Quotes To Live By

@Peter_Bird … it may not be the correct wording but I knew exactly what was meant by the quote you offered… :hugs:

Maybe a cut throat.

NeverGoBack

1 Like

I’m going to challenge that quote Simon, 25 years ago BIL then aged 18 was in his first serious relationship and was so in love that he had the girl’s name tattooed on his bum. Sadly they split up and he married someone else but when the marriage ended a couple of years of ago the teenage sweethearts got back together and they are now buying a house, in hindsight they should never have split up.

1 Like

How lovely… I do like a happy ending… :hugs:

1 Like

To change the name and not the Letter…
You marry for worse and not for better…

My mother uttered this dark prediction… when I announced that my boyfriend wanted to marry me… :zipper_mouth_face: and she repeated it doggedly during the months of our engagement… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

The fact that we have been happily married for so many years, means we have certainly proved her wrong… :hugs:

(oh, and this is her interpretation of the well-known saying… so don’t bother to offer well-intentioned corrections)

2 Likes

Speaks very directly to me, and thus I think all human creatures equally. It certainly seems to cover all of life, the whole spread. I shall keep it by me.

Typically mordant, Jane, but also typically well-judged and well-aimed IMO. :zipper_mouth_face:

What about the tattoo? Did his wife have the same name? Did he have it burnt off? Did he put a bit of elastoplast on it? Very intriguing!

No, wife’s name was different, but here’s the spooky thing though (and where I opened my big mouth again), we went to see BIL whilst he was separating and still living in the same house as the wife (please don’t ask as it’s too mad) and over dinner were talking about tattoos when he told us about his, within a matter of weeks he was back with his first love. We then drove from BIL’s house to stay with the in-laws and whilst talking about our eldest’s new tattoo I said ‘*** told us about his’, to which they replied ‘what tattoo?’, BIL had never told them!

thanks for reminding me of this. It’s always worth reading and I find Desiderata very comforting. I’m lucky in that I’ve had very few times of extreme stress in my life but this is one passage that I have reached to, a few times, when needed.

1 Like

Wow, in those few words are two whole different approaches to life. I really like that: I was just diagnosed with a cancer and this quote has hit me at a lonely, frightened moment. Thank you for this.

5 Likes

Hang on in there Elizabeth… :hugs::hugs:

Hi Elizabeth,
I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy.
That was in June 2002 and I am well and have had no recurrences.
Go with it and find someone in whom you have confidence and I am sure you will come out fine.
Much love.

Thank you so much, Jane and Stella, for these kind words and caring thoughts. They have strengthened me and given me hope for the day ahead. How kind of you both.

1 Like

“Remember, Cancer is a word not a sentence”

A never forgotten quote from a poster on the wall of the waiting room in the Radiotherapists office in Oldchurch Hospital.

1 Like

Elizabeth… I have sent you a private message… so, look out for it… :hugs:

I was born in Oldchurch

1 Like

I wish you all the strength you will need to deal with your news.

All the best xxxx

@elizabeth_sinnott remember you’re now part of an enormous ‘club’ - the membership criteria is pretty naff but the support available within it is just amazing. Shout, scream, laugh and cry but don’t forget to ask for help whenever you need it :sunflower::sunflower::sunflower:

5 Likes