Question:sharing water supply with farmer for his calves

A notaire is a qualified lawyer, however also employed as public official.

Lawyers, as in avocats, are considerably more expensive!

1 Like

I think that was more to do with land usage

I sometimes feel that can be true, I think there is a more ā€œflexibleā€ approach to some rules and regulations in France than in the UK (the trick is knowing which ones :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) but in this case I would feel uncomfortable with the arrangement. I know that doesnā€™t help you one iota in extricating yourself from it but if it were me Iā€™d be concerned. There are too many issues that could go wrong (Veolia, Impots, Marie, relationship with the farmer, etc.), I just wouldnā€™t want the hassle if they did. I like @Flocreen suggestion the he put in a pipe to the road, or would Veolia put two meters on your supply?

If the Farmer produced a letter from the Marie saying that it was all hunky dory and I then had it on file, Iā€™d probably feel a bit better.

1 Like

Sensible advice. I will test the water with an interim request for reimbursement as soon as I get my next water bill. If there is any ā€˜stickinessā€™ in paying, we will simply cut off the water, after giving reasonable notice. I honestly doubt there will be a problem in that regard, though you donā€™t know until you actually ask for money!.The farmer has put a sub-meter on the pipe, and he canā€™t access the meter as itā€™s wholly on our land, and he has no right of access to itā€¦

What fascinated me was the reaction of several of my wifeā€™s fellow volunteers at the local clothes bank, all of whom are Frenchā€¦They initially couldnā€™t understand even why my wife was mentioning it - ā€œis there a problem?ā€ etc. After she explained that the supply of water might be technically illegal, there were shrugs all round, and comments like ā€˜itā€™s only a little amount of waterā€™ā€¦She asked them whether they thought there was a risk from the water company querying the increase in usage, eg when visiting to read the meterā€¦The universal response was 'tell them itā€™s to water those cows" and point them outā€¦I guess itā€™s not uncommon to have a few sheep or cows next door to your house and gardenā€¦

2 Likes

If there is a sub meter on the pipe then take photos of the reading at regular intervals, and maybe when it gets to a round number of m3 ask him for his contribution? Look at your last water bill carefully as Iā€™m amazed that you reckon only ā‚¬2. For us there is the water then another 2 or three extra items that are based on the litres used.

When I am given a gallic shrug and told that the French wouldnā€™t bother to do X I gently point out I am not French and as a foreigner need to be extra careful. We can have our residence cards removed for (eg) employing an illegal foreign worker.

I am actually French now but as part of the naturalisation process everything is checked and people have been refused because their neighbours complained about them!

1 Like

I have a well practised such shrug and for exactly the same reasons. :wink: :grinning:

Well in that case I think on balance Iā€™d go with the flow :slightly_smiling_face: When in Rome, etc.

2 Likes

I donā€™t agree with that Jane. I donā€™t break laws but I do take a lead from my friends and neighbours as to what is reasonable. Anyway, youā€™re French now :slightly_smiling_face:

i think we do, there are a lot of people who are xenophobic and what they would shrug off from a French person would not be as easily accepted by a non-French person. So for example I am careful about not paying cash in hand - which French neighbours do without thinking. All it takes is one disgruntled person to mention it to the wrong person and trouble could ensue. Iā€m not paranoid about it, just careful.

One is also more easily identifiable.

1 Like

I have to say that was my reaction too.

1 Like

I had started to doubt myselfā€¦ Iā€™ve reconciled the stated cost of 2.08ā‚¬ TTC per m3 to the detail of the last bill, and surprisingly it really does stack up. The small print says, correctly, that the cost doesnā€™t include the standing charge/abonnement, and nor does it include an amount for redevances, but neither appear to be volume related. I agreed with the farmer heā€™d meet the costs of the volume related charges, TTC. I will definitely check the calves meter periodically, and my own to get comfortable all is working as it should.

As an aside, I gather (from someone that knows him) that the farmer would be quite uncomfortable with the idea of not paying (ie being given the water for free) which has been creatively suggested elsewhere, as a means of dealing with possible ā€˜illegalityā€™ of reselling water.

2 Likes

I understand your concerns Jane, and maybe Iā€™ve just been lucky, but over forty years 99.9% of the time Iā€™ve found the French to be very welcoming and helpful and Iā€™ve never worried about not being ā€œindigenousā€. We donā€™t break laws (intentionally) but we do follow local ā€œcustomsā€ based on advice from trusted friends. To be honest, I think one can even get a bit more latitude than the locals as an earnest foreigner doing their best to navigate through the French bureaucratic maze. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Youā€™re running a business of course and Iā€™m sure that requires greater stringency than just being the retired couple down the road, like us.

On the handful of occasions that Iā€™ve encountered anti foreigner sentiment the perpetrators have always got a lot more than they bargained for. As far as Iā€™m concerned Iā€™ve as much right to be here as they have :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m not French, although lived here much of my adult life. My reaction was the same as well, perhaps us Aussies are a bit more laid back! Also as a farmers daughter understand the importance of helping out. The fact it is so little water too, hardly a huge herd.

3 Likes

Remarkable. I wonder what type of neighbourly complaint would actually terminate a naturalisation process?!

1 Like

ā€¦And finally, here is said newly installed cattle trough now fed from ā€˜ourā€™ mains water, coming from our house, below. In the background, behind the house is an arboretum and the forest.

Many thanks once again to everyone who has contributed to this thread, so appreciated by me.

7 Likes

You have to show you are of ā€œbonne vie et mouersā€ so the police examine your dossier. Neighbour complaints for aggressive behaviour or continual ā€œtapage nocturneā€ could scupper your chances either entirely or lead to a two year adjournment.

1 Like

Not a term Iā€™m (probably thankfully) familiar with.

That sounds like noise produced by Onan the barbarian, but probably isnā€™t.

1 Like

Or the Deathwatch beetle.

1 Like