Quality wine

In a few months our son is getting married for the second time We’d like to give them something but they have all the gadgets etc that they need. His partner is very fond of wine so we thought we’d try and get them something that they wouldn’t normally buy either a couple of bottles of something really expensive or a case if of good quality wine. My experience of quality wine is about nil. I usually end up buying a pinot noir from Lidl for about 5 euros. I’ve tried spending more but I haven’t found anything worth the extra price. We did go to a good French restaurant last year and the wine was expensive but excellent so if all else fails we shall go back there and check their wine list. Anyway I’m sure there must be someone on SF with a good knowledge of French wine?

Wine varies so much and so do people.
I can enjoy something another might spit out… and vice versa…

Unless you know a particular wine your son enjoys (but perhaps can’t afford as often as he might like)… personally I’d try to find another “present” idea.

Depending on your funds… a slap up meal for two, at a really good restaurant…
or a weekend away… or a spa visit…
This sort of thing can be arranged … and possibly worth thinking about.

Personally, I’d love tickets to an André Rieu concert… :+1:

1 Like

What about finding a good wine merchant near you and send them there for a tasting?

You could lodge a suitable sum behind the counter to fund their purchase. Or part-fund if their tastes are more Château Lafite than Château Leclerc…

5 Likes

I have a friend who did a champagne visit, at the end of which she was taught how to remove the cork from a bottle with a sabre - and was awarded a certificate on completion.

But I like Brian’s idea too.

There you are Stella Sunday 12 March Barcelona tickets available. He no longer visits France. So its there or DVDs.

I like Brian’s idea it’s the sort of thing they would enjoy. Better give it a try ourselves first though!

2 Likes

Personally… OH and I really do enjoy a good wine-tasting… although I never actually spit it out… (hic, hic)

We’ve done several over the years and that’s why our cellar is stocked with such a wide (and good) selection…
We’re now at the stage of enjoying what we’ve collected… no point leaving it for the heirs… our daughter doesn’t like wine (heretic) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
EDIT: our wine-tasting has mostly been in France and I can explain/describe so much of this glorious country as a result… even if I don’t remember the names of the places themselves… :rofl: :rofl:

He’ll be coming back to France… and I can wait… other than that, we’ve good friends near where he lives in Holland… might be able to beg a bed for the night… :wink:

Where does son live, France, UK or somewhere else? Winetasting is quite good, but they would have to live or be visiting somewhere suitable. Not many wineries in Manchester.

I like the idea of a mixed case of wine that they wouldn’t normally buy. Not necessarily because of cost, but also less common things, like the Lebanese wine Chateau Musar (or more affordable chateau Ka) or a Georgian wine. Presents for me should be something I wouldn’t get myself - and that the person has thought about. But you need to have a vague idea of what they like - full bodied, dry, semi-sweet, lighter in alcohol, etc etc.

A mixed case looks/sounds interesting and can be very good… provided the recipient does actually like all the wines inside… otherwise it can be slightly disappointing.

Even in UK, a good winemerchant will organize a wine-tasting… such fun and one can taste and buy delicious wines with confidence.

Winchester UK. Yes another good idea. So if we were to go to a local wine merchant and explain what we want we would be able to taste the wine first? We were thinking of spending about 100 euros

I get one for OH’s birthday every year. There are always wines he likes less (I’ve yet to find one her doesn’t like at all!) but even that he finds interesting as adds to his taste bud’s knowledge. And always something that is a revelation to him. Depends how wine buff’y they are.

1 Like

Well that’s my OH birthday sorted! But we’ll checkout the wine merchants in Winchester, it could be an enjoyable experience for them and I’m pretty sure they haven’t done it before

1 Like

Winchester is a brilliant location as so many great vineyards now. Not only is there my all time favorite sparkling-wine-that-one-must-not-call-champagne - NyeTimber but also the Hampshire wine school and loads of places that do visits and tasting

https://www.gbvg.uk/vineyard/nyetimber-hazeldown-vineyard

2 Likes

Nyetimber.

1 Like

Red or white? And presume 100 euro’s is per bottle? :slight_smile:

Well it would never occur to me to spend that much on one bottle of wine. That’s out of my league. 20-40 £,€ yes for a very special occasion. Thanks Jane for those two wine suggestions, we shall certainly try them. But there must be a French wine as good? My OH used to enjoy the Italian Pinot Grigio wines but the nearest we found in France are the Alsace Reislings. I’ve just found out the Pinot Grigio in France is called Pinot Gris but apparently is a heavier wine than the Italian.

I’m not sure I could drink a bottle over €100! We get Nyetimber when there are special offers, and happily bought several cases of Chateau Musar many years ago for an extremely reasonable sum (it keeps well!).

I had assumed your son & DIL were in France so up to their back teeth in French wine. Although we love French wine, we do yearn for something else from time to time, hence thinking on non-French stuff. I can think of loads of good French wines for far less than your maximum - in the €15 -€20 band. But we need a clue as to tastes - red, white, dry, slightly sweeter, full bodied, etc.

We often go for vineyards that are just outside the AOP area as extremely similar taste for less money. However have found that people do like to have a name they recognise.

If you are in the UK, try to get hold of a guy called Peter Tomkins at Waddesdon Manor. He is a wine advisor for the Rothschilds. He can offer a tasting session at Waddesdon and you can give them vouchers to buy some wine after the tasting session.:sunglasses::+1::wine_glass::wine_glass:

2 Likes

I am still UK-based currently and buy from a wine merchant in Guildford called Wine&Something - they have a great selection of wines at prices from under £10 per bottle, all sourced directly from small independent producers and chosen by a Master of Wine (actually she’s a Mrs. but I don’t think that’s an official title!)

They are really nice people to deal with - one of the owners attends the same business networking group as me so I know them well.

They would be able to ship to Winchester no problem - their packaging is really excellent.

If you want to keep the French connection you could choose all French wines?

Anyway have a look and see what you think - you can order online so its an easy solution I would think.

2 Likes