though a certain irony to your posts, isn’t there?

I’ve long been in the habit of only eating once a day….somewhere between 3.30 and 4 pm…if I’m really stressed I don’t even bother eatiing and I don’t miss it……

I used to eat fish but I’ve gone off fish….

I’m not vegan although I’ve reduced cheese intake and don’t ever drink milk although I have ricore throughout the day and know this has milk powder in it….

My raw fed Border Collies get fed twice a day….

I console myself that my lack of eating meat balances out the raw diet my Collies need to maintain their health and well-being but it’s a daily struggle for me at least….

When I read about the horrors of lab grown meat and the B&MG foundation buying up farmland in USA and the CCP with their looming food and fuel shortages then I do wonder what else I can feasibly do as an ethical and compassionate individual to stem the tide….??? :thinking:

Great film, but :scream::face_vomiting:

1 Like